No announcement yet.

Hanrahan traded to Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Pirates are getting Sands & Melancon out of this, a win for them. Hanrahan was gone after the year and no team is going to offer him a qualifying offer

Comment

Just like in fantasy, a deal can't be judged on the players in a vacuum, but their relative impact and usefulness to the team's overall roster.

The mystery to me is the second player coming back from Pittsburgh -- what if it is Garrett Jones? That makes sense from the Sands aspect of the deal and gives Boston another mediocre piece.
      Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

I think the Sox will be a lot better than people think. We'll see.
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I think the Red Sox lineup isn't bad, and the bullpen seems fine, but the rotation still looks like a flaming mess. I don't know if that is a recipe for anything more than average.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Why would a middle reliever create controversy? The only way it becomes a problem is if they play musical closers...if they have defined roles, and the manager lets then know that no BS is going to be tolerated, it shouldn't be a problem. Hell, there are several teams in the ML who have more than one guy who's capable of closing, and controversy rarely surfaces...
            I disagree with you. You have two guys who have been closers and want to continue to be closers. Moving from closer to middle relief is a huge demotion. If, as everyone is presuming Bailey becomes a middle reliever, I think he will say all of the right things but will remain upset. When Hanrahan struggles-and he will-the fans will be calling for a change at closer, so there will be controversy.

I agree there are multiple teams who have more than one guy capable of closing ( since almost any quality reliever can do it) but there are very few teams who have relievers who have been successful closers in the past, and did nothing to make them believe they deserve to lose that role who are being taken out of that role.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
              I disagree with you. You have two guys who have been closers and want to continue to be closers. Moving from closer to middle relief is a huge demotion. If, as everyone is presuming Bailey becomes a middle reliever, I think he will say all of the right things but will remain upset. When Hanrahan struggles-and he will-the fans will be calling for a change at closer, so there will be controversy.

I agree there are multiple teams who have more than one guy capable of closing ( since almost any quality reliever can do it) but there are very few teams who have relievers who have been successful closers in the past, and did nothing to make them believe they deserve to lose that role who are being taken out of that role.
              You're making two very large assumptions here...one is that Bailey will be upset and somehow create dissension in the locker room, and two, that Hanrahan will struggle in the closer role. Neither are givens at all...especially since Bailey has never had more than 26 saves in a season, and almost as many arm injuries. Slight exaggeration there...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

You're making two very large assumptions here...one is that Bailey will be upset and somehow create dissension in the locker room, and two, that Hanrahan will struggle in the closer role. Neither are givens at all...especially since Bailey has never had more than 26 saves in a season, and almost as many arm injuries. Slight exaggeration there...
                I did not say that Bailey will create dissension in the locker room as I expect he will not. I am expecting him to be upset. While I am expecting Hanrahan to struggle I am not saying he will be unsuccessful. What I am saying is that he will probably have some trouble and when he does there will be controversy because many will feeel, as do I, that bailey is the superior pitcher. I did not say but do believe that Hanrahan is not a particularly good pitcher but that doesn't mean that he can't succeed as a closer.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                  I did not say that Bailey will create dissension in the locker room as I expect he will not. I am expecting him to be upset. While I am expecting Hanrahan to struggle I am not saying he will be unsuccessful. What I am saying is that he will probably have some trouble and when he does there will be controversy because many will feeel, as do I, that bailey is the superior pitcher. I did not say but do believe that Hanrahan is not a particularly good pitcher but that doesn't mean that he can't succeed as a closer.
                  You're also mistaken with your statement that two closers (who have had and want the role) in the same clubhouse rarely happens. It happens all the time. The Red Sox have done it in the recent past. The Yankees. The Dodgers. The Nationals...

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                    You're also mistaken with your statement that two closers (who have had and want the role) in the same clubhouse rarely happens. It happens all the time. The Red Sox have done it in the recent past. The Yankees. The Dodgers. The Nationals...
                    I did not say that. This is what I said. "there are very few teams who have relievers who have been successful closers in the past, and did nothing to make them believe they deserve to lose that role who are being taken out of that role. ".

Neither Bailey nor Hanrahan have reason to feel that they they should not be closers, based upon their performances. Certainly other teams have had more than one closer but here both of these guys should feel confidant that they are presently successful closers.

Comment

I agree here. For Bailey to be upset and cause dissension in the locker room, he would have to not cause dissension in the trainer's room long enough for this to matter.

Comment

Trade is now official -- Hanrahan and Brock Holt for Stoly Pimentel, Jerry Sands, Mark Melancon, and Ivan DeJesus

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          Trade is now official -- Hanrahan and Brock Holt for Stoly Pimentel, Jerry Sands, Mark Melancon, and Ivan DeJesus
                          Seems like a great haul for the Buccos.

Comment

It really is when you consider Melancon's overall numbers are muddied up by a horrendous April. Over the last 2 years, he's struck out 3 guys for every one that he has walked and has a >50% groundball rate. Add Sands & DeJesus on top of that for 25 man roster depth for a reliever that you likely would have traded away 4 months into the season and Pittsburgh has done quite well.

Comment

So, who closes for Boston, now?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Seems like a great haul for the Buccos.
                                Really? I hope you're right. I'm a big fan of Hanrahan and i am finding it difficult to get excited over this deal right now. Maybe when/if Sands and Melancon put up some good numbers for the Pirates, i'll be convinced. I was hoping Franklin Morales would be one of the players coming to the Pirates, but i guess the Red Sox still have plans for him.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X