Strategies for daily leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategies for daily leagues

Picking up on revo's thread on his great fortune at fanduel, I want to start a thread about strategies for these daily MLB leagues. I play over at draftstreet where you draft a full hitting lineup with a DH (utility) and three pitchers for their daily leagues. It looks like fanduel only uses one pitcher as opposed to 3, and im sure the scoring probably varies slightly, but the overall concepts should still be the same.

I just listened to an interesting podcast that looked at the daily leagues from more of the Vegas/gambling aspect. One strategy they recommended (which reportedly works well for gamblers), is looking at umpire statistics - namely how many runs on average that a home plate umpire allows. Then you look at the home plate umpires for that day and target a few that allow bigger run totals (good for hitters, bad for pitchers); and on the flip side targeting umpires with lower run totals when selecting pitchers for the day. I did this for today's games, while also factoring in righty vs. lefty and lefty vs. righty (hitter vs. pitcher) to come up with a lineup.

Does anyone have any other good strategy ideas for these daily leagues? I dont know if mine above will even work yet, but it seems sound in theory.

Edit to add: if anyone is interested I have a link to the average runs allowed by year from 1999-2012 among all home plate umpires. It's a gambling oriented site, so probably NSFW. If you guys want I will post it.

I'm interested to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
      I'm interested to check it out.
      I assume you mean the umpire stats. Here they are: http://www.ajsplays.com/p/umpires.html

Comment

Pauly, I've noticed some teams use a pure stars/scrubs approach to the extreme -- basically punting a catcher and/or 2B spot and going with an elite starter. I went with an across-the-board fill on my team, but I think I got very lucky with 6 HRs by 5 players.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          I assume you mean the umpire stats. Here they are: http://www.ajsplays.com/p/umpires.html
          Yup and thanks.

Comment

Does anyone have any other good strategy ideas for these daily leagues? I dont know if mine above will even work yet, but it seems sound in theory.
            Since the name of the game is to try to finish in the top two or three, you really want to maximize the expected variance of your team's output (you'd rather finish 2nd today and 9th tomorrow than 5th today and 6th tomorrow in a 10-team game). Do they give points for Runs? If so, I'd think loading up on pairs of hitters from the same MLB team who hit right next to each other in the batting order might be wise, since an extra base hit by the second guy would also give you another point for the guy who is on base.

Comment

Do you know of a place to see schedule umpiring crews for future series?
              Or the rotation of each crew to see who will be the home plate ump?

Comment

Originally posted by dave_dewit View Post
                Do you know of a place to see schedule umpiring crews for future series?
                Or the rotation of each crew to see who will be the home plate ump?
                I just googled "todays starting umpires" got it on the first result

Comment

I've got a deal with FanDuel for first time users. Deposit $25 and get my Mastersball Platinum for free. Yeah, drafting season is almost over but I provide in-season projections as well as access to my columns posted on ESPN insider. FanDuel will also give you an extra $7.50.

PROMO CODE masters
                  Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

It seems like common sense, but I start with the hitters who have been red-hot and work around them. I entered a 20-team, $25 entry contest today (top 10 win $45), and started my team with Chris Davis and Mike Morse. As long as those two are hot, I'm using them. I'm going to target pitchers who start against Houston & Miami for obvious reasons (Jordan Zimmermann to the red courtesy phone, please). Starting pitchers for the Dodgers/Mets/A's/Mariners/Padres at home make sense (I went with Matt Harvey yesterday with great results).

So far I'm 3-for-3, haven't put down a single penny of my own money, and I'm up $722. I'll take it!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      It seems like common sense, but I start with the hitters who have been red-hot and work around them. I entered a 20-team, $25 entry contest today (top 10 win $45), and started my team with Chris Davis and Mike Morse. As long as those two are hot, I'm using them. I'm going to target pitchers who start against Houston & Miami for obvious reasons (Jordan Zimmermann to the red courtesy phone, please). Starting pitchers for the Dodgers/Mets/A's/Mariners/Padres at home make sense (I went with Matt Harvey yesterday with great results).

So far I'm 3-for-3, haven't put down a single penny of my own money, and I'm up $722. I'll take it!
                      Davis and Morse are rocking it again today.

Comment

started my team with Chris Davis and Mike Morse
                        good choices.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I'd pull $650 of that out right now
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                            I'd pull $650 of that out right now
                            $500 was withdrawn yesterday.

Won another $45 today -- now 4-for-4.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              Davis and Morse are rocking it again today.
                              Davis and Morse have been beddy beddy good to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X