No announcement yet.

2K21 - Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timely story on Ankiel - http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_hou&c_id=hou

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      He has 31 PA in 13 games. Were you expecting more?

If I can get 15-20 PA per week, that's better than what's available.
      Is that what we can expect going forward?

Jeff Baker is also available but I can't believe he'll continue to get PT.

Comment

I don't think Pena is any type of success story---he's a replacement-level 1B who has a BABIP well above his career number right now---so he's essentially the same guy as last year with no upside. If the concept is to bring in a vet leader, that's fine...but let's not kid ourselves about his performance.

I do think the Carter pickup was a wise one and imagine he'll end up with sneaky-good OBP and SLG numbers.

Comment

He has 31 PA in 13 games. Were you expecting more?
          Some of us activated him in AL-only leagues this week because he had been playing. He then hasn't had a start since.

Comment

Originally posted by RSF View Post
            I don't think Pena is any type of success story---he's a replacement-level 1B who has a BABIP well above his career number right now---so he's essentially the same guy as last year with no upside. If the concept is to bring in a vet leader, that's fine...but let's not kid ourselves about his performance.

I do think the Carter pickup was a wise one and imagine he'll end up with sneaky-good OBP and SLG numbers.
            Carter's K-rate is a little excessive now, but I could easily see him as a right-handed Adam Dunn in his prime. Complete with the bad defense at both OF and 1B. That being said, that's a really valuable hitter. I could see him hitting 40 HR in a season sooner rather than later. It will come with a .200-.240 batting average, but good walks as well. He'll probably set the K record this year, but that's what he does.

Comment

There are a lot more glimmers of hope at the big-league level than just Altuve and Castro. Granted, it's only a month into the season, so both the glimmers and the disappointments could be mirages at this point. But Marwin Gonzalez is playing like a capable starting shortstop, and he's only 24. Matt Dominguez has been one of the best defenders in the league at third base. Brandon Barnes and Carlos Corporan continue their success from last year in part-time roles. Carlos Pena, whom people said we were insane to pick up because he was done as a major-league hitter, has rebounded some from last year. Carter, despite the strikeouts, does have 6 home runs. On the pitching side, Lucas Harrell continues to pitch well. Paul Clemens has been a nice surprise, both in spring training and in the regular season. He always had the stuff, but seems to have found the consistency this year that eluded him in previous seasons. Bud Norris has been solid, and Jose Veras has outperformed expectations.

Has it all come together? Obviously not, or our record wouldn't be 8-21. But there have certainly been more than a couple bright spots. We've also been very close, like we were last night against Detroit and on Wednesday night against Mo Rivera when he caught a lucky break to escape with the save. Is it frustrating in the moment to lose games like that? Absolutely. But I don't consider that a particularly ill portent for the future.

I imagine in a few months, some of the current bright spots won't look so bright any more, but I also expect some of the current frustrating performers to have improved a lot by then.
              Harrell has been my #2 Pitcher in the Total Bases league, behind only Jason Vargas. He's probably going to slide to #3 now that I've picked up Wade LeBlanc
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                Veteran leadership
                Defense
                Saves service time for future prospects[/IMG]
                Well, so much for that. Ankiel DFA'd.

Comment

Who is going to play in the OF now? I heard Carter is moving to 1B/DH and two are gone. Crowe and Paredes recalled. Barnes/Maxwell/Paredes perhaps?

Comment

Between Astros pitching and the Rays pitching, I'm having one @#$@$@ baseball seaosn

Comment

Or maybe JD Martinez? Or who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        Who is going to play in the OF now? I heard Carter is moving to 1B/DH and two are gone. Crowe and Paredes recalled. Barnes/Maxwell/Paredes perhaps?
                        Maxwell is still out with the broken hand, another 2-4 weeks or so.
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Or maybe JD Martinez? Or who knows?
                          Bo knows.

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

George Springer? 288 batting average, 11 home runs, 7 stolen bases at AA Corpus Christi

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                              George Springer? 288 batting average, 11 home runs, 7 stolen bases at AA Corpus Christi
                              I would like to see this. In our NL league we got to keep Houston rookies for this year and next.

Comment

Maxwell is still out with the broken hand, another 2-4 weeks or so.
                                Sorry, replace Maxwell with Grossman. And if Bo knows, what did he tell you?

Comment

Working...
                                X