Michael Fiers Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madducks View Post
    So, will Greinke be traded to keep Fiers in the rotation after Marcum returns from the DL?

And isn't Marcum also in the last year of his contract?
    Greinke will command a very big contract. 8 games out, three teams to leap frog, more for the wild card. Greinke $20m plus requirement. The Brewers will want to get something for him. Not a matter of if, but when.

I also think I read something at the begining of the year that Marcum was the target to extend not Greinke.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Huh, sheer boosterism...LOL. No, he's doing MUCH better than expected, but I believe the "experts" who've watched these guys for a while, not just a few starts. Maybe he's one of those guys who are late bloomers, but the likelihood is that he's enjoying the 1st time around the league honeymoon and will come back to Earth soon. I wish his owners all the best, but once that fall stats, don't be afraid to bail earlier rather than later.
      Agreed.

Signed,
      Drew Smyly owner

Comment

Huh, sheer boosterism...LOL. No, he's doing MUCH better than expected, but I believe the "experts" who've watched these guys for a while, not just a few starts. Maybe he's one of those guys who are late bloomers, but the likelihood is that he's enjoying the 1st time around the league honeymoon and will come back to Earth soon. I wish his owners all the best, but once that fall stats, don't be afraid to bail earlier rather than later.
        So if I agree with this 100% and he stays hot the 1st time around the league, doesn't that make him a great play for contenders? His first time around the league almost gets him to the end of the year.

I am shocked that the contending teams in my NL league have not inquired about him at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          So if I agree with this 100% and he stays hot the 1st time around the league, doesn't that make him a great play for contenders? His first time around the league almost gets him to the end of the year.

I am shocked that the contending teams in my NL league have not inquired about him at all.
          Sure, he's a great pickup for you...but nobody is going to pay anything but the bottom for a guy who's got no reputation to go on. Look at the madness for Trevor Bauer, big rep, big expectations. And I bet that you could still move him for a ton, where Feirs won't bring you diddly. So keep him and enjoy the ride...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't think it goes as far as "1st time around the league". After a half dozen starts the scouting reports have an increasing amount of data that are leveraged by upcoming opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
              Keith Law is certainly respected but another gem from Fiers today who continues to rack up > 1K per inning. While drawing the parallel to Collmenter from a hot start perspective is apt, it just seems that Fiers has much more of a command driven performance vs. the funky delivery Collmenter has that cause hitters a hard time to adapt. Not saying that Fiers will be a top-rotation guy for rest of the year but I'm certainly hoping on board at this point.
              Law generally looks at the long term picture when giving these types of answers. So while Fiers may have the entire league baffled for most of this year, the expectation is that he will settle into a 4/5 type SP.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Sure, he's a great pickup for you...but nobody is going to pay anything but the bottom for a guy who's got no reputation to go on. Look at the madness for Trevor Bauer, big rep, big expectations. And I bet that you could still move him for a ton, where Feirs won't bring you diddly. So keep him and enjoy the ride...
                I'm certainly not as learned as many of you guys here, but Bauer has had an issue with control since he became a pro. He may be a good one eventually, but when he's walking a batter every other inning, it's going to be a rough start for him. As for Fiers, he has a much better MiL track record than Bauer with some good overall numbers in the PCL, from my vantage point. His walk rates and strikeout rates have been good, and he hasn't given up a bunch of hits. His biggest knock is his age, imo, which is significant. It's worth nothing, however, that his last year of college was at age 24 (for whatever reason), and he's moved up through the system consistently with success at every stop. My biggest question about him right now is how he'll handle the increased workload this year. That's just my perspective, though I'll readily admit that most (if not all) of you guys know a whole lot more than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                  I don't think it goes as far as "1st time around the league". After a half dozen starts the scouting reports have an increasing amount of data that are leveraged by upcoming opponents.
                  8 GS now and another gem in the books.

Comment

9 GS now and "the book" is still not out I guess. Too bad Milwaukee can't seem to score runs for either him or Estrada. Really can't see Milwaukee taking either of those guys out of the rotation once Marcum comes back. Estrada has issues with the long ball but he doesn't put runners on and has a huge DOM rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                      9 GS now and "the book" is still not out I guess. Too bad Milwaukee can't seem to score runs for either him or Estrada. Really can't see Milwaukee taking either of those guys out of the rotation once Marcum comes back. Estrada has issues with the long ball but he doesn't put runners on and has a huge DOM rate.
                      I want to see you posting after every start once he begins to get lit up on a regular basis...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I want to see you posting after every start once he begins to get lit up on a regular basis...
                        Only one guy has offered me anything for Fiers in our keeper league. He wanted me to give him another keeper pitcher with Fiers for Gee $5. I said no.

It will be interesting to see what happens the second time around.

Comment

Eh, you're just jealous you don't have him

Comment

You mean like we did with Jose Bautista??

Comment

Thru 5 tonight vs. Washington:

5IP, 6K, 2BB, 1HA

Book is definitely out on this guy..

Comment

LOL....don't dislocate your shoulders patting yourselves on the back boys...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X