No announcement yet.

Mixed LABR results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not an only league, but a mixed league. In an only league, I might agree as my goal is to get 1 1/2 closers and Lyon could be that half closer for cheap.

Here, I am looking to cash in a lottery ticket, not get 10 or 12 saves.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Remind me why Brandon Lyon is "horrible"?
      Personally, this assessment for me is still based off last year where I watched him essentially throw batting practice in the 9th inning. Not saying he can't regain his "glory years" and get back to respectability but at no time in AZ or Detroit was he more than just a guy and with the Astros looking to the future I just can't understand him getting much of a leash.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        So instead you're touting guys with no experience closing whose BB/9 numbers are even worse?

Lyon is a fine play in all NL leagues. Your selective editing makes it seem like I'm touting him as a Mo Rivera or something, which I'm obviously not.

And, yes, he's been good nearly every year since 2005 (obviously excluding last year when he only pitched 13 innings). I guess 2008 was an exception but he still landed 26 saves that year.

Don't get me wrong, and you really shouldn't unless I'm misstating my case terribly --- Brandon Lyon is nowhere elite or great or anything like that. But if you're in an only league and you're gambling on an Astro reliever, Lyon is clearly the best bet for a multitude of reasons. The first and probably most important is that he's got the inside track on saves. Plus, none of the other guys on that roster are, well, good. Carpenter strikes guys out but walks a ton and has precious little experience above single A. I can't fathom why he'd go five rounds before Lyon in a draft but I guess I don't understand drafts as well as auctions.
        2.5 walk rate in the minors last season
        2.8 walk rate in the minors the season before

Walks a ton? Does not compute

Also, http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=marmol001car fits your definition

Comment

BTW, AL & NL LABR drafts will be on the radio this weekend if you care to tune in and listen.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
            Are you still doing the Fantasy Roundtable podcast? Does that still exist?
            Yup! We're back on BlogTalkRadio too, so even have the chat room. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/fantasy...all-roundtable

Comment

I think the best thing Lyon has going for him would be the Astros would love to trade him if they could. Easiest way to raise the value of an overpaid washed-up reliever is let him get some saves.

Comment

Working...
              X