• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Trade Deadline Ever?

The inactivity is killing me!

Quiet before the storm?

Comment

Still almost 2 weeks to go. Last year by this date, only Carlos Lee & Jim Thome had been traded.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Still almost 2 weeks to go. Last year by this date, only Carlos Lee & Jim Thome had been traded.
        when you say "last year" you mean about 1998 right?

Comment

Direct correlation to the extra wild-card team
          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
            Direct correlation to the extra wild-card team
            Yup. It's a snoozefest for deadline trades

Comment

They are saying he did not run out a ball, so he was removed...

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                They are saying he did not run out a ball, so he was removed...
                I remember when you used to give me hugs if I didn't run out a ball when we played slow-pitch.

Comment

could be to Pirates with major prospect Alen Hansen involved

lots of stuff shaking out soon
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Last year by this point we had traded:
                    Carlos Lee (July 4)
                    J.A. Happ, Brandon Lyon, David Carpenter (July 20)

and the following trades were yet to happen:
                    Brett Myers (July 21)
                    Wandy Rodriguez (July 24)
                    Chris Johnson (July 29)
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Perhaps I'm imagining this, but it seems to me that every year we get the "why aren't there more trades?" articles and threads. Dust 'em off, change a few names, resubmit, kind of like a "New England will win the Super Bowl" feature on ESPN.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                        Perhaps I'm imagining this, but it seems to me that every year we get the "why aren't there more trades?" articles and threads. Dust 'em off, change a few names, resubmit, kind of like a "New England will win the Super Bowl" feature on ESPN.
                        I'm not usually a naysayer as far as trade deadlines go. I don't need blockbusters. It's just the total lack of activity this year vs. in years past. There are almost always tons of small deals, and we've seen almost none of that. Combine that with the lack of moderate or big ticket players and you've got a snoozefest so far. It doesn't help that teams like the Royals, Mariners, and Phillies have all decided they need to push through till the bitter end (honestly, for Seattle it's not a big deal to me since they don't have any good players to deal that they can't also give qualifying offers to in the off-season for compensation, but Kansas City and Philly are being daft, in my opinion).

I've never exclaimed another trade deadline (or the months leading up to it) were boring in terms of trades, but this year has been especially quiet.

Comment

Matt Garza to the Rangers for C.J. Edwards, Justin Grimm, Mike Olt, and 1-2 PTBNL. Seems like a good return for Hoyer, Theo, et al.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                            Matt Garza to the Rangers for C.J. Edwards, Justin Grimm, Mike Olt, and 1-2 PTBNL. Seems like a good return for Hoyer, Theo, et al.
                            Agreed. I don't have much affinity for Olt, but Edwards is an interesting arm (and Grimm is actually a pretty decent back-end flier type). Olt gives them positional depth and a guy with some power who might be able to figure it out given lots of time (which the Cubs should have). I know there are some reservations about him given the other third basemen in the Cubs' system, but Baez is still pretty far off (and has been struggling due to a mediocre approach) and we haven't seen much of anything from new draftee Kris Bryant (who the heck knows what he might become). Olt will probably come up sometime in the second half and the Cubs will give him some rope to run with for a while.

Garza in Texas is kindof crappy for Garza owners, but it gives him a chance to increase his market value for the off-season while the Rangers extract every ounce of contract year goodness that they can get out of him.

Comment

After Dempster last year and Garza this year, which SP goes from the Cubs to the Rangers next year?

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                              X