2013 San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
    Yeah, looking like a stinker of a trade, although Alonso's injury robbed him of what might have been a decent year.
    It looked like an OK deal at the time from a prospects point of view. The only part that looked bad to me was the Padres taking Volquez. I wasn't that sold on Boxberger, but that's me, as I distrust most minor league pitchers. Grandal and Alonso? It's still too early to tell. The former has to keep himself clean and rehab the knee, the latter has to stay healthy.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Yeah, throw in the contracts they've given to Quentin: 2014 $9.5 mil, 2015 $8 mil and 2016 option for $10 mil and Street: $7 mil next year and an option for $7 in 2015 and they've really hamstrung themselves trying to make any moves this offseason. I think you can kiss Headley goodbye this offseason. Which is unfortunate since they'll get pennies on the dollar for what they could've gotten this past offseason after the very, very subpar year he's had.
      Regarding the Street deal, they're only hamstrung by if they choose to be - he would be very easy to move with his contract, age & performance. Compare to Arizona, with $7M on Putz and $6M on Bell next year.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Edinson Volquez mercifully DFA'd by the Pads. Too bad, he has tantalizing stuff but can't find the strike zone on a consistent basis. Brad Brach called up to take his place on the roster. Tim Stauffer to take his place in the rotation
        Volquez signed by the Dodgers.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Volquez signed by the Dodgers.
          I was trying to come up with a reason for that, and all I got was "to eat innings when there's a blowout." I hope they're not seriously thinking of starting him until/if/when they clinch the division and their seeding is set.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

My best guess is that if they want to help some team like the Dbacks get into the playoffs, they'll run Volquez/Marmol out against them a couple times.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

how much PT can we expect Fuentes to get over the next month?
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

how big a disaster has Chase Headley been this season? Cripes. From NL RBI king to putting up backup catcher-esque stats....

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  how much PT can we expect Fuentes to get over the next month?
                  One start and four pinch-hitting appearances so far. Doesn't look like much more than the proverbial cup of coffee, and Black seems to prefer the legendary Mark Kotsay for the "tougher" pinch-hitting.

-- William James

Comment

how big a disaster has Chase Headley been this season? Cripes. From NL RBI king to putting up backup catcher-esque stats....
                    This has been a disaster all over - For Headley not cashing in on his career (so far) year and for the Pads not moving him when they could've gotten max value for him. It'll be interesting to see what happens this offseason. Do they chalk it up to a lost year due to the broken hand in the early part and the bad back during the last part? I never thought he was the kind of player that he was last year but never thought he'd be this awful.

In other news, one of the sole offensive highlights - Will Venable - signed a two-year extension, which takes him through the end of his arbitration years. He really seems to have put it together, although he is still exposed to lefties.

With Maybin coming back next year and Senor DL (Quentin) signed for another year, do they go after a free agent (as promised)?

Starting staff has the makings of being pretty solid with Cashner, Kennedy and Ross locked in to the top 3. Luebke should be good to go form day 1.

This has the makings of a team that could compete for 3rd place next year. sigh

Comment

This has been a disaster all over - For Headley not cashing in on his career (so far) year and for the Pads not moving him when they could've gotten max value for him. It'll be interesting to see what happens this offseason. Do they chalk it up to a lost year due to the broken hand in the early part and the bad back during the last part? I never thought he was the kind of player that he was last year but never thought he'd be this awful.

In other news, one of the sole offensive highlights - Will Venable - signed a two-year extension, which takes him through the end of his arbitration years. He really seems to have put it together, although he is still exposed to lefties.

With Maybin coming back next year and Senor DL (Quentin) signed for another year, do they go after a free agent (as promised)?

Starting staff has the makings of being pretty solid with Cashner, Kennedy and Ross locked in to the top 3. Luebke should be good to go form day 1.

This has the makings of a team that could compete for 3rd place next year. sigh
                      In your division, things can change in a hurry. No one is dominant, and every time one team gets a little in front, they come back to the pack.

As for the rotation, well, I see a lot of moderately talented guys and no one taking charge.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                        In your division, things can change in a hurry. No one is dominant, and every time one team gets a little in front, they come back to the pack.

As for the rotation, well, I see a lot of moderately talented guys and no one taking charge.
                        Ummmm, have you seen the Dodgers????

Comment

Ummmm, have you seen the Dodgers????
                          I meant in terms of being at the top for several years running, like the Yankees, Cardinals, Tigers. There seems to be a lot more turnover in the NL West.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                            I meant in terms of being at the top for several years running, like the Yankees, Cardinals, Tigers. There seems to be a lot more turnover in the NL West.
                            Sure, but that was a prior Dodger regime. This one believes money is no object and has potential MVP candidates and a Cy candidate for years to come.

Comment

Sure, but that was a prior Dodger regime. This one believes money is no object and has potential MVP candidates and a Cy candidate for years to come.
                              Granted. The one gap in their armor is that the minor league system is not that deep right now, with Seager and Pederson the only names that really stand out. That's the one area in which money can't buy happiness.

-- William James

Comment

Uh-oh, Cory Luebke has some stiffness in his elbow and is being shut down.

Comment

Working...
                                X