Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("Opening Day" Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College post-season is underway and I'm paying a lot of attention. A couple notes. Paul Skenes (currently no. 14 on my list) has a chance to set the NCAA record for K/9. He had an off game yesterday (ERA ballooned to 1.89) but reportedly threw the fastest pitch ever for a college pitcher (103 mph). Currently his K/9 is 16.6 and I think the record is 16.8.

Also, not on the list yet but Nolan Schanuel of Florida Atlantic has a BB/K ratio of 70/14 (!!), which is insane. He leads Div. 1 in walks, BA (.454), OBP (.620) and OPS (1.501). He might go in the 1st round and might get on my list soon.
    Last edited by rhd; 05-30-2023, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Where is Emmet Sheehan on your list? Between him, Andrew Abbott, and Ben Brown, who is the better pickup long-term?

Comment

Originally posted by DJRadar View Post
        Where is Emmet Sheehan on your list? Between him, Andrew Abbott, and Ben Brown, who is the better pickup long-term?
        Thanx for the response, DJRadar.

These 3 are all recent additions to my list and all grouped together in a group that also includes AJ Smith-Shawver, Bryan Woo and Connor Phillips. I dont know which one I'd rather have. I would expect to see Abbott and maybe Brown and Smith-Shawver in the bigs first, since they're all currently already at AAA and their big league clubs would seem to have a need for a starter in the near future. And all 3 of these are already on the top 100 for either BA, or FG or MLB.com or all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post

Thanx for the response, DJRadar.

These 3 are all recent additions to my list and all grouped together in a group that also includes AJ Smith-Shawver, Bryan Woo and Connor Phillips. I dont know which one I'd rather have. I would expect to see Abbott and maybe Brown and Smith-Shawver in the bigs first, since they're all currently already at AAA and their big league clubs would seem to have a need for a starter in the near future. And all 3 of these are already on the top 100 for either BA, or FG or MLB.com or all 3.
          Smith-Shawver is already up. Crazy fast rise to the bigs, although he seems to be a bullpen arm for the Braves this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Smith-Shawver is already up. Crazy fast rise to the bigs, although he seems to be a bullpen arm for the Braves this year.
            Will start on Saturday. Also, Abbott will make his 2nd start on Saturday.

Comment

rhd, I haven’t seen Adael Amador featured in articles by prospect writers this year, but he seems to be killing it at high-A Spokane and was ranked 51 on your opening day list. What’s your read on his development so far and his trajectory? I’m excited about him but have been burned by Rockies prospects so many times in past.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                rhd, I haven’t seen Adael Amador featured in articles by prospect writers this year, but he seems to be killing it at high-A Spokane and was ranked 51 on your opening day list. What’s your read on his development so far and his trajectory? I’m excited about him but have been burned by Rockies prospects so many times in past.
                Sharky, BA's report on Amador says he's an elite hitter w below-avg power and, despite good SB totals in the minors, has only fringe-average speed. It looks like he profiles similarly to Brooks Lee, so I'm putting him next to him on my list for now (currently #40). He's hit well so far this year and shows very good plate discipline. BA and MLB.com have ranked him no. 50 and no. 51 respectively on their early season updates to their lists.
                Last edited by rhd; 06-11-2023, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Rhd, thank you. When you say ranked number __, it changes the format. So no idea what that message meant! Sorry and thanks at the same time.

Comment

Rhd, thank you. When you say ranked number __, it changes the format. So no idea what that message meant! Sorry and thanks at the same time.
                    Sorry, fixed now. Interestingly, if you put a paren after it, it doesnt get changed.

