No announcement yet.

Dodgers awarded waiver claim on Gonzo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers have discussed Allen Webster, Zach Lee, Rubby De La Rosa and Jerry Sands in trade talks with the Red Sox.
    The Dodgers and Red Sox are reportedly close to a deal that would send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to Los Angeles. The Red Sox wouldn't get all four of the names mentioned above, but one or more of them could go in a trade package. Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox would send some cash to the Dodgers to help facilitate a deal.

Comment

I want this to happen and then I want Boston to get uber cheap and build from within rather than chase after Josh Hamilton and Zack Greinke.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        This is one of the biggest deals in the history of baseball if it goes through.

"The Dodgers have agreed to send Webster, De La Rosa, Loney, Sands, and De Jesus to the Red Sox, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Meanwhile, a source tells Rob Bradford of WEEI (Twitter link) not to expect a deal to be completed tonight."

I'm bummed that the Dodgers will potentially be losing de la Rosa. I have irrational Pedro Martinez fears about this.
        Now, you're seriously getting annoying about this...Yankee Fan, Top Chuckie level annoying. You're Dodgers will receive 1/3 of an All Star team, and you really expect to give up nothing in return? Boston doesn't need salary relief, they need to re-build in a hurry if they wan't to stay relevant in the AL East. CC, if fully healthy, is a catalyst, A-Gone is a top 5 1st baseman, and Beckett, if motivated, is still capable of coming up with big game performances. Hell, even Punto is a useful piece to have.

You wanted your guy Colletti to either get his head out of his ass or be fired...well, I don't know what else he can do besides this. As you said in a previous post, it's one of the biggest deals in the history of baseball, if it goes down, and it gives a huge gain going into the stretch, and puts them clearly in the catbird seat for years to come.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Our 1st-place team has led since May 12, been up by 20 pts for about 2 months of that time - and seen his lead drop to ONE pt as of this afternoon.
          If AdGonz goes to NL, the leading team in FAAB (we can only bid on AL arrivals) is a mostly-dormant franchise that is 9th, may be phased out next year, and it's past the trading deadline so why would they bother with no hope of money?
          Red-hot 2nd-place team would be next in FAAB line to grab AdGonz (to replace Andres Torres!).

UNLESS....

A mediocre team owns Loney at 20 - which would be enough to bump them up to 2nd in FAAB - AND Sands, who would be worth 5 FAAB and propel that dope into 1st in FAAB.
          That dope is me....
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

As a Dodger fan, I'm thrilled they're being epically aggressive......but, this deal could potentially be franchise-crippling in a couple of years.

I'm also amazed Cherington was able to get out of the Crawford deal.....

Comment

This is one of the biggest deals in the history of baseball if it goes through.

"The Dodgers have agreed to send Webster, De La Rosa, Loney, Sands, and De Jesus to the Red Sox, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Meanwhile, a source tells Rob Bradford of WEEI (Twitter link) not to expect a deal to be completed tonight."

I'm bummed that the Dodgers will potentially be losing de la Rosa. I have irrational Pedro Martinez fears about this.
              How far away is de la Rosa from the bigs? And how would you rate the other three (ignoring Loney, who's useless)?

I'll have a shot at picking one of the four up if Beckett goes in the deal. TIA!
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Our 1st-place team has led since May 12, been up by 20 pts for about 2 months of that time - and seen his lead drop to ONE pt as of this afternoon.
                If AdGonz goes to NL, the leading team in FAAB (we can only bid on AL arrivals) is a mostly-dormant franchise that is 9th, may be phased out next year, and it's past the trading deadline so why would they bother with no hope of money?
                Red-hot 2nd-place team would be next in FAAB line to grab AdGonz (to replace Andres Torres!).

UNLESS....

A mediocre team owns Loney at 20 - which would be enough to bump them up to 2nd in FAAB - AND Sands, who would be worth 5 FAAB and propel that dope into 1st in FAAB.
                That dope is me....
                Wow. That would be pretty awesome. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  As a Dodger fan, I'm thrilled they're being epically aggressive......but, this deal could potentially be franchise-crippling in a couple of years.

I'm also amazed Cherington was able to get out of the Crawford deal.....
                  This has the same potential to be franchise crippling as any of the big Yankee signings...virtually none. This is a club that's going to be printing money for the next several decades, isn't it just nice to see them being able to spend it all of a sudden? And remember the old adage, flags fly forever...they have a legitimate shot this year, go for it and it'll pay off huge for years.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

JonHeymanCBS 10:53pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Crawford has 3 team no-trade list. As luck would have it, #dodgers are 1 of 3. As of few minutes ago he was yet to be asked
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

de la Rosa sent to Albuquerque, probably because guys in the minors don't have to pass through waivers to be traded.

