No announcement yet.

Worst Trade Deadline Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade deadlines will continue to be quieter than in past because of the tremendous cost to teams acquiring major league talent. With the new CBA, prospects / cost-controlled players became significantly more valuable. This has certainly changed teams' thinking about deadline deals.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      Trade deadlines will continue to be quieter than in past because of the tremendous cost to teams acquiring major league talent. With the new CBA, prospects / cost-controlled players became significantly more valuable. This has certainly changed teams' thinking about deadline deals.
      I don't think that's as big a factor as teams simply not knowing if they've actually got a chance or not now that there's a second wildcard. Fangraphs had a decent article on this today, and I endorse their opinion of moving the deadline back to accommodate the higher likelihood of making the playoffs now that there are more spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
        I don't think that's as big a factor as teams simply not knowing if they've actually got a chance or not now that there's a second wildcard. Fangraphs had a decent article on this today, and I endorse their opinion of moving the deadline back to accommodate the higher likelihood of making the playoffs now that there are more spots.
        Fewer delusional GMs would help, too (looking at you Dayton Moore and Ruin Tomorrow Jr.)

Comment

Thought i would bump this thread with an interesting read on "The Greatest Trade in Every MLB Franchise's History".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...chises-history

I learned something interesting from the article. The White Sox offered "Shoeless" Joe Jackson and $60k to the Red Sox in exchange for Babe Ruth but were turned down due to the Yankees offer of $100k. Ruth was traded on January 3, 1920. How much the White Sox knew at that time about the World Series scandal and the future of Jackson (1920 was his last season) is questionable. Maybe Mr Comiskey was trying to sell high lol.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Scott Downs to Braves for Cory Rasmus (the P not the OF)

so there's one guy we'll be bidding on Wed nite (maybe)
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Confirmed: Worst trade deadline ever.

Comment

Confirmed: Worst trade deadline ever.
                Yes, it was.

Comment

what if they held a FAAB party and nobody (except Scott Downs) came?

we're NL-only and only FAAB to guys coming from AL. this is usually bonanza week....
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Every year it's "the worst trade deadline ever". Perhaps we'd be better served by lowering our expectations to the current reality. With the addition of the wild card in the 12990s and the second wild card last year, more teams are in contention or perceive themselves that way, so there are less players on the market and higher prices set on them.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Dullest trade deadline yet?

Can you think of a year when almost NOTHING happened after all the hype?
                      Bearin' up!

Comment

Actually, it's already being hyped as the worst trade deadline ever...

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                          Every year it's "the worst trade deadline ever". Perhaps we'd be better served by lowering our expectations to the current reality. With the addition of the wild card in the 12990s and the second wild card last year, more teams are in contention or perceive themselves that way, so there are less players on the market and higher prices set on them.
                          I don't think it's nearly this uneventful every year. The confluence of scenarios that brought on this snoozefest included the 2nd wild card, as you mentioned, but it was also caused by a deluge of GM's who all were more interested in keeping their jobs than bettering their team's longterm future (see: Zduriencik, Dayton Moore, and Amaro).

Comment

but it was also caused by a deluge of GM's who all were more interested in keeping their jobs than bettering their team's longterm future (see: Zduriencik, Dayton Moore, and Amaro).
                            Good point. It's similar to the business world, in which CEOs and analysts alike talk about "the long term" but change course quarter-to-quarter to keep their jobs.

Of course, the reason some GMs don't sell at the deadline could be that they're not all that good at their jobs and don't or won't recognize it.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

The Cubs fail to trade two more OF that they got for the purpose of trading!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                The Cubs fail to trade two more OF that they got for the purpose of trading!
                                Don't worry, Theo will sign some big names to bad contracts, at first it will be exciting but then the team won't live up to the expectations and then he will leave a few years later and let someone else clean up his mess.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X