Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankee's sign Andy Pettitte

To a minor league deal.

Could he...Could they...Really be considering a comeback...

A year after retiring, Andy Pettitte is back in pinstripes. The Yankees announced that they signed the 39-year-old left-hander to a minor …

EDIT: Pettitte is quoted as saying "being in camp as an instructor has given him the itch to pitch"
    Last edited by wannabegriffey; 03-16-2012, 11:52 AM.

Didn't see that one coming. Wowzers. Hughes back to the pen?

Comment

Is Bernie Williams next?

Comment

Did I see that his deal is $2.5 million? Really? Didn't they just dump AJ because they had no spot for him?

So this just about guarantees that Pineda starts at AAA, and they roll with CC/Kuroda/Andy/Nova and one of Garcia/Hughes.

The only saving grace would be if Andy can't get ready by opening day and needs to start at AAA.

But I just don't think there's any way he can pitch effectively in the majors, even though the Yankees are going to do their best to force him into the rotation.

You know, they really don't have a good lefty reliever, it would be nice if they'd just have him do that, but I doubt they will.

Comment

April 20 NY Post headline:

ANDY PETTH-ETT-IC
          Yanks release 1990s hero

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I can't imagine that he'll be ready to pitch 7 innings in a game by opening day and RotoWorld seems to agree:

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman expects Andy Pettitte to report to camp early next week.
            Cashman also said that Pettitte "looked good" in a recent throwing session. The GM also revealed that he offered Pettitte a $12 million deal in December, but the lefty wasn't ready to commit to returning at that point. Pettitte has already done some throwing and appears to be in good shape, but it sounds like it will be at least until May when he's ready to join the rotation.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Good thing they gave up their best offensive prospect in decades for more pitching. I really think the 2014 austerity budget would have been a lot more attainable with a cheap bat in the middle of the lineup and the young pitchers they already had in the system.
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                Good thing they gave up their best offensive prospect in decades for more pitching. I really think the 2014 austerity budget would have been a lot more attainable with a cheap bat in the middle of the lineup and the young pitchers they already had in the system.
                I am not sure that's true. They can stick an Ibanez type at DH every year without spending much more than Montero would have cost them. The production won't be as good, but $5mil DH + Pineda should be better than $5mil SP + Montero.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Did I see that his deal is $2.5 million? Really? Didn't they just dump AJ because they had no spot for him?

So this just about guarantees that Pineda starts at AAA, and they roll with CC/Kuroda/Andy/Nova and one of Garcia/Hughes.

The only saving grace would be if Andy can't get ready by opening day and needs to start at AAA.

But I just don't think there's any way he can pitch effectively in the majors, even though the Yankees are going to do their best to force him into the rotation.

You know, they really don't have a good lefty reliever, it would be nice if they'd just have him do that, but I doubt they will.
                  Demoting Pineda would be the dumbest thing the Yankees could possibly do. At worst, he's their third best pitcher. What an asshat of an organization (if it comes to fruition).

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                    Demoting Pineda would be the dumbest thing the Yankees could possibly do. At worst, he's their third best pitcher. What an asshat of an organization (if it comes to fruition).
                    The reality of it is Pineda should not have come into camp overweight and throwing with less velocity. So now things change a little and they felt they needed some insurance because they could be looking at the reality of the future ain't what it used to be. I think it wouldn't have been the dumbest thing in the world to stick their heads in the sand and tell themselves there isn't a problem.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Cashman was on WFAN a little while ago and apparently Pettite called him around the time he was working on the Pineda/Kuroda deals telling him of his possible desire to make a comeback and if the Yankees would want to sign him. So it wasn't just the Spring training itch.

Comment

Jesus, people, put down the pipe. As has been said, there's no way Pettitte is ready before mid-May/June if at all. Pineda isn't going to AAA, Hughes isn't going to the pen. The Yankees can now freely trade Freddy on his $4million deal for whatever he brings back. If and when Pettitte is ready to pitch as a starter, we see how Hughes is doing; if he's pitching well, Pettitte is the swing man/6th starter/injury replacement. If Hughes is stinking it up, Pettitte comes in as #5. This is a risk free, no big deal move with plenty of upside; it also takes pressure off of Banuelos & Betances.
                        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I am not sure that's true. They can stick an Ibanez type at DH every year without spending much more than Montero would have cost them. The production won't be as good, but $5mil DH + Pineda should be better than $5mil SP + Montero.
                          I feel the Yankee lineup needs an infusion of young, hungry bats to offset the sense of complacency I get from the established vets, particularly in the playoffs. They need offense with something to prove. Montero was the most exciting bat in the Yankee lineup last September. If he proves he truly deserves the comparisons to Miggy Cabrera, that is a lot harder to come by near the league minimum than another starting pitcher, especially with the current makeup of the Yankees' farm system.
                          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Pettitte is such a self-righteous douchebag. I wish him nothing but the worst.
                            I feel like you are holding back, tell us how you really feel.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

According to Rotoworld, Cashman offered Pettitte a 12 million dollar deal back in December. Jeebus...12 million bucks? So much for trying to get below that luxury tax level...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X