If you were the manager of the Reds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    why not use him as a 140 IP hammer, let him get some 3 inning saves if he wants to close

140 innings as a reliever would be a lot more dangerous to his arm than 180 innings starting. There is a reason that isn't done.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      140 innings as a reliever would be a lot more dangerous to his arm than 180 innings starting. There is a reason that isn't done.
      100 then...
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Aroldis as starter has more potential upside (he could lead the league in K's and win the Cy Young), and I think in the long run he'll be more valuable as a starter. But for this year, I would use him as a closer. He is still young and Leake isn't terrible. More importantly, he really wants to close this year. Why unnecessarily antagonize one of the cornerstones of the franchise? Chapman may not believe right now he'll have as much success as a starter, and with that attitude, he likely woulnd't have as much success this year as a starter.

But I'd certainly be talking with Aroldis and his agent during the 2013-2014 offseason about why he might be better off in the long run as a starter - chance to make a bigger impact on the team, chance to win Cy Young award, starters generally earn more $, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X