Comment

Any thoughts on Evan Carter? Supposed to be a very high floor guy. Started off this season on fire; has been pretty terrible for the past month or so (hasn’t hit a HR since April and dropped 100 points in BA - granted from 380 to 280). Does this change his trajectory or is it simply normal development / growing pains?
                      Last edited by Sharky; 06-15-2023, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Any thoughts on Evan Carter? Supposed to be a very high floor guy. Started off this season on fire; has been pretty terrible for the past month or so (hasn’t hit a HR since April and dropped 100 points in BA - granted from 380 to 280). Does this change his trajectory or is it simply normal development / growing pains?
                        Until I hear otherwise, I would chalk it up to just a normal slump. He's currently out w an injury so maybe he was already banged up before he went on the IL and it was affecting his play. BA's report indicates he has plus speed, has a plus hit tool, has great plate discipline and may develop average power. They say he has the ingredients to be an impact player and has the ceiling of an all-star. Currently #23) on my list.

Comment

Until I hear otherwise, I would chalk it up to just a normal slump. He's currently out w an injury so maybe he was already banged up before he went on the IL and it was affecting his play. BA's report indicates he has plus speed, has a plus hit tool, has great plate discipline and may develop average power. They say he has the ingredients to be an impact player and has the ceiling of an all-star. Currently #23) on my list.
                          Your guess was correct - Carter was hit on the wrist in late April and his swing was definitely impacted.

He's back to full strength now - homered Saturday on a "rehab" in rookie ball and went 3-4 with a HR yesterday.

That injury shouldn't change his prospect status, in fact if you can buy him low you should.

The emergence of Ezequiel Duran likely took away his prospects for contributing in 2023 but long term I see 15 HR / 15 SB high average, higher OBP, good D (to keep him on the field). Ceiling might be a Bryon Reynolds type?

Comment

I had stated in a previous post that after the graduation of Carroll, Henderson, Walker and Volpe, it was uncertain who I should put as the new no. 1. I had said that altho Elly De La Cruz was next on the list, I couldnt see making him the top guy because of his riskiness. What he's done so far after coming up to MLB has changed my mind. Hit for the cycle tonite (against a pretty good team) and currently is slashing .367/.424/.667 in 60 ABs. Yes, he's still striking out at a hi rate (28.8%) but it doesnt seem to be affecting his performance. I actually had Jackson Holliday as the top guy for a while but, while Holliday has been performing very well in the minors this year, the fact that Elly is performing at an elite level in MLB already cant be ignored. As of now, he's my no. 1 and I expect that he still will be when I post the next list (in about 2 weeks).

Comment

I had stated in a previous post that after the graduation of Carroll, Henderson, Walker and Volpe, it was uncertain who I should put as the new no. 1. I had said that altho Elly De La Cruz was next on the list, I couldnt see making him the top guy because of his riskiness. What he's done so far after coming up to MLB has changed my mind. Hit for the cycle tonite (against a pretty good team) and currently is slashing .367/.424/.667 in 60 ABs. Yes, he's still striking out at a hi rate (28.8%) but it doesnt seem to be affecting his performance. I actually had Jackson Holliday as the top guy for a while but, while Holliday has been performing very well in the minors this year, the fact that Elly is performing at an elite level in MLB already cant be ignored. As of now, he's my no. 1 and I expect that he still will be when I post the next list (in about 2 weeks).
                              Will Grayson Rodriguez still qualify for the next list? If so, will he move up or down from his number 15 ranking?

After his demotion, someone dropped him in my keeper league because we don't have reserves and have to use one of our four bench spots to stash him. So, I picked him up a few weeks ago and stashed him on my bench.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

Will Grayson Rodriguez still qualify for the next list? If so, will he move up or down from his number 15 ranking?

After his demotion, someone dropped him in my keeper league because we don't have reserves and have to use one of our four bench spots to stash him. So, I picked him up a few weeks ago and stashed him on my bench.
                                As of now he's still eligible because he has less than 50 MLB IP, but I dropped him down to no. 38 currently. I hear that he's done very well at AAA so he may be back up soon. I think you made an astute move by picking him up because I think he'll succeed eventually.
                                Last edited by rhd; 06-26-2023, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X