J.A. Happ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.A. Happ

Jump on the J.A. Happ train before it leaves the station.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

I have had Happ at $5 since auction day. He needs to stay hot so I can trade him.

Comment

Has he actually made any changes lately, or is he just having better results? I like the K/9 but the walks are still high overall.

Comment

Happ for $5?

not unless it's 20-team NL.

my praise: He's not as bad as you think.
        Last edited by Judge Jude; 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

He was very solid in his last six starts of 2011. Combining that with 2012, when he's allowed less than 2 HR (11/15 starts, 8/9 at home), he gets a "quality start". Very good guy to rotate for home and favorable starts.

One interesting negative - opponent's BA has gotten higher over the last couple years ago, specifically lefties. LHB were hitting < .220 from 2008-2010, .270+ for 2011 and 2012. They need to get their pitch f/x guy on that...
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Has he actually made any changes lately, or is he just having better results? I like the K/9 but the walks are still high overall.
            Four walks in 17 innings in his last 3 starts. Infer what you may from that. His last 3 starts are a pretty good barometer of what I expect to see from him going forward. I'm not saying he's going to be a top 5 starter in the NL, but he ought to be worth starting every turn in an NL-only league.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              I have had Happ at $5 since auction day. He needs to stay hot so I can trade him.
              See, now that would be getting off the train just as it leaves the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                They need to get their pitch f/x guy on that...
                They really should.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  Happ for $5?

not unless it's 20-team NL.

my prasie: He's not as bad as you think.
                  No, but it is a very deep NL only 5x5 keeper league. 12 teams, can keep up to 15 per year, 17 round reserve draft. Large inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    See, now that would be getting off the train just as it leaves the station.
                    We do not get to keep Houston players that were drafted this year.

Comment

Speaking of the 'stros, the Carlos Lee deal is in its last year, Happ and Lowrie become FA in 2015.

So for at least 2013-2104, there is a salary base around $42M (assuming Myers' option is exercised), with a really nice MI of Altuve/Lowrie/Gonzalez and a nice pitching core of Wandy/Norris/Happ.

It will be very interesting to see if Houston decides as soon as next year to return to the $90M range, even the $75M range. And, while I don't want to get anyone too excited, but former 'stro Geoff Blum is a FA next year.
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Wait, can anyone explain to me why Happ is someone to target? After looking at his stats, he's been more or less the same pitcher for several years now --- FIP in the 4.5 range, 7-ish K/9, good for an injury or two...
                        What I saw when I picked him during our reserve draft:
                        1. K-rate
                        2. Had a definite spot in the rotation
                        3. Better at home
                        4. Good end to last year
                        5. NL Central

That all added up to him being a good bet as a guy I could rotate in for favorable matchups.
                        For me, K-rate and better at home are really key to rotating pitchers. If you have a guy with good ratios and a poor k rate, he's barley better than a good setup guy. If you have a guy who's better at home, that coincides with the home-field advantage to give a better chance to get the win.

Comment

hmmmm

Also seeing less changeups and more cutters this season than in past seasons

Comment

For those who care about such things, yesterday's victory was the 29th of Happ's career, which ties him for the all-time record for most major-league wins by a Northwestern graduate. As a Northwestern graduate myself, I'm one of those people who cares about such things. I'm only 29 behind him.

Comment

A brief recap over last week's pitching performances for the Houston Astros.

Comment

Working...
                              X