No announcement yet.

If you were the manager of the Reds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were the manager of the Reds...

In 2013, as the Reds are currently constituted, would you use Aroldis Chapman as a starting pitcher or as your closer?
    Starting Pitcher
    0%
    Closer
    0%

Chapman at #3 starter should be better than anything elses they have. They signed Broxton so they should make use of him as closer. It is a stupid signing if they intend him to be a middle reliever.

There is a real disconnect between Dusty and upper managment in how to build this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Chapman at #3 starter should be better than anything elses they have. They signed Broxton so they should make use of him as closer. It is a stupid signing if they intend him to be a middle reliever.

There is a real disconnect between Dusty and upper managment in how to build this team.
      Word.

Comment

There is a real disconnect between Dusty and planet Earth, but let's focus on smaller issues.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

By Sunday afternoon, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty had heard all about pitcher Aroldis Chapman's public wishes to remain as the team's closer. Jocketty did not want to discuss the issue in depth. It's not a lock that Chapman will get what he wants, however.

"It would certainly be considered, but we don't let every player tell us how they want to be used," Jocketty told MLB.com.

Chapman and manager Dusty Baker have both voiced a desire for a quick resolution to the situation -- one way or the other. Jocketty was also in that camp.

"We'll get it done this week, the next few days probably," Jocketty said.

The official website of the Cincinnati Reds with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets and team news.

Comment

Double Word. I don't see them caving to Baker and Chapman on this. It makes Jockety look like an idiot for spending the money on Broxton instead of elsewhere. If they hadn't signed Broxton, my response would be to leave Chapman at closer. He was a top 2 closer and could be that for years to come, with he and Kimbral in a tier by themselves. I worry about his health and his effectiveness as a starter, but they felt it was worth the risk to try it out, and they shouldn't abandon that experiment before it even begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Double Word. I don't see them caving to Baker and Chapman on this. It makes Jockety look like an idiot for spending the money on Broxton instead of elsewhere. If they hadn't signed Broxton, my response would be to leave Chapman at closer. He was a top 2 closer and could be that for years to come, with he and Kimbral in a tier by themselves. I worry about his health and his effectiveness as a starter, but they felt it was worth the risk to try it out, and they shouldn't abandon that experiment before it even begins.
              Let's be honest, Jocketty already looks like an idiot for signing Broxton to that deal, no matter what happens. It was a bad signing, and a worse contract...they had other options in house, and cheaper ones outside the organization if they chose to go that way.

And they've already abandoned the experiment once, that's how Chapman became a closer in the first place. The bottom line is that they need to decide and decide quickly, and then stick to it no matter what.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

How can everyone here vote for him as a Starting pitcher? He's been nothing short of awful in the role in the past, and hasn't shown anything in the spring that screams breakout starter.

He wants to close, it's where he will be happy. Chapman could be the most dominate closer the league has ever seen if he can duplicate last year. Why would you want to get rid of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                  How can everyone here vote for him as a Starting pitcher? He's been nothing short of awful in the role in the past, and hasn't shown anything in the spring that screams breakout starter.

He wants to close, it's where he will be happy. Chapman could be the most dominate closer the league has ever seen if he can duplicate last year. Why would you want to get rid of that?

Chapman has no major league starts, so how was he awful as a starter?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Chapman has no major league starts, so how was he awful as a starter?
                    I was referring to his work in the minors. Higher walk rates, lower strike out rates, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                      I was referring to his work in the minors. Higher walk rates, lower strike out rates, etc.

I saw him a few times when I lived in Louisville, and I frequently said I wasn't impressed. He threw harder than anyone I'd ever seen or heard about, but he was a thrower, not a pitcher. That was then, though, and since then he has grown considerably as a pitcher. I still worry about his health and effectiveness, relative to his proven ability as a closer, but he is clearly a much better pitcher today than when he was tried as a starter in the minors. This move is clearly a risk, but as we all know, a good starter is worth more than a great reliever, and they think it is worth the risk to see if he'll be a good starter, and maybe even a great one.

I'm a bird in the hand sort of fellow, and they had in hand possibly an all-time great closer, but while there is risk involved in this move, it's not like there isn't huge upside too. Comparing Chapman now to Chapman 2 years ago is night and day. They committed to taking this risk, and I think they've gone this far, they might as well see what they have. If this move fails and he sucks or gets hurt or both, he can rehab, he come back to a long career as a dominate closer. If this move isn't made now, it may never be made, and then they will always be left wondering what might have been.

Oh, and Chapman says he wants to close now, but if this works out and he starts getting those big fat #1 or #2 paychecks, he'll be happy to be starting. As bad as closer deals often are, and Broxton's is right up there with the worst, I don't see #1 closers getting 100mil+
                      Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

This guy came from Cuba, I'm pretty sure he's happy with any MLB paycheck. Not only that, he WANTS to close. We often see what happens with unhappy players. He even got in trouble from excessive celebration a few times last year after closing out a game. I'd rather sign an innings eater like Loshe and have Chapman close then Chapman starting and Broxton in relief.

Comment

I have seen so many Joe Scrubs put together seasons as a closer but good starters are a lot more rare. If Chapman can turn into a good starter he is much more valuable in that role. My hope is that Broxton turns into a guy with a 4.00 ERA but 35 saves as every save is an adventure but it mostly works. Combine that with Chapman as a starter and the Reds are in a better position.

Comment

why not use him as a 140 IP hammer, let him get some 3 inning saves if he wants to close
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              why not use him as a 140 IP hammer, let him get some 3 inning saves if he wants to close
                              That's an interesting idea. It's no wonder Uncle Larry loves you.

Comment

Working...
                              X