Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamels suspension - how long should it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamels suspension - how long should it be?

I'd say minimum of two months (because it will be appealed and reduced).

Not for hitting Harper, but for utter stupidity.

from rotoworld:

MLB suspended Cole Hamels for five games and fined him an undisclosed amount for intentionally throwing at Nationals' outfielder Bryce Harper during Sunday's game.

Hamels hit Harper with a fastball in the first inning of Sunday's game and later admitted that it was intentional. The suspension is the appropriate course of action here, though it's hardly a severe punishment, as his next start will merely be pushed back by a day. Hamels will not appeal and will begin serving the suspension Monday night.

Comment

Ceremonial only.
      10-game would entail missing a start...
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        Ceremonial only.
        10-game would entail missing a start...
        when will baseball realize this?

Comment

Yeah, I never get the 5 game suspension for a starter...maybe they just can't come up with a way to do it fairly, and worry that it will cause appeal issues if they suspend a starter for longer than a reliever for the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Yeah, I never get the 5 game suspension for a starter...maybe they just can't come up with a way to do it fairly, and worry that it will cause appeal issues if they suspend a starter for longer than a reliever for the same thing?
            I'm with you. But I certainly don't think it would be unfair to give a longer suspension to a starter, so as to ensure that he actually misses some (more than insignificant) time. As is, it's a sad joke.

Comment

Does he say why he hit him?

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                Does he say why he hit him?
                he's old school.

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
                  I'm with you. But I certainly don't think it would be unfair to give a longer suspension to a starter, so as to ensure that he actually misses some (more than insignificant) time. As is, it's a sad joke.
                  I assume that the number of games means that they lose (#games/162) of their salary for the year, which means that they can't arbitrarily decide to suspend a pitcher 10 games just to make sure he misses a start.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Just the fact that he felt the need to brag to everyone about how "old school" he is tells you everything you need to know about this moron. Hamels has always struck me as being one of the softest players in the league.

Comment

Interestingly Zimmerman plunked Hamels as well. Hamels best watch his "old school" ways as eventually someone will pitch at his arm.
                      This was not a smart move in a contract year.

Comment

I think they only suspended him for 5 games because MLB didn't really care that Hamels plunked Harper. People have been hit by a pitch thousands of time without suspensions (even intentional ones) but I think he got the suspension because he admitted it was intentional. MLB doesn't want pitchers admitting that. If they did care about the beaning it would have been a 10 game suspension. Just my take.

And I do agree that the 5 game suspension for starting pitchers is a joke.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post

Minimum of two months? That's crazy talk.

Not at all unusual for a cocky rook to get plunked. If Hamels had thrown at his head, that would be a different matter.

Everybody knows (for the most part) when a pitcher hits someone on purpose. They never get suspended. Admitting that he did it is what got Hamels suspended, and properly so, but the penalty shouldn't be any more severe for plunking Harper than it should for plunking Konerko or anyone else.

Other than the Harper plunking, when has anyone called for a two month suspension for a pitcher hitting someone nowhere near the head?

Comment

Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post

2 months for intentionally hitting a batter? That's a lil harsh, no? I'd gather to say 99% of pitchers have intentionally hit a batter before.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                              he's old school.
                              Well that's idiotic but I give him credit for admitting it. But I'm also happy with the way Harper paid him back. Hamels looked embarrassed.

Comment

Working...
                              X