Hector Santiago: How Much FAAB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hector Santiago: How Much FAAB?

The only thing worse than figuring out how much to bid on Hector Santiago is the choice to anoint him closer in that pen. So how much are you bidding? I'm thinking of throwing down a large $32. FAAB has diminishing returns and even if he notches 10 saves before hes gone that seems worth the FAAB that may never get spent later. Thoughts?

Blew $35 on him.

Comment

I got him for $7 on Friday night. One other bid for $2, but that all changed Saturday. Now I have Thornton, Reed, and Santiago. So it'll probably wind up being Crain.
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
        Blew $35 on him.
        30+ should get him in most leagues. He was drafted as a reserve in my AL league, and someone beat me to him this am in my AFA league.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Went for $59 in my AL 4x4 to a team without a closer. Cover was $42.
          Last edited by schlesinj; 04-09-2012, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Santiago, Reed and Crain are all owned by the same owner. Their team name...Black Stockings.

Comment

I am so happy I paid for saves this year instead of mining for gold like I do most years.

This is a mess.

Comment

$61 and next highest $40 and bunch of $30's

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
                  I am so happy I paid for saves this year instead of mining for gold like I do most years.

This is a mess.
                  Whenever there is a mess, an astute owner can profit mightily.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                    Whenever there is a mess, an astute owner can profit mightily.
                    Who will be closing games in Tampa, Boston, Chicago, and Washington May 1st?

Do you trust Frank Frank? Broxton? Guerra? Myers? Capps? Perez? Santiago may be able to be moved down to this tier, but...do you trust him?

There's only so many roster spots to go around. I stashed Henry Rodriguez, Pestano, Kenley, Robertson, and Casher (Brach too in one league) because at the very least I expect big K #'s from each. I just don't think there are enough roster spots to take shots on any of the above situations. I'm sure I'll have one or two open up later this month or in May like I do most seasons and I'll make more speculative adds then, but do you really see a light at the end of the tunnel for any of these situations?

I'm just far less comfortable with the bottom 3rd of closing situations this year than I am most years.

Comment

Do you trust Frank Frank? Broxton? Guerra? Myers? Capps? Perez? Santiago may be able to be moved down to this tier, but...do you trust him?

There's only so many roster spots to go around. I stashed Henry Rodriguez, Pestano, Kenley, Robertson, and Casher (Brach too in one league) because at the very least I expect big K #'s from each. I just don't think there are enough roster spots to take shots on any of the above situations. I'm sure I'll have one or two open up later this month or in May like I do most seasons and I'll make more speculative adds then, but do you really see a light at the end of the tunnel for any of these situations?

I'm just far less comfortable with the bottom 3rd of closing situations this year than I am most years.
                      Every year there are surprise guys who end up with 10+ saves, some a lot more than that. I'm more than willing to speculate a few bucks at a time rather than pay for a "proven" closer, who oft-times is a gamble.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Every year there are surprise guys who end up with 10+ saves, some a lot more than that. I'm more than willing to speculate a few bucks at a time rather than pay for a "proven" closer, who oft-times is a gamble.
                        Right, but what about the beginning of the year? That's been my concern. So many hazy situations to start the year, more than usual. I think I'll find saves along the way, but just saw a lot of messes last month so I altered my tried and true strategy. Who do you have stashed right now? Just seeing who others have, I'm just looking at a lot of my competition's rosters and they're full of iffy RP's.

I paid for Motte, Betancourt, Walden, Putz, Hanrahan, League, Marmol, Santos, and Balfour across various leagues. In drafts I never took one until about 10 or 12 were off the board then took 3 in a row. In auctions I paid 2nd tier rates for all of them, i.e. top end - $25ish, I paid more like $15 each. Trade off was less $ spent on SP's. Instead of getting a quality 3rd or 4th arm like I usually do I have a lot of darts at guys like Minor, Sale, Baker, Nicasio, Samadrzjia, Milone, Alvarez, Floyd, McCarthy, Dempster, Billingsley, Harrison, Capuano, and Homer.

Comment

Well I generally never trust pitchers. My mantra when it comes to pitchers is, "it's just a matter of time." That is their arms are ticking time bombs. But what I meant about profit from messy situations is that you don't mine for saves only in one year (unless it's a redraft league). It's a process because you have to replace closers do to losing their role or escalating cost.

Comment

I agree, I'm in a couple of more shallow leagues and I'm waffling between guys like H-Rod, Hollins, Perkins, Rauch, Rodney, Lidge. I know I'll guess wrong.

CLE - I don't trust Perez but I don't really trust Pestano either (platoon split issues) so the whole mess is an avoid
                            MIN - I don't trust Capps but the Twins are awful and he has the job, it might take until July until he gets the 6 save chances needed to blow it. Perk gives you plus ratios if you can spare a roster spot, but might require a half-season wait.

LAD - I sort of trust Guerra. Jansen gives you plus plus ratios and is worth owning over a lot of these guys
                            HOU - I sort of trust Myers, and don't really want to speculate on backups. Wilton Lopez gives good ratios if your league is deep enough to justify keeping him around.

WSH - Seriously worried about Storen. I think Lidge could be a 25+ save guy if his arm holds up, H-Rod worthy of strong speculation
                            TB - I know Maddon is going to jerk us around, Peralta still #1 but Rodney could continue falling ass-backwards into saves. Everyone else is worth speculating only in a deep league

NYM - I trust Frank Frank's stuff well enough but not sure about his health. Maybe Rauch is worth a flier. I like Ramirez in a deep league as he is the only one from this motley crew who can actually pitch.

CHW - Santos came from nowhere last year. Santiago could easily do it this year. Thornton offers plus ratios. Reed is buried at this point. Not sure who else I'd speculate on here, probably Thornton since he's worth having in a lot of leagues even if he's not closing.

Comment

Does Franklin Morales have Amy shot at saves in Boston? Assuming Melancon and Aceves blow it.

Comment

Working...
                              X