Dodgers awarded waiver claim on Gonzo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    100% true. Neither Webster nor de la Rosa (who I thought was clearly the best non-Kershaw young Dodger pitcher in the entire system) are inconsequential.
    I forgot about de la Rosa, good point. I haven't seen him pitch, but I did see Webster, and I was very impressed. Given the roadkill Boston has in their rotation right now, I'd not be surprised at all if Webster is starting next year.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Reports are Hanley will play shortstop next year. That seems to leave Gordon without a job. Do you think they'll trade him? Does he have any trade value? Will they just keep him in AAA and see if he improves, and then trade him?
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        100% true. Neither Webster nor de la Rosa (who I thought was clearly the best non-Kershaw young Dodger pitcher in the entire system) are inconsequential.

Still, this deal was obviously about next year. Like overkill said, it was obvious that a pretty major cog in the trade wasn't even going to play this year at all. I'm wondering how soon he'll be able to get back. Seems like position players come back from TJ faster but there isn't a lot of data on the subject that I could find. It's true that they didn't empty the farm system on a bunch of rentals, though. Not one of the players acquired in the big deal outside of ol' Puto had an expiring contract.
        I couldn't disagree more. The trade was OBVIOUSLY an attempt to make a run at the post season THIS year, with an upside toward next year. The deal wasn't even about Crawford or Beckett initially--It was about Adrian. One LA was told that in order to get gonzo, they'd have to take on the contracts of Beckett and Crawford as well, then maybe-- the long term of the deal came into play--But no--this was an attempt to win this year and if that didn't work--well we're looking good going into 2013.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

For 2013, I think the Dodgers would be better off with De La Rosa and Webster than paying $36M to Crawford and Beckett.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            Reports are Hanley will play shortstop next year.
            Adjust Juan Uribe's $ value accordingly...
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              Adjust Juan Uribe's $ value accordingly...
              From -$2 to -$4?
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                From -$2 to -$4?
                with less playing time it probably goes from -$4 to -$2
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

This deal was about the TV rights being negiotated, they had to wash the bad taste of the McCords out of the system, and show that they were trying to win this year, next year, and the next couple after that to score the big dollars. Average LA TV fan doesn't care about Webster or De La Rosa, but they know who Adrian is....
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    While I think the Dodgers did the right thing - after their next TV deal, they may well be the richest franchise in baseball - I sure can't agree Webster is an "inconsequential prospect". I'm not up on Dodger prospects (not an NL only player or LAD fan), but I remember that Webster was the #2 pitching prospect in the system. I haven't seen your #1, but he must be one heck of a pitcher, because Webster has some very serious stuff and sure appears to have a very solid makeup. Webster reminds me a lot of Yovani Gallardo - but he has an even better fastball than Gallardo does.
                    You guys read my post wrong - "gave up inconsequential prospects for the rentals" - I'm taking about the guys they gave up for League, Victorino, and Blanton.

The big trade set out to achieve three things:
                    1. Help the Dodgers make the playoffs in 2012
                    2. Fill holes for 2013 and beyond, especially considering free agency will be kind of thin
                    3. Get the fan base excited again

Obviously #1 didn't quite work out, but they seem like a lock for at least a wild card spot next year and will probably be the favorites for the division unless SF upgrades its offense. #3 definitely worked out despite the results - the fans know that the owners actually want to win now.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505

In other news, have you guys seen the 2013 first base market? Loney might actually be one of the best options out there. Yikes. Assuming that Adam LaRoche gets his option picked up there's pretty much Berkman, Pena, Napoli, and a bunch of leftovers.
                      Swisher and/or Youkilis ($13M option) could also end up at 1B.

If Loney is the replacement-level player at 1B, it's going to give every other 1B an MVP-level WAR.
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                        Swisher and/or Youkilis ($13M option) could also end up at 1B.

If Loney is the replacement-level player at 1B, it's going to give every other 1B an MVP-level WAR.
                        Even with Swisher and Youkilis as possible free agent signings at 1B, it's an ugly market if you need a first baseman. You're probably better off with whatever organizational fodder you have this year and hoping to score with someone you sign next off-season.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Working...
                        X