Hector Santiago: How Much FAAB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
    Well I generally never trust pitchers. My mantra when it comes to pitchers is, "it's just a matter of time." That is their arms are ticking time bombs. But what I meant about profit from messy situations is that you don't mine for saves only in one year (unless it's a redraft league). It's a process because you have to replace closers do to losing their role or escalating cost.
    I have more speculative arms in my auction keeper and dyno and routinely flip closers once I accumulate more than three than my re-drafts, but was a little more hesitant this year because of all the uncertainty. In the end I play the game a lot more about the current year than it seems most dynasty players do, so maybe that philosophy difference explains part of it. Currently Balfour is my 3rd closer in each league and while I think there is a very good chance he gets traded to a setup role come July I'm not selling him unless one of my MR's falls into a closing opportunity. I sell him and best case I'm looking at a middle of the pack finish in saves and decreasing my margin of error everywhere else if I want to win now.

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
      Right, but what about the beginning of the year? That's been my concern. So many hazy situations to start the year, more than usual. I think I'll find saves along the way, but just saw a lot of messes last month so I altered my tried and true strategy. Who do you have stashed right now? Just seeing who others have, I'm just looking at a lot of my competition's rosters and they're full of iffy RP's.

I paid for Motte, Betancourt, Walden, Putz, Hanrahan, League, Marmol, Santos, and Balfour across various leagues. In drafts I never took one until about 10 or 12 were off the board then took 3 in a row. In auctions I paid 2nd tier rates for all of them, i.e. top end - $25ish, I paid more like $15 each. Trade off was less $ spent on SP's. Instead of getting a quality 3rd or 4th arm like I usually do I have a lot of darts at guys like Minor, Sale, Baker, Nicasio, Samadrzjia, Milone, Alvarez, Floyd, McCarthy, Dempster, Billingsley, Harrison, Capuano, and Homer.
      Look at all the situations that are already open. I have both Lidge and H-Rod for a total of 8 bucks, and it looks like they're going to be in the closer role for a while yet. Speculate a few bucks on the Boston closer of your choice, pick up a Rauch or even a Bautista for a buck a piece and you probably have another 15 saves or more. I just will not pay double digits for a closer unless I get trapped price enforcing. If I end up in the middle of the pack in saves, I'm happy. And I usually end up higher than that.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Look at all the situations that are already open. I have both Lidge and H-Rod for a total of 8 bucks, and it looks like they're going to be in the closer role for a while yet. Speculate a few bucks on the Boston closer of your choice, pick up a Rauch or even a Bautista for a buck a piece and you probably have another 15 saves or more. I just will not pay double digits for a closer unless I get trapped price enforcing. If I end up in the middle of the pack in saves, I'm happy. And I usually end up higher than that.
        Who would you drop for Rauch or Bautista? Homer, Capuano, Reimold, Colby Rasmus, or McGehee? In a league with nothing on waivers these guys will be snatched right up and my depth is gone. One injury in my starting lineup and the next thing you know I'm starting Blake Beaven, Diaz, and Daric Barton types. That's why I keep coming back to committing so many roster spots on closers, you have to make sacrifices elsewhere. It's one thing if it's H Rod because he provides K's but guys like Rauch, Bautista, etc. are worthless unless they're closing. Instead of having both Rauch and Bautista I have Balfour and one of those guys. I can't imagine you'd feel better with Rauch and Bautista!

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
          Who would you drop for Rauch or Bautista? Homer, Capuano, Reimold, Colby Rasmus, or McGehee? In a league with nothing on waivers these guys will be snatched right up and my depth is gone. One injury in my starting lineup and the next thing you know I'm starting Blake Beaven, Diaz, and Daric Barton types. That's why I keep coming back to committing so many roster spots on closers, you have to make sacrifices elsewhere. It's one thing if it's H Rod because he provides K's but guys like Rauch, Bautista, etc. are worthless unless they're closing. Instead of having both Rauch and Bautista I have Balfour and one of those guys. I can't imagine you'd feel better with Rauch and Bautista!
          Frankly, I doubt that McGhee or Rasmius gives you much this year, that's just my opinion of course, but Rasmus looks like a mess out there, and McGhee, is well, McGhee.

Rauch has already given owners a save, and it looks like he's going to be given chances to get more than a few with FF's balky knee. And of course, you make those decisions based on other parts of your line-up, and it all depends on how you like to play it. I tend to have more pitchers than reserve hitters, simply because the pitchers can actually add something on a daily basis. While reserve hitters are essentially worth crap in my leagues. It's all individual preference in these situations...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            TB - I know Maddon is going to jerk us around, Peralta still #1 but Rodney could continue falling ass-backwards into saves. Everyone else is worth speculating only in a deep league
            Rodney is clearly the closer now, and just went 1-2-3 on Miggy/Prince/Peralta.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
            X