One last nail-biting week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One last nail-biting week...

Trying to hold on for the title in my league (Madducks and Mag7 in league). I have a 9.5 point lead but..depending on how it goes i could lose around 5-7 points this last week and the second place team can gain a few...

Barring an EPIC collapse I should hang on...but ya never know.

Anyone else in the hunt for their league title?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I'm in much the same position - first, have a 5 point lead, but just a week ago it was .5 so I'm not feeling overly confident ... I'm just hoping this last week that all the regulars sit for the callups & nothing changes much. Lots of live boxscore watching this week.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'm in first place in my 12-team NL-Only 4x4, and have been holding steady at 72-74 points for the past week or so. Two contenders behind me have been bobbing around between 67-70 points. As of today, it's:

Me - 74
      Contender 1 - 68
      Contender 2 - 67

There's probably not going to be a lot of movement in the last week. My categories of greatest concern are:

1) Wins

Me - 90
      Contender 2 - 87
      Schlub 1 - 87
      Contender 1 - 86
      Schlub 2 - 85
      Schlub 3 - 84

Both contenders have better starting pitchers than me, but I have more starting pitchers than either of them, so I should be able to keep them at bay with sheer numbers. Either contender could lose ground. Two wins from Kyle Lohse/ Josh Johnson/ Ian Kennedy/ AJ Burnett/ Jon Niese/ Jaime Garcia/ relief corps would likely seal the deal in the category.

2) RBI

Me - 789
      Schlub 1 - 779
      Contender 1 - 770

I do have a lot of dinged up hitters on non-contenders who could be shut down, so there's mild danger of Contender 1 overtaking me.

Other considerations:

BA: I can only improve, possibly at the expense of Contender 1. Contender 1 could make up big ground if his team heats up - he could jump the three teams in front of him pretty easily.

HR: I'm static. Contenders 1 & 2 could gain or lose a point or two.

SB: I'm static. Contenders 1 & 2 could gain or lose a point or two.

ERA: Contender 1 can only lose a point. Contender 2 could gain a point at my expense.

Saves: Contender 1 is static. I can't lose ground, but could gain a point or two, likely at Contender 2's expense.

K: Contender 1 could lose a point. Contender 2 and I are static.

Summary: I'm a fairly solid favorite, but I could be had. Just gotta keep grinding it out day by day.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

My roto league I will finish a solid 4th. Only top 3 get anything and I don't have a chance to move up. 2nd straight year I get 4th and we draft in reverse order next year so for 2 years in a row I get the lowest draft position you can get and still not partake in winnings.

My h2h I am playing my kid for the championship. We finished 1-2 in the regular season and this is the first time ever that league has had the top 2 finishers in the finals. It will make for some fun phone calls until the season ends.

Comment

Battling for 1st in all 3 of my leagues.

NL Only, I JUST regained 1st after dropping out in Aug. Though only by a half a point--I'm more vulnerable than my competition, but at least I know it's possible now. 2nd place is the very lowest i'll place.

12 Team mixed, a 3 way race with me in second but with the most chance to improve. 86, 87, 89 are the totals--I should finish no lower than third. Just depends on HRs/Rbi and Wins/Ks

10 team H2H, right now am in the lead with 4 days to go--should be able to hold on as my team is stronger, but you never know.

So i can be celebrating 3 championships next week or bemoaning my luck...at which point I'll change my board moniker to Mith
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Trying to hold on for the title in my league (Madducks and Mag7 in league). I have a 9.5 point lead but..depending on how it goes i could lose around 5-7 points this last week and the second place team can gain a few...

Barring an EPIC collapse I should hang on...but ya never know.

Anyone else in the hunt for their league title?
            9.5 pts is nail biting???
            i have a 1.5 point lead that was as low as .5 during the games last night.
            now THAT's nail biting...
            One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

I'm not in contention for the top spots in any of my leagues, and only have a slight chance of even finishing in the money in a few of them. It's not as bad as last year, but I'm still doing a lot wrong, and I doubt that luck has been much of a factor.

In other words, if I offer advice, consider the source.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                I'm in much the same position - first, have a 5 point lead, but just a week ago it was .5 so I'm not feeling overly confident ... I'm just hoping this last week that all the regulars sit for the callups & nothing changes much. Lots of live boxscore watching this week.
                so the team that is right behind me in wins has Doug Fister, the team that is chasing me in saves has Valverde ... todays blown save by Valverde keeps me from losing two points!!! Woot!!!

edit - just realized it was Benoit that blew the save, not Valverde ... still good news ....
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I can relate. I'm really starting to get worried about my 19 point lead in my Yahoo public league.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
                    It is when there are so many close categories where 2nd and 3rd place can gain points and i can lose points.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      I can relate. I'm really starting to get worried about my 19 point lead in my Yahoo public league.
                      Only 19 points. In a Yahoo public league? That's weak

Comment

Looks to be my best year ever. I'm in 1st in 2 of my 3 money leagues. Running away in one league and 2.5 pt lead in the other which probably will go down to the wire. I'm in the last money spot (4th place) in my other money league, and probably will stay where I am. A chance to move up 1-2 places and a chance to drop a place, but unlikely. In my non-money league, I'm having a terrible year; I find myself caring less and less about that league, which is my original one.

The money I'll win is sorely needed

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                          Looks to be my best year ever. I'm in 1st in 2 of my 3 money leagues. Running away in one league and 2.5 pt lead in the other which probably will go down to the wire. I'm in the last money spot (4th place) in my other money league, and probably will stay where I am. A chance to move up 1-2 places and a chance to drop a place, but unlikely. In my non-money league, I'm having a terrible year; I find myself caring less and less about that league, which is my original one.

The money I'll win is sorely needed
                          With all the effort you put in prospecting, you deserve it!
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Five-way battle for the title in my longtime re-draft league.

1 - Hammer.....118.5
                            2 - Team A....116.5
                            3 - Team B.....116.0
                            4 - Revo......110.0
                            5 - Team C.....108.5

Hammer is going for a repeat, I'm going for my 7th title since 1998. Team A has charged up 30 pts in the last 6-8 weeks, the other four were constant since early summer.

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
                              Yes nail biting..lead down to 6.5. Everything that can go wrong is. My hitting is pathetic. Second place team is gaining in several cats while I lose. Hell I could end up in second or even third, behind by 4 or 5 points.

What an epic collapse.

All year I never felt my team was the best, second place team is much better on paper, so the best team may win.

I either need to quit this game or find a way to not take it so serious.

Comment

Working...
                              X