Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like I am offering too much too early but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like I am offering too much too early but...

I was still turned down.

A.L. only, 5 categories, 12 teams, the standings are tight with 19 points separating 1st and 12th.

I offered 2b.3b Kyle Seager OR 1b.of Nick Swisher, plus Robbie Cano and Mariano Rivera for a $13 in 2014 kipnis and prospect w.myers (salaries increase $5 each season).

Now, if I made this offer in July or August, with 1/3 of the season left or less, I can maybe see why it would be turned down. However, imho, with 17 weeks left in the season, the offer is more than fair.

For perspective, the other team is a few points out of first and needs saves and at bats.

Cano = top 10 pick in any format
    Seager/Swisher is miles better than an open roster spot
    Rivera = saves this team needs for any pitcher he wants to send

Was my offer weak?
    Last edited by wannabegriffey; 06-02-2013, 09:48 AM.

I don't play AL, but generally speaking I've found that a lot of owners don't differentiate between June deals and August deals, which is weird for the reasons you note. Did you stress this point in your offer?
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      I don't play AL, but generally speaking I've found that a lot of owners don't differentiate between June deals and August deals, which is weird for the reasons you note. Did you stress this point in your offer?
      Straight from the email I sent:

this is NOT an August trade with just a few weeks left in the season. It is a chance for you to acquire major production in offense and add meaningful saves, all with FOUR MONTHS to go

Comment

SO the other owner gets a
        big upgrade Cano over Kipnis
        Seager/Swisher over ?
        and a free Rivera

make sense to me

does he/you feel that Seager or Swisher improve his current OF?

whould he/you do Rivera and Cano for just Kipnis?

Comment

Your offer was very good. That being said...if there's only 19 points between 1st and 12th, and you have Rivera, Cano, Seager, and Swisher, why dump?
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Your offer was very good. That being said...if there's only 19 points between 1st and 12th, and you have Rivera, Cano, Seager, and Swisher, why dump?
            I don't have much to trade in the way of protects for next year.

My pitching is pretty bad, 40 strike outs behind 11th already, 2nd last in era, 9th in whip, 10th in wins. I could make a run for 3rd or 4th but so many teams are better situated for the race than I am.

Thinking about your question, I doubt anyone else in the league is willing to dump or even truly considering the dump.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
              Straight from the email I sent:

this is NOT an August trade with just a few weeks left in the season. It is a chance for you to acquire major production in offense and add meaningful saves, all with FOUR MONTHS to go
              Maybe he just didn't like the tone of your e-mail. It is his team to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Maybe he just didn't like the tone of your e-mail. It is his team to run.
                You are correct, everyone is allowed to treat their team the way they like.

That said, you read just a snippet of the email but maybe you are correct, he didn't like the tone.

Or maybe he just loves kipnis and myers as a package too much to trade both of them at this point in time.

But from the early response, I did offer enough, which is what I was trying to find out.

Comment

I think you offered too much.

I also think there is a huge likelihood that he doesn't like your tone, but that maybe just because I've read your posts for years.
                  Last edited by Stephen; 06-02-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

people are jumping on the tone of the email - when you post here you come across as self important sometimes

c'mon post the email and we can see if the tone is right and help you make that counter offer - or else we will assume that you are posting part of the story a la mith or pdeuce

on the surface it seems like a pretty good deal.

and would you trade cano and rivera for just kipnis? and does seager/swisher help his team?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      I think you offered too much.

I also think there is a huge likelihood that he doesn't like your tone, but that maybe just because I've read your posts for years.
                      lol, okay, I admit it. Sometimes I come across as an arrogant bastard. I've heard this before. But I've also heard from many people that they can't help but warm up to me. I am not malicious and I am an extremely friendly, happy person. I write and speak without thinking sometimes, which doesn't allow me to soften what my first thought is. (I am better than I use to be but still working on thinking before speaking)

Anyhow, I am okay with the judgment based on my previous posts, it is all you have to go on.

Signed

A nice guy

Comment

I don't have an issue with the tone of the email, other than to internally think: "no shit, Sherlock". But it's certainly not belittling, or aggressive in tone.

My guess is that he's married to Myers and is waiting for him to make the difference with his bat...he may be waiting a lot longer that he thinks.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I think if you're starting from an even playing field with this owner, then the email is a little awkwardly written but it might not raise hackles. But I suspect he already is wary - fairly or unfairly -in which case the tone will seem different.

I'd have gone more with something like a email titled: "Forget Christmas in July - here's something better!"

then a message of "What's even better than a trading-deadline blockbuster? A blockbuster like that coming with four months left in the season!"
                          yes, smiley face

It may seem subtle, but the point is that you want to remind an owner that he can benefit more by dealing now - without seeming to act as if the guy is too dumb to realize it from your communication (not that you intended that).

Maybe picture if you got that same message from another owner - would you feel a bit put off, especially if it wasn't exactly your favorite trading partner? That's probably a good test. Also, my example wouldn't be effective in all leagues, either. It's all about knowing the league dynamics and reacting accordingly....
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                            lol, okay, I admit it. Sometimes I come across as an arrogant bastard. I've heard this before. But I've also heard from many people that they can't help but warm up to me. I am not malicious and I am an extremely friendly, happy person. I write and speak without thinking sometimes, which doesn't allow me to soften what my first thought is. (I am better than I use to be but still working on thinking before speaking)

Anyhow, I am okay with the judgment based on my previous posts, it is all you have to go on.

Signed

A nice guy
                            actually your posts have matured

there was a memorable a few years back where you were ranting that no one plays in a big money like me and all of you can kiss my ass
                            - so don't even think that I care about your opinion

would you split it up and would he take it?

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              I think if you're starting from an even playing field with this owner, then the email is a little awkwardly written but it might not raise hackles. But I suspect he already is wary - fairly or unfairly -in which case the tone will seem different.

I'd have gone more with something like a email titled: "Forget Christmas in July - here's something better!"

then a message of "What's even better than a trading-deadline blockbuster? A blockbuster like that coming with four months left in the season!"
                              yes, smiley face

It may seem subtle, but the point is that you want to remind an owner that he can benefit more by dealing now - without seeming to act as if the guy is too dumb to realize it from your communication (not that you intended that).

Maybe picture if you got that same message from another owner - would you feel a bit put off, especially if it wasn't exactly your favorite trading partner? That's probably a good test. Also, my example wouldn't be effective in all leagues, either. It's all about knowing the league dynamics and reacting accordingly....
                              I like the feel of your message and shall incorporate in future trade discussions. I tend to just send 'here is who I am offering, this is where it shall help' type of messages.

Comment

Working...
                              X