Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all of the teams

Comment

Really like what Moyer & Behrens did. How did Prince only go for $30? That's shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
        Really like what Moyer & Behrens did. How did Prince only go for $30? That's shocking.
        And Bautista for $32??
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          And Bautista for $32??
          Are Prince and Bautista really worth more than $30 and $32, respectively, in a 12-team AL-only redraft league? If FMV for Pujols is only $40, don't those salaries sound about right?

My AL-only league is one I consider to have a strong S&S leaning, but Pujols should still go for no more than about $45.

Comment

Your team is a good one that reflects both your knowledge and your biases. You always have a few Rays.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              Are Prince and Bautista really worth more than $30 and $32, respectively, in a 12-team AL-only redraft league? If FMV for Pujols is only $40, don't those salaries sound about right?

My AL-only league is one I consider to have a strong S&S leaning, but Pujols should still go for no more than about $45.
              I think they're both worth around $35. I'm guessing they came up early while people were trying to get a feel for the market. I often think think the biggest bargains in an auction are in the first 10 nominations or so. You're not going to steal a guy but you can get a superstar solidly under value.

Comment

I like this team. It has a lot of guys with risk, but they have a big upside and the risk is not unreasonable.

As for expert leagues and players like Pujols, that should be instructive. Yes, someone will pay a lot more for Pujols in most of our leagues, but that doesn't mean he is worth it.

I hear people every year talk about how many owners won with X on their team. I've seen that in my 15-team mixed, too. The thing is, the winning teams with Pujols (and previously Crawford) often didn't start off with Pujols or Crawford. Somebody else overpaid for them, and wound up having to trade them away when their teams when to ****.
                And yet the 4 years that I had Pujols I finished 3rd, 1st, 2nd, and 1st. Not much of a curse, IMO.

If you don't overpay to get one of the big boppers, you may well be out of it by May. Like everything, it all depends on what you surround your studs with, but you have to have the strong foundation to begin with.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  And yet the 4 years that I had Pujols I finished 3rd, 1st, 2nd, and 1st. Not much of a curse, IMO.

If you don't overpay to get one of the big boppers, you may well be out of it by May. Like everything, it all depends on what you surround your studs with, but you have to have the strong foundation to begin with.
                  I'm curious, what was his salary for those four years? And was it a keeper league? A keeper league has a whole different dynamic. So long as you have the right keepers, you can spend lavishly on a stud or two to give you whatever help you need.

Comment

I'm curious, what was his salary for those four years? And was it a keeper league? A keeper league has a whole different dynamic. So long as you have the right keepers, you can spend lavishly on a stud or two to give you whatever help you need.
                    Yes, it was a keeper league, and his salary was 46 for 3 season, extended to 51 the final year.

Curious as to your reasons for saying that a keeper is different from a re-draft. Other than the obvious, meaning that you have to think about the future in a keeper, what would be the different dynamics that should depress prices?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      Yes, it was a keeper league, and his salary was 46 for 3 season, extended to 51 the final year.

Curious as to your reasons for saying that a keeper is different from a re-draft. Other than the obvious, meaning that you have to think about the future in a keeper, what would be the different dynamics that should depress prices?
                      Keeper leagues don't depress prices at the auction, they increase prices. That's why I said that if you have good keepers you can spend lavishly on studs.

$46 is not a bad price at all for Pujols in a keeper league. He'll go for a minimum of $46 in my keeper league this year, and more likely $56.

There are a couple of things which push prices upward. The most obvious is inflation caused by strong keeper lists. Then there are guys with strong keeper lists who can afford to overpay for the stats they need to round out their roster. Lastly, and most likely to push prices into the crazy range, there are sometimes guys with lousy keeper lists who decide to go into rebuilding mode. They will overpay to the moon for the super studs which they will need later in the season to trade for good keepers for the following year.

Comment

Keeper leagues don't depress prices at the auction, they increase prices. That's why I said that if you have good keepers you can spend lavishly on studs.

$46 is not a bad price at all for Pujols in a keeper league. He'll go for a minimum of $46 in my keeper league this year, and more likely $56.

There are a couple of things which push prices upward. The most obvious is inflation caused by strong keeper lists. Then there are guys with strong keeper lists who can afford to overpay for the stats they need to round out their roster. Lastly, and most likely to push prices into the crazy range, there are sometimes guys with lousy keeper lists who decide to go into rebuilding mode. They will overpay to the moon for the super studs which they will need later in the season to trade for good keepers for the following year.
                        Alright sir, good enough.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Jason, what are you looking for from Ogando? $10 seems a bit high for a MR.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
                            I would guess it was 1/ an gamble that ogando is going to replace feliz and/or 2/ auction timing, ie. too much money, last glimmer of hope type of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
                              He said he misread Lawr Michaels' intentions, so maybe it's just a case of getting caught price enforcing.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

So far in my AL only auction, Pujols went for 56, Fielder for 51, and Felix for 47...Oy!

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X