Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which One For Next Year: Tyler Skaggs, Carlos Martinez, Or Kolten Wong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which One For Next Year: Tyler Skaggs, Carlos Martinez, Or Kolten Wong?

Hey All,

Crippled by injury and suckitude, I'm bagging it in my NL-only 4x4 keeper league and building for 2014 and beyond. I have a dump deal in place, and am being offered my choice of Skaggs, Martinez, or Wong. All three would be $5 next year, and extendable for $5 per additional year. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to make sure I'm not missing any angles - who do you like for 2014 and beyond, and why? And, how many years would you extend your pick?

League categories are: BA, HR, RBI, SB, ERA, Wins, K's, and Saves.

Thanks!
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

That's the best that you can get? Honestly, I don't really like any of them all that much. Kid pitchers suck ass, and Wong really isn't an impact type of guy, IMO. Anyone else that you can fish for?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      That's the best that you can get? Honestly, I don't really like any of them all that much. Kid pitchers suck ass, and Wong really isn't an impact type of guy, IMO. Anyone else that you can fish for?
      i'm assuming there are other pieces to the deal, and this is just the final part???
      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
        i'm assuming there are other pieces to the deal, and this is just the final part???
        Probably, but unless the rest of the deal is killer, I don't like this part.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
          Yep, I'm fine with the rest of the deal, I just need to pick the last piece. But if you guys think that none of these players is worth a 5-spot, that's good to know, too. I could probably take a $1 Nate Schierholtz instead.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Skaggs is most likely to be worth $5, Martinez next...Skaggs has better stuff and is going to get in more innings before 2014. As a throw in or last guy, he's worth getting.

Don't think there's much of any chance Wong is worth $5 and Martinez is very unlikely.

Comment

Wow...I'd drop a fiver on Skaggs for 2014 in a minute. I'd seriously consider Carlos Martinez, too, but he may be blocked. But his stuff is electric.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                Yep, I'm fine with the rest of the deal, I just need to pick the last piece. But if you guys think that none of these players is worth a 5-spot, that's good to know, too. I could probably take a $1 Nate Schierholtz instead.
                I kind of like a $1 Schierholtz in what I assume is an NL only...he's the kind of filler that can help, and probably won't hurt.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Sometimes I look at who provides me more future trade value. I bet Skaggs or Wong provide more than Nate.

Comment

Yeah, Schierholtz is the kind of guy I think it almost never makes sense to keep---yes, he'll earn a couple bucks but there is virtually no upside or trade value there, and it ties up a slot. He also is a guy that, in June of 2013, you can't possibly have any confidence in playing much next year since we don't know where he'll even be. If you're in a 20 keeper league or something, maybe just getting non-crap in the position is worth a slot; he's not close to Skaggs as a keeper and I'd keep Martinez over him as well.

Comment

1) Skaggs - good K numbers and would seem to have a really good chance to be part of D-backs 2014 rotation.

2) Carlos Martinez - also a top prospect but not guaranteed a spot in the Cardinals 2014 rotation as he'd be competing with Wacha, Gast, and possibly re-signed Westbrook.

3) Wong - not convinced that he has real fantasy impact upside as part of his value is in his SB, and the Cardinals don't run much. And there's a chance he'll be blocked at 2B by Matt Carpenter, depending on whether the Cardinals hold onto Freese (Wong 2B-Carpenter 3B and save some $ vs. Carpenter 2B-Freese 3B and Wong as depth is one of Cardinals off-season decisions)

Comment

Some clarity (I think) on the Cards pitching picture:

For sure top 3 - Wainwright, S. Miller, Lynn. Miller is pre-arbitration, and Lynn has either one year before arb or will be in his first year. So for two slots, even assuming they don't make any effort to re-sign Westbrook, leaves:

J. Garcia (coming off injury)
                        Trevor Rosenthal
                        Michael Wacha
                        John Gast
                        Carlos Martinez
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Schierholtz is on pace to hit 20 HR's and steal 10 bags...he's a .270 career average guy as well. If you can find him for a buck in an NL only, kudos to whoever can do that. Does Skaggs have more trade value? Yes. Will Schierholtz impact your team in a more positive manner next season? Most likely.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

If you think his power magically went up more than 50% (iso) while his FB rate went down, that's your prerogative.

I think in most keeper leagues most owners will value him for his historical production not 150 ABs this year. But all it takes is one who thinks it is real growth (and that he'll play regularly next year) to have to go all the way to $3 next year on him instead

Comment

I know in our 4 x 4 keeper league, Martinez would be the guy everyone would be all over. Power pitcher vs variety of Skagg's offerings. I could also see Martinez possibly being a large piece in a Cardinal trade....good in that he becomes an instant starter, bad in that you might lose him depending on your league rules.

Sheep....i'm interested in what you thought the answer was going to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X