No announcement yet.

2K13 Free Agent League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thoughts on Nunez as a SS - over Yunel Escobar?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
      I think I'm much more impressed with 2010 than 2012. Being able to pick up an MVP and a Cy Young tend to increase the odds of success.

How did you manage it in 2010?
      Here is my final roster:

Pedro Alvarez
      Mike Aviles
      Ike Davis
      Dexter Fowler
      Rafael Furcal
      Carlos Gonzalez
      Omar Infante
      Kila Ka'aihue
      Paul Konerko
      Buster Posey
      Travis Snider
      Jose Tabata
      Jim Thome

John Axford
      Daniel Hudson
      Ian Kennedy
      Hiroki Kuroda
      Shaun Marcum
      Brett Myers
      Joe Saunders
      Max Scherzer
      Billy Wagner
      Carlos Zambrano

I snagged Konerko early, either he wasn't drafted or someone dropped him. I think Wagner started the year hurt and Axford emerged. Grabbing Posey in time for his call-up helped. Kuroda was my ace that year and CarGo was my 2010 version of Mike Trout. So apparently, if you can pick up the best fantasy OF in the game off waivers, you will win an AFA title.
      Last edited by virgonomic; 02-27-2013, 10:23 PM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        thoughts on Nunez as a SS - over Yunel Escobar?
        Is Segura available? If not, I like Escobar over Nunez - he is on a good TB team and should have a better year with a change of scenery. If Nunez is finding ABs in the first week or two you can grab him...or wait until Youk gets hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          AFA? I'm guessing that doesn't stand for Air Force Academy...
          All Free Agents
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            Here is my final roster:

Pedro Alvarez
            Mike Aviles
            Ike Davis
            Dexter Fowler
            Rafael Furcal
            Carlos Gonzalez
            Omar Infante
            Kila Ka'aihue
            Paul Konerko
            Buster Posey
            Travis Snider
            Jose Tabata
            Jim Thome

John Axford
            Daniel Hudson
            Ian Kennedy
            Hiroki Kuroda
            Shaun Marcum
            Brett Myers
            Joe Saunders
            Max Scherzer
            Billy Wagner
            Carlos Zambrano

I snagged Konerko early, either he wasn't drafted or someone dropped him. I think Wagner started the year hurt and Axford emerged. Grabbing Posey in time for his call-up helped. Kuroda was my ace that year and CarGo was my 2010 version of Mike Trout. So apparently, if you can pick up the best fantasy OF in the game off waivers, you will win an AFA title.
            I got Jon Jay. Think that will do it?

Comment

OK, so my waiver claims all finally came through (well, all but one). here's where i'm at:

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
              1B Brandon Moss
              2B Kelly Johnson
              3B Manny Machado
              SS Josh Rutledge
              OF Ryan Ludwick
              OF Justin Ruggiano
              OF Andy Dirks
              UT Norichika Aoki
              UT Lorenzo Cain
              BN Alex Avila
              BN Alex Rodriguez
              BN Corey Hart

SP Hisashi Iwakuma
              SP Josh Beckett
              RP Tyler Clippard
              RP Luke Gregerson
              P Clayton Richard
              P Drew Storen
              P Tommy Milone
              P Ervin Santana
              BN James McDonald

and i still have Roy Oswalt from my original team, that i'll put in a claim for a replacement for in a bit...

ETA: somebody dropped Lester today, so i put in a claim for him to replace Oswalt. keeping my fingers crossed...
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Picked up Lance Berkman last night. Had to get up at 2:45 a.m. to make sure I could FA him once waivers ran.

I'm going to burn a waiver pick tonight on Ben Revere.

It seems like the consensus is that we should concentrate heavily at this point on acquiring home run hitters whenever possible. Is that a fair assessment?

I'm still stockpiling closers and almost-closers. Frieri/Madson...Marmol/Fujikawa...Parnell...Ryan Cook...David Robertson. I still think my infield sucks, with Gyorko and Segura and Infante. I like Alonso better than most, I guess.

Any tips on how to get the other owners active, so they'll pick up some free agents and waive some people worth grabbing? I've sent a couple of league-wide emails hoping to stir them up. Only one guy made a waiver claim last night.

BTW, would anybody toss one of the above relief pitchers in return for Oscar Taveras? He may start the year in the minors, but he can certainly hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  BTW, would anybody toss one of the above relief pitchers in return for Oscar Taveras? He may start the year in the minors, but he can certainly hit.
                  I would toss one or two closers for anything useful. Last year I had 5 closers going at one point. I was cycling in starters and filling the other spots with closers. I was up by 30 saves when I traded 2 closers for a bat. I ended up dropping a closer with 2 or 3 weeks to go (noone could catch me and the team chasing me couldn't get more points) and Soriano in the final week. I needed Ks and wins.

Comment

There have been 11 players dropped in my league, not counting players dropped by me. I have 37 moves so far.

There is a place for a team name and a team motto. My motto is "One Move at a Time".

Comment

• Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                      I would toss one or two closers for anything useful. Last year I had 5 closers going at one point. I was cycling in starters and filling the other spots with closers. I was up by 30 saves when I traded 2 closers for a bat. I ended up dropping a closer with 2 or 3 weeks to go (noone could catch me and the team chasing me couldn't get more points) and Soriano in the final week. I needed Ks and wins.
                      Would you chunk one of these guys for Adam Eaton? He was recently waived and just hit FA status.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                        I wouldn't carry anyone not in the majors unless there is a specific call up date and it's less than a week away.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          I wouldn't carry anyone not in the majors unless there is a specific call up date and it's less than a week away.
                          hmm - I have Billy Hamilton and Will Myers on my roster

Also Uggla is now waived - did anything happen to him that I need to know?

Coco Crisp too?

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            hmm - I have Billy Hamilton and Will Myers on my roster

Also Uggla is now waived - did anything happen to him that I need to know?

Coco Crisp too?
                            I wouldn't bother with those guys right now. Especially Hamilton, he's a cup of coffee guy. Tampa is not going to start the clock on Myers just yet. They'll wait till May or June. I'd pick up Uggla and Crisp. They are streaky guys and if they get off to a hot start look to flip them for someone better that is struggling.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Revere cleared waivers in my league. Rutledge too. Already having tough choices about who to cut.

Comment

• My team now:

IF: Ruiz Hosmer Rutledge Reynolds Segura
                                OF: Pierre Crisp Moss Bonifacio GJones
                                B: Ruggiano, Hart
                                P: Griffin Buehrle Frieri Rondon Parnell Romero Ogando Marmol
                                B: Santos Hanson, Milone

Comment

Working...
                                X