Hanrahan traded to Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanrahan traded to Red Sox

for Jerry Sands and Stolmy Pimentel. Seems like a great haul for the Bucs.

is Grilli the new closer?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      is Grilli the new closer?
      I don't see another logical candidate unless they decide to sign someone

Comment

Who will be the Boston closer?

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
          Who will be the Boston closer?
          I'd sure expect Hanrahan. You definitely can't count on Bailey staying healthy.

Comment

It's a nice problem to have for Boston...having 3 -4 guys who can close. But they'll be a lot better off if they slot them in a spot and leave them there as much as they can. Frankly, I think that Tazawa might be the best of the bunch in the long run...AND maybe the short run as well.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              It's a nice problem to have for Boston...having 3 -4 guys who can close. But they'll be a lot better off if they slot them in a spot and leave them there as much as they can. Frankly, I think that Tazawa might be the best of the bunch in the long run...AND maybe the short run as well.
              It's not a nice problem to have as it will cause controversy and unrest. If they wanted to create controversy why did they get rid of Valentine? He was doing such a fine job of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                It's not a nice problem to have as it will cause controversy and unrest. If they wanted to create controversy why did they get rid of Valentine? He was doing such a fine job of it.
                Why would a middle reliever create controversy? The only way it becomes a problem is if they play musical closers...if they have defined roles, and the manager lets then know that no BS is going to be tolerated, it shouldn't be a problem. Hell, there are several teams in the ML who have more than one guy who's capable of closing, and controversy rarely surfaces...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Why would a middle reliever create controversy? The only way it becomes a problem is if they play musical closers...if they have defined roles, and the manager lets then know that no BS is going to be tolerated, it shouldn't be a problem. Hell, there are several teams in the ML who have more than one guy who's capable of closing, and controversy rarely surfaces...
                  agreed -- Hanrahan is the closer. Nuff said.

Comment

I don't understand why Boston is trading prospects in their current situation. Seems really dumb to me.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Who would you rather have, Hanrahan or Frieri?

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

This is Boston. If there is no controversy, the media will feel bound to create one.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          I don't understand why Boston is trading prospects in their current situation. Seems really dumb to me.
                          +1 They're acting like they're going to contend in 2013. Boy are they in for a surprise. They still have questions to answer at 1B and SS. And who knows which part of that starting staff will show up in 2013. Honestly, I think Cherrington is grasping at straws. He probably wants to rebuild, but knows he'll get strung up if he tries it.

Red Sox are going to be a mess for a while, especially with the Jays and O's starting to take significant steps forward.
                          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            They're not trading any of their top prospects (not even close) and not blocking any of them with albatross free agent contracts -- seems pretty smart to me.

I really like what they are doing "on paper." Will it work? Who knows. But if the options were to do nothing or spend like a drunken sailor, I'll take this route and see what happens. They are not impacting what the team will look like in three years at all. And contrary to popular belief, there will not be a mass jumping off the Tobin Bridge if the team does not win in the next couple of years.
                            Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                              +1 They're acting like they're going to contend in 2013. Boy are they in for a surprise. They still have questions to answer at 1B and SS. And who knows which part of that starting staff will show up in 2013. Honestly, I think Cherrington is grasping at straws. He probably wants to rebuild, but knows he'll get strung up if he tries it.

Red Sox are going to be a mess for a while, especially with the Jays and O's starting to take significant steps forward.
                              They signed Drew for one season to bridge the gap to one of their SS prospects (probably Bogaerts), and 1b is probably the easiest position to fix...reports of the Red Sox demise are going to be found to be greatly exaggerated. As are the O's taking significant steps forward...look for them to go the other way this season.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X