Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like I am offering too much too early but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    actually your posts have matured

there was a memorable a few years back where you were ranting that no one plays in a big money like me and all of you can kiss my ass
    - so don't even think that I care about your opinion

would you split it up and would he take it?
    Hey swamp, I believe there is only one post ever where I mention how much my main league plays for. I guess I left a lasting negative impression with my comment. sorry.

Comment

If this offer is made in the RJEL league which originated from this site, youd be turned down flat. The going rate of a top young player (machado, kipnis, goldschmidt) is at least three cano or phillips types.

That said, i think your offer is fine and the other guy missed out.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Occam's razor -- the guy thinks he can win and not give up keepers, simple as that.

Best thing to do is make a deal with a competitor, but don't shoot all your bullets so you have something left when he comes groveling.

And, if Myers is your main target, IMnotsoHO I wouldn't lose any sleep if you don't get him.
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          If this offer is made in the RJEL league which originated from this site, youd be turned down flat. The going rate of a top young player (machado, kipnis, goldschmidt) is at least three cano or phillips types.

That said, i think your offer is fine and the other guy missed out.
          No, that's not true...that was the rate that YOU decided was fair, and several others panicked and dumped really low. Look at Paul and Keiths deal for an example of what is a NORMAL dump deal in the RJEL. I suspect that next year things will be going back to normal again, and people aren't going to get the sweetheart deals that have transpired in some cases.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            No, that's not true...that was the rate that YOU decided was fair, and several others panicked and dumped really low. Look at Paul and Keiths deal for an example of what is a NORMAL dump deal in the RJEL. I suspect that next year things will be going back to normal again, and people aren't going to get the sweetheart deals that have transpired in some cases.
            I didnt decide it was fair. It was the going rate from several owners and it was the rate that most dump deals were made at thus far. You may suspect things will go back to "normal" but it seems to be the normal rate in that league.

Apologies for hijacking WBG.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

SO -
              would you/he do Cano and Rivera for Kipnis?

Comment

I didnt decide it was fair. It was the going rate from several owners and it was the rate that most dump deals were made at thus far. You may suspect things will go back to "normal" but it seems to be the normal rate in that league.

Apologies for hijacking WBG.
                But you did decide that it was fair for YOU to accept substandard offers, after Jude did so in such an abrupt fashion. If you look at the deals that have been done in the past couple of days, they're much fairer over all, IMO.

Again, if you got what you wanted in a deal, it's your team and you can run it as you wish. I put Miggy and Felix out there and got either downright terrible offers, to something that might have been considered decent, but not good enough to accept and tank the season.

So hopefully, people will think twice about the offers that they accept before jumping at the 1st shiny piece offered to them.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

But you did decide that it was fair for YOU to accept substandard offers, after Jude did so in such an abrupt fashion. If you look at the deals that have been done in the past couple of days, they're much fairer over all, IMO.

Again, if you got what you wanted in a deal, it's your team and you can run it as you wish. I put Miggy and Felix out there and got either downright terrible offers, to something that might have been considered decent, but not good enough to accept and tank the season.

So hopefully, people will think twice about the offers that they accept before jumping at the 1st shiny piece offered to them.
                  I dont want to continue hijacking this thread so i will just say this. Either youre being intentionally obtuse or i am misunderstanding you. Anyway....

WBG i dont subscribe to overpaying unless youre given no choice. Your deal is fair and i would make it if i was the recipient. No need to offer more unless u feel your left no choice of getting noone else to make a deal.

Comment

I dont want to continue hijacking this thread so i will just say this. Either youre being intentionally obtuse or i am misunderstanding you. Anyway....

WBG i dont subscribe to overpaying unless youre given no choice. Your deal is fair and i would make it if i was the recipient. No need to offer more unless u feel your left no choice of getting noone else to make a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                      SO -
                      would you/he do Cano and Rivera for Kipnis?
                      With 4 months to go, I'd rather wait if it isn't kipnis and myers together.

Comment

Every league is different. Kipnis alone would get that kind of package in some, not so much in others.

Comment

I don't have an issue with the tone of the email, other than to internally think: "no shit, Sherlock". But it's certainly not belittling, or aggressive in tone.

My guess is that he's married to Myers and is waiting for him to make the difference with his bat...he may be waiting a lot longer that he thinks.
                          Maybe he's married to Scott Boras's cousin, and this deal isn't ever going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            Maybe he's married to Scott Boras's cousin, and this deal isn't ever going to happen.
                            You're quick this morning, Barrister...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                              I don't have much to trade in the way of protects for next year.

My pitching is pretty bad, 40 strike outs behind 11th already, 2nd last in era, 9th in whip, 10th in wins. I could make a run for 3rd or 4th but so many teams are better situated for the race than I am.

Thinking about your question, I doubt anyone else in the league is willing to dump or even truly considering the dump.
                              If you're serious about dumping, Mr. Zola's advice seems best - find another manager near this one that has one piece you want and make a smaller offer to get them. If the guy you want to deal with is desperate for saves, keep Mariano in your back pocket along with either Swisher or Seager and just go for one of Kipnis or Myers.

EDIT TO ADD - If you're less than 20 points out of first, you must have first rate hitting. I gotta admit, I'd be jettisoning sucky starters, trading whatever starters I have that might have value, and load up on low ERA/WHIP MRs, punt the two points in wins and try to get ERA and WHIP up to 5th-ish.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X