No announcement yet.

I did something I never thought I'd do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did something I never thought I'd do.

I took a pitcher in the first round. In my NL Only Scoresheet - Number 5 overall. A pitcher.

Sigh.

I think the earliest I've drafted a pitcher in the last 10 years has been 7th round so this was hard to swallow.

Scoresheet is a different beast and it'll be fun to see how it pans out.

I hope it was Kershaw!
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      I took a pitcher in the first round. In my NL Only Scoresheet - Number 5 overall. A pitcher.

Sigh.

I think the earliest I've drafted a pitcher in the last 10 years has been 7th round so this was hard to swallow.

I guess that it depends on how many teams, but starting pitching is so deep that you can get a quality starter rounds later, IMO. I just don't see how taking a Verlander or Strasburg is going to put you well ahead when you can get a Sabathia, Darvish, or Greinke much later. Taking a Cano or McCutcheon at that point would have been my choice...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        I guess that it depends on how many teams, but starting pitching is so deep that you can get a quality starter rounds later, IMO. I just don't see how taking a Verlander or Strasburg is going to put you well ahead when you can get a Sabathia, Darvish, or Greinke much later. Taking a Cano or McCutcheon at that point would have been my choice...
        It's NL Only but the point remains.

Comment

Sigh.

Well it is done. Not the way I would have done it, but never played Scoresheet. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

Scoresheet is a completely different monster guys. You need strong starting pitching in order to have any chance as it simulates your weekly stats into actual game scenarios. Defense is also factored in.

I actually took Strasburg #5. Kershaw was taken #1.

It's also a full keeper.

8 picks in:
            Kershaw, Posey, Braun, Stanton, Strasburg, Votto, Gonzalez, Harper

Comment

I have never played Scoresheet so I'll have to learn more and try it out next year! Good luck, Stephen.

Comment

Scoresheet is a completely different monster guys. You need strong starting pitching in order to have any chance as it simulates your weekly stats into actual game scenarios. Defense is also factored in.

It's also a full keeper.

8 picks in:
                Ah, I see you went to Mith's School Withholding Information.

All kidding aside good luck.

So I just have to ask. If Stanton was available would you have taken him instead?

Comment

My sim draft (non keeper, also very pitching heavy) went: Miggy, Trout, Kemp, Kershaw, Verlander. It's a different game than roto. Frankly I enjoy leagues where pitching isn't totally de-emphasized

Comment

It's also a full keeper.

8 picks in:
                    Amazing to me that Harper lasted until #7. I would have put him #4 or 5 at worst. (Kershaw, Stanton, Harper, Strasburg, Posey)

Comment

Agree Scoresheet is a different beast. Stacking multiple aces isn't a waste, and stud starters see a bump in value relative to real baseball.

Who was it? Is this a keeper league or redraft? Only done Scoresheet keeper, but redraft sounds really fun, actually. What was the whole first/second round?

Comment

it's my 2nd year in Scoresheet and I'm still trying to figure out how to properly value players. The PFM at BP helps, but I feel like a noob.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          So I just have to ask. If Stanton was available would you have taken him instead?
                          I would not have. I had him slotted early 2nd round.

Originally posted by Skyking162
                          Who was it? Is this a keeper league or redraft? Only done Scoresheet keeper, but redraft sounds really fun, actually. What was the whole first/second round?
                          This is an NL Only Keeper League. 9 picks in and it looks like this so far:
                          1. Kershaw
                          2. Posey
                          3. Braun
                          4. Stanton
                          5. Strasburg
                          6. Votto
                          7. Gonzalez
                          8. Harper
                          9. Hamels

Originally posted by MoonlightJ
                          it's my 2nd year in Scoresheet and I'm still trying to figure out how to properly value players. The PFM at BP helps, but I feel like a noob.
                          I'm right there with you Jason. It's been interesting doing some research on these guys. I like the one pick per hour format of it a lot though. Allows me to really put thought into it.

The BP Helper is incredible! I hope they are relatively accurate because I'm putting a lot of stock in it. I'm not always picking best available because of age/preference etc, but it's nice.

I'm hoping to build a team that can win while also picking up players that I enjoy following a lot.

It's 7 more picks until my turn again so I figure I'll end up with one of the following: Tulowitzki, Kemp, Cain, Greinke, McCutchen, Heyward, AGonzalez

The homer in me is quietly hoping that Heyward is still on the board so I can start my Full Keeper with a 24 year old pitcher and a 23 year old gold glove defender with 30/30 potential.

Comment

I was actually following another NL only 10 team this week and 1 guy made the following picks over the first 5 rounds:

Strasburg
                            Lee
                            Halladay
                            Medlen
                            Hudson

Comment

I like pitchers less in keeper leagues, but Strasburg's could be HUGE and should be fun to own. I think Votto got overlooked, even with 1B usually being an unexciting position to take early. And wait, Tulo isn't gone yet? That park with that D rating is sick. Any of those seven is an excellent second pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X