Worst Trade Deadline Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Every year it's "the worst trade deadline ever". Perhaps we'd be better served by lowering our expectations to the current reality. With the addition of the wild card in the 12990s and the second wild card last year, more teams are in contention or perceive themselves that way, so there are less players on the market and higher prices set on them.
    Last year's trade deadline was uneventful? Seriously?

On July 31st alone last year, Hunter Pence, Shane Victorino, Ryan Dempster, Gaby Sanchez, Jonathan Broxton & Edward Mujica all switched hands. The week leading up to it, Paul Maholm, Brad Lincoln, Travis Snider, Chris Johnson, Francisco Liriano, Zach Greinke, Marco Scutaro, Hanley Ramirez, Wandy Rodriguez, Ichiro, Anibal Sanchez, Jeremy Guthrie & Brett Myers all were dealt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      The Cubs fail to trade two more OF that they got for the purpose of trading!
      And why is Kevin Gregg still on the roster?

Comment

Boring for sure. I like getting Peavy as a Red Sox fan but overall really ho-hum.
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
          Confirmed: Worst trade deadline ever.
          Originally posted by revo View Post
          Yes, it was.
          Don't forget the Drew Butera to Dodgers late trade...
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I did my part to help you guys out.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              Got yourself some Hoes!
              Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Brosius before hoesius!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  I'm really surprised the A's weren't in on Norris. Established GM relationship, looking for SP depth... why not?

Comment

I wonder if teams out of contention were focused on acquiring top 100 prospects, while teams in contention aren't willing to trade those guys. They wait until the deadline, nobody blinks. Foolish; how are the Mariners/Phillies better off still owning some of the guys in the last year of their contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                      I'm really surprised the A's weren't in on Norris. Established GM relationship, looking for SP depth... why not?
                      Maybe they were but were simply outbid? I thought the Astros got a pretty good haul for Norris. Or maybe the A's weren't interested. Cardinals beat writer was reporting that the Cardinals didn't think much of Norris so weren't trying for him.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                        I wonder if teams out of contention were focused on acquiring top 100 prospects, while teams in contention aren't willing to trade those guys. They wait until the deadline, nobody blinks. Foolish; how are the Mariners/Phillies better off still owning some of the guys in the last year of their contract?
                        Yeah, I don't understand keeping guys like Ruiz and Ibanez. They're not getting qualifying offers. Even if you don't get a top 100 prospect maybe you get a high ceiling, slim chance of reaching it guy, or even a quad-A future utility infielder type.

Comment

In recent years there have been plenty of trades done after the July 31 deadline, so maybe we're seeing a new trend that players will pass through waivers more easily than they used to. Prior to the last few years, I remember August having like one or two trades, but last year there were more than a dozen deals, including that LA-BOS blockbuster.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                            the asking price may have been much more than they were willing to pay. Or, maybe they don't think Norris is that good, even after filtering out the CURRENT status of the team he was with in Houston.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Working...
                            X