Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which One For Next Year: Tyler Skaggs, Carlos Martinez, Or Kolten Wong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RSF View Post
    If you think his power magically went up more than 50% (iso) while his FB rate went down, that's your prerogative.

I think in most keeper leagues most owners will value him for his historical production not 150 ABs this year. But all it takes is one who thinks it is real growth (and that he'll play regularly next year) to have to go all the way to $3 next year on him instead
    Nothing magic about it...it's a player getting an opportunity to show what he's flashed in the past. You don't like a cheap keeper, again, that's certainly your choice. If you want a trade chip, Skaggs or Martinez is probably your guy. If you're playing for next year, finding a 1 buck keeper that'll produce, without having to get into a bidding tussle, works for me.

It all depends on what Sheep wants to do for 2014...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I think Hornsby raises a good point that Schierholz is likely going to earn the most roto $ in 2014 of the three. But I'd also think Skaggs or Carlos Martinez would ultimately be worth more roto $ in 2014, because he could flip one of them for a better player than Schierholz in 2014 to a 2014 dumper. From that perspective, Martinez is arguably the best choice, since he'll still be hot prospect, whereas Skaggs might have too many mediocre major league innings.

Comment

I think you missed the numbers I cited, or just disagree---statistically, he has not done this in the past, and thus their is significant uncertainty about whether it is realistic to project 2014 as you have, rather than on his historical production.

To each their own; I'm a numbers guy, and people who are more 'feel' based often have different valuations---that's what makes Fantasy work.

Separate from how one projects him, there are different views of keepers. I am not of the view that a $2-$5 production guy for $1 is generally worth keeping; others view 'profit' on a guy as the most important criteria. To each their own once again

Comment

For me, a farm C Martinez was a major piece of a rebuild trade I did, just as valuable as the $4 Evan Gattis and the $5 Mike Minor I received back in my 12 TM NL. Our farm keeper rules are generous though, C Martinez will be a $5 piece at least thru 2015, assuming I bring him up this year. If he does not lose rookie status this year and I dont bring him up, he will be $5 thru 2016, with $5 escalating per year if I wanted to extend. BA ranked # 38/ BP ranked 43/ Scouting Book # 19, a power arm better ranked than M Wacha for instance. For me, its an easy call (for my leagues rules) for C Martinez, assuming you are part of a healthy long term league not in danger of folding in next few years, but hey, different strokes for diff folks. In this instance where C Martinez is already on an escalating salary if I go beyond 2014, not as attractive a piece.

Comment

Working...
          X