From the Consider the Source Department, via Rotoworld--"Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that Carl Crawford has the Dodgers on his partial no-trade list. It was previously reported that Crawford has two teams on his no-trade list, but it turns out three teams are on the list. As of late Friday night, the Red Sox have yet to ask him to waive his no-trade clause."

And from an even more impeachable source than Heyman, as reported by Nick Cafardo--"Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine expects Josh Beckett to make his next scheduled start Saturday against the Royals."

My view--If the deal goes down, there will be a lot of yelling and screaming, probably coming from the Yankees and Giants, the latter understandably, the former because they like to yell and scream if someone does a deal like they would do. The Dodgers would be taking on a ton of salary over a long time, and for this year would be gambling that Beckett will turn it around as soon as he gets back to the NL. It may be more for next year, when Crawford will be back. It changes greatly the dynamics of the upcoming off-season's free agent market as well, as it would likely remove the Dodgers from the equation for starting pitchers and outfielders. They still need to do something about the middle infield and especially 3B.

For Boston, it's interesting. Beckett was dead meat as far as staying, and Crawford has been not only a severe disappointment but stands as a symbol of the late Theo regime, a symbol that top management would like to erase. Punto is irrelevant. A-Gon is the fascinating part. Is he a scapegoat, is he a problem despite his rep as good in the clubhouse, is there a physical issue, is he another holdover that Cherington wants to get rid of? For the future, I just don't see how this can improve the Red Sox any other than to provide salary relief, and given their recent free agent adventures, can the fan base have any faith that the Sawx can rebuild that way? I'd like to read a Red Sox fan's take on this (DJB?).
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

Dear lord, I will stop using your name in vain so much if you make this come true.
                        The Pen will use this until the sun swallows the earth if this trade happens. And, oh yeah, including me. The trade reported would be nuts for everyone.

Comment

Where's B-Fly's post? I was going to respond but it disappeared. As if the Red Sox aren't the favorites for every free agent this offseason if this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            This has the same potential to be franchise crippling as any of the big Yankee signings...virtually none. This is a club that's going to be printing money for the next several decades, isn't it just nice to see them being able to spend it all of a sudden? And remember the old adage, flags fly forever...they have a legitimate shot this year, go for it and it'll pay off huge for years.
                            Whoa, slow down there Slim! Big George had a money-printing machine.......all we know about this new ownership is they want to make a major first impression! What's different about this group than, let's say, the Huizenga Marlins or the Murdoch Dodgers? We have no idea.Why are you jumping to conclusions??

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Whoa, slow down there Slim! Big George had a money-printing machine.......all we know about this new ownership is they want to make a major first impression! What's different about this group than, let's say, the Huizenga Marlins or the Murdoch Dodgers? We have no idea.Why are you jumping to conclusions??
                              Because they play in the 2nd largest market in the country, and the Dodger franchise is as big historically as the Yankees. They have a great possibility of either upgrading Dodger Stadium, or building a new joint, either one of which will bring in major bucks. And, unless I'm mistaken, they have a new TV deal coming up after this season...one that could bring them in the neighborhood of 4 Billion over the life of the deal.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                Because they play in the 2nd largest market in the country, and the Dodger franchise is as big historically as the Yankees. They have a great possibility of either upgrading Dodger Stadium, or building a new joint, either one of which will bring in major bucks. And, unless I'm mistaken, they have a new TV deal coming up after this season...one that could bring them in the neighborhood of 4 Billion over the life of the deal.
                                Perhaps you're right on the TV contract, but until this team starts winning on a consistent basis -- in both the regular season and the post-season -- I'm not about to put them anywhere near the Yankees' class. Heck, no professional sports team is near the Yankees' class. Teams like the Red Sox and Phillies are pimples on the Yankees' money-printing butt.

With the amount/size of the waiver claims the Dodgers have thrown out there recently, honestly I'm more fearful this is the Murdoch-era Dodgers: just pay big bucks to whomever wants to come here. And we all know how that Dodger era turned out -- the worst in franchise history. I'm not sure these deals are much different right now than Darren Dreifort & Devon White. Crawford has one of the worst contracts in MLB history, let's not forget.

Comment

Working...
                                X