2023-24 Free Agent Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Giants sign RHP Jordan Hicks for 4 years/ $44 million.

And they plan on using him as a starter.
    Wow, didn't see this one coming. Not unprecedented, but giving his injury history, surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Wow, didn't see this one coming. Not unprecedented, but giving his injury history, surprising.
      I think we are going to see this more and more often as more teams start using the six-man rotation to keep their rotation healthy. And even though the number of starts per pitcher goes down in the six-man rotation, the number of quality starts (and wins) could go up without having much effect on yearly innings pitched totals if guys can consistently go that one extra inning with an extra day of rest between starts. And teams would be able to roster one less middle reliever. Signing a solid free agent middle reliever and converting him to a starter could become a popular option to teams who miss out on signing the big name starting pitchers.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

I think we are going to see this more and more often as more teams start using the six-man rotation to keep their rotation healthy. And even though the number of starts per pitcher goes down in the six-man rotation, the number of quality starts (and wins) could go up without having much effect on yearly innings pitched totals if guys can consistently go that one extra inning with an extra day of rest between starts. And teams would be able to roster one less middle reliever. Signing a solid free agent middle reliever and converting him to a starter could become a popular option to teams who miss out on signing the big name starting pitchers.
        Interesting theory and makes sense.

This would also assist Asian pitchers coming over that have been in 6 man rotations.

Comment

Blue Jays sign RHP Yariel Rodriguez for four-years/ $32 million.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Astros sign LHP Josh Hader for 5 years/ $95 million. That's the biggest contract ever for a reliever.

Ryan Pressly just became a setup guy in the final year of his contract.
            Last edited by madducks; 01-19-2024, 06:57 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Angels sign RHP Robert Stephenson for 3 years/ $33 million..
              Last edited by madducks; 01-20-2024, 03:52 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Dodgers sign LHP James Paxton for 1 year/ $7 million.

Last edited by madducks; 01-31-2024, 12:24 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Pirates sign LHP Aroldis Chapman for 1 year/ $10.5 million.

This is a shocker. Not sure what the Pirates angle is here. Maybe Bednar is on the trading block now. It is most likely that Chapman ends up on the trading block by mid-season.
                  ​​

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Nationals sign OF Joey Gallo for 1 year/ $5 million.

Gallo hit just .177 last year, which was an improvement on the .160 that he hit the previous season. He now has a .197 lifetime BA in nine seasons.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Angels sign 1B Miguel Sano to a minor league contract. He's still only 30 years old . He sat out the entire 2023 season.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Angels sign LHP Matt Moore for 1 year/ $9 million.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Brewers sign 1B Rhys Hoskins for 2 years/ $34 million.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Marlins sign 1B Trey Mancini to a minor league deal.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Rangers sign 1B Jared Walsh to a minor league contract.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Diamondbacks sign OF Joc Pederson for 1 year/ $9.5 million.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X