Michael Fiers Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Fiers Wow!

He did it again! 10ks in 6 innings. 0 era, .083 whip!

Is he going to keep it up?

I have not seen him pitch. At 27 he is not exactly young (late bloomer?). I tried to trade him to a Brewers homer before last nights game. He declined. He says that Fiers throws high heat, but it has no movement. He thinks it is only a matter of time before Fiers comes back to earth.

I am kind of glad he declined. As rebuilder I do not have much to lose by hanging on to him.

Anyone have any thoughts about this guy?

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    . He says that Fiers throws high heat, but it has no movement. He thinks it is only a matter of time before Fiers comes back to eart

I always read he had a very average FB (89-91) but good command and curve and above average change. Hadn't heard about high heat before.

Comment

Amazing what a guy can do when they command 4 different pitches

Comment

Someone asked Keith Law last night if Feirs could be a top of the rotation guy...his answer was no, more of a 4-5 starter. Still has some value, but beware the Collmenter syndrome.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

He's not this awesome, but he's good - IMO, he'll be a mid-rotation SP, and he has a near lock on a SP position for Milwaukee next year, barring injury. Remember that Greinke, Wolf, and Marcum are all FAs at the end of the year, and the Brewers probably won't pay two of them and won't want Wolf. The other Brewer top SPs are really struggling in AAA ball.

Fiers does have some cutting movement on his fastball when he keeps it down, but does not have good movement high in the zone. His velocity is in the 88-92 range. He throws a very good 12-6 curve, and can also throw it more like a slider with a bit more horizontal movement and late break. He has a plus change. As Jason noted, he has good command of all of his pitches.

I like his on-mound attitude, too - he doesn't fold up like a cheap tent when he lacks good stuff.

In fantasy baseball terms, I see him long term as a very good WHIP, moderate K, good to OK ERA type of pitcher.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Best WW pick up I have had in years. And its a keeper league.

Does anyone remember when Dennis Eckersley was the king of closers? I some similarities, but I was only passingly interested at the time.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Best WW pick up I have had in years. And its a keeper league.

Does anyone remember when Dennis Eckersley was the king of closers? I some similarities, but I was only passingly interested at the time.

J
              I won the bid at $15 (next bid was $13) hoping to catch lightening in a bottle for my rebuilding team. Our rules allow us to keep FA this year and next. The plan was to trade him off if he came out hot. Now I am not so sure I want to trade him. Then again there hasn't been any real bites yet. I am not really sure what value to place on him yet. 5x5 NL only.

Comment

I won the bid at $15 (next bid was $13) hoping to catch lightening in a bottle for my rebuilding team. Our rules allow us to keep FA this year and next. The plan was to trade him off if he came out hot. Now I am not so sure I want to trade him. Then again there hasn't been any real bites yet. I am not really sure what value to place on him yet. 5x5 NL only.
                Feel free to comment on the above. It will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comment

Feel free to comment on the above. It will be appreciated.

Thank you.
                  He's worth more to you than anyone else right now
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Someone asked Keith Law last night if Feirs could be a top of the rotation guy...his answer was no, more of a 4-5 starter. Still has some value, but beware the Collmenter syndrome.
                    Keith Law is certainly respected but another gem from Fiers today who continues to rack up > 1K per inning. While drawing the parallel to Collmenter from a hot start perspective is apt, it just seems that Fiers has much more of a command driven performance vs. the funky delivery Collmenter has that cause hitters a hard time to adapt. Not saying that Fiers will be a top-rotation guy for rest of the year but I'm certainly hoping on board at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                      He's worth more to you than anyone else right now
                      How about now?

Comment

How about now?
                        Tough loss but he probably shifted perception. One more great start and it's either sell or believe. Pretty hard not to believe with those ratios though.
                        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

So, will Greinke be traded to keep Fiers in the rotation after Marcum returns from the DL?

And isn't Marcum also in the last year of his contract?
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Why wouldn't Wolf be the odd man out? He's horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                              Keith Law is certainly respected but another gem from Fiers today who continues to rack up > 1K per inning. While drawing the parallel to Collmenter from a hot start perspective is apt, it just seems that Fiers has much more of a command driven performance vs. the funky delivery Collmenter has that cause hitters a hard time to adapt. Not saying that Fiers will be a top-rotation guy for rest of the year but I'm certainly hoping on board at this point.
                              Huh, sheer boosterism...LOL. No, he's doing MUCH better than expected, but I believe the "experts" who've watched these guys for a while, not just a few starts. Maybe he's one of those guys who are late bloomers, but the likelihood is that he's enjoying the 1st time around the league honeymoon and will come back to Earth soon. I wish his owners all the best, but once that fall stats, don't be afraid to bail earlier rather than later.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X