Votto for Kennedy and Arenado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Votto for Kennedy and Arenado?

I've been offerred a $25 Votto on an expring contract for a $11 Kennedy with one year remaining after this one, and Nolan Arenado. No brainer, or am I giving up too much long term value in Kennedy and Arenado? For those not paying attention, Arenado is destroying the baseball so far this spring. I'm thinking that is why the Votto owner wants him. Is he actually blossoming, or is this just small sample size noise?

14 team mixed league, with 30 man rosters, 15 keepers, and a $400 cap.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-06-2013, 02:28 PM.

I can also get Votto and Carlos Martinez for Brett Lawrie $5 and Kennedy, but I like the above offer better. But maybe I like Lawrie too much, so I'm putting this out there too. Is getting both Votto and minor leaguer Carlos Martinez worth giving Kennedy and Lawrie? The difference in the deals comes down to Lawrie for Arenado and Martinez. Would anyone do that?

Comment

I'd say yes to the Kennedy/Arenado deal.

Though I do think Arenado is a good player who could rake in Coors, Votto is Votto.

Comment

I'd take the Kennedy/Arenado deal too. I don't love Lawrie but at $5 it's hard not to like him.

Comment

If my team was in contention for winning this year then I'd prefer Votto.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            I'd take the Kennedy/Arenado deal too. I don't love Lawrie but at $5 it's hard not to like him.
            Lawrie will have to be extended next year, while Arenado can be called up at $5 and kept another year at $5, so he'll be cheaper longer. Is that enough to tilt things in his favor? If Lawrie isn't elite, then is he worth giving up to keep Arenado and also get Carlos Martinez?
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Take Votto.

In any league Votto is worth $25. If you find that you are out of contention he is really good trade chip for someone who is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Lawrie will have to be extended next year, while Arenado can be called up at $5 and kept another year at $5, so he'll be cheaper longer. Is that enough to tilt things in his favor? If Lawrie isn't elite, then is he worth giving up to keep Arenado and also get Carlos Martinez?
                Depends how much you like Martinez, I guess. He's not knocking down the door, and I still worry that Arenado could start the year at AAA. I'd rather have the non-elite Lawrie giving me $15 worth of stats than a couple of lottery tickets. If you really want to move Lawrie I'd think you could get more for him as a $5 once-elite prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  I still worry that Arenado could start the year at AAA.
                  I'll wager that Arenado does start the season in AAA. He'll end it as the Rockies starting 3B, but CBA management has to be the primary consideration for a team going nowhere this year. No matter how many bombs he hits off minor league pitching in Spring Training, there's really no good argument to be made for The Rockies opening the season with Arenado at third.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I definitely take the first deal (that's Ian Kennedy, right?)...

Comment

Originally posted by NL Only View Post
                      I definitely take the first deal (that's Ian Kennedy, right?)...
                      Yes, that is Ian Kennedy.

Comment

I've countered with Lawrie and Kennedy for Votto, Cliff Lee, who is at about value in my league at $53, and Carlos Martinez. If I'm going all in this year, I might as well get price certainty on an ace right? This deal would mean that 10 of my 15 keepers expire after this year, but oh well, flags fly forever and all.

Is that the right move, or should I just take the Votto for Kennedy and Arrenado deal like everyone says?

Comment

I'd rather have more $ in the auction, depending on who will be available, especially if there are active traders in your league so that you could later acquire an ace if needed.
                          I like trying to, at least to start year, build a great pitching staff without paying full price for a single #1 SP...if you have prospects or cheaper younger players (like Lawrie), you can trade for needs later. Will you still have some trading chips left? Or you could get one or more at auction...

Comment

Oh, my minors are still stacked, so I'll have trade chips left, but you are probably right about the auction flexibility. There is a ton of elite SPs out there this year. Verlander and King Felix hit the open market for the first time in years, for instance.

Comment

I'd stick with Lawrie and just do the original deal you asked about.

Comment

Working...
                              X