• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Hamilton relapse?

anyone hear more on this?

more http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2...lated-relapse/

Comment

Wonder if the Rangers are second guessing passing on Fielder now? Very sad if true (and by all accounts seems to be) as I also read that Kinsler tried to get him away from the bar. Some kind of troubled past and have to imagine this slip up just cost him a whole heck of a lot of money.

Comment

The seriousness of the "relapse" is hardly clear from those links. Not trying to say it is not serious but very little is known as of now.
        Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
          The seriousness of the "relapse" is hardly clear from those links. Not trying to say it is not serious but very little is known as of now.
          Josh had a "relapse with booze" 2 years ago during the off-season, one in which there were pictures floating around the internet.

As someone with a son who's a member of the "One Day at a Time" club this does not necessarily mean that Josh needs to be sequestered for 90 days at Betty Ford. It may mean that he needs to re-focus on the "steps" and day to day rountine that has caused him to remain sober for the better part of the last 5 years. Most recovering addicts do have the occassional "slip", as a lifetime of abstinence is a long time. As long as he picks himself up and can jump back on the wagon he will be fine.

Comment

Drinking men have been a part of baseball from the beginning. Who does not know the story of Christy Matheson in the 1926 World Series? When the Rangers anouce he will be going to rehab, this can be taken seriously. For the moment it is just a matter of a guy falling off the wagon.

BTW, the fact that we know about it says the situation is being watched closely.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur wood View Post
              Josh had a "relapse with booze" 2 years ago during the off-season, one in which there were pictures floating around the internet.

As someone with a son who's a member of the "One Day at a Time" club this does not necessarily mean that Josh needs to be sequestered for 90 days at Betty Ford. It may mean that he needs to re-focus on the "steps" and day to day rountine that has caused him to remain sober for the better part of the last 5 years. Most recovering addicts do have the occassional "slip", as a lifetime of abstinence is a long time. As long as he picks himself up and can jump back on the wagon he will be fine.
              It might be easier for him if stays out of bars.

I do not particularly like the word slip. It is too cute for the danger that is relapse. To a recovering person a "slip" is life threatening. While many come back from a relapse, many do not. I have also noticed that those who relapse seem to do it more than once and episodes seem to get closer together.

Wilbur, I am so glad to hear that your son is in the program. It is truly a blessing to those of us who need it. It saved my life. Dec.14th was my 26 year anniversary. I thank God that I never had a relapse.

Comment

After all his hard work to get to where he is, I hope he doesnt throw it all away again.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I am pulling for Josh Hamilton, and so is most everyone. Seems like a very likeable guy with crazy talent. And he is also an addict. Relapses are almost to be expected, it si how he handles it that is important. Assuming he decided he just wanted a couple of drinks at the bar, then caught himself and called team mate Ian Kinsler to get him out of there, seems there is some positive that Hamilton knew he needed help.

I would think this will seriously impact his long term contract negotiations. How can you offer the guy a monster superstar 8 or 9 yr contract for Fielder bucks? He is someone that you want to keep on short deals and keep him motivated.

Comment

Rangers slugger Josh Hamilton said he “had a moment of weakness” at a Dallas bar on Monday night because of a “personal reason with a family member” and apologized to his family, teammates, fans and the team in a news conference on Friday afternoon at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

“It was just wrong. That’s all it comes down to,” Hamilton said. “I needed to be at a different place. I needed to be responsible. I was not responsible. Those actions of mine have hurt a lot of people I’m very close to.”

He said no drug use was involved and that he’s passed two tests since Monday.

Rangers slugger Josh Hamilton said he “had a moment of weakness” at a Dallas bar on Monday night because of a “personal reason with a family member” and apologized to his family, teammates, fans and the team in a news conference on Friday afternoon at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

Comment

And he said he is hurt by some of the words spoken and written about him. Um, dude, you are in a spot light profession making millions of dollars so too fxxking bad.

Yeah, I'll get flamed for my lack of empathy but I just don't feel empathetic. And he talks about delaying contract talks!? I'm even more empathetic now

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                        And he said he is hurt by some of the words spoken and written about him. Um, dude, you are in a spot light profession making millions of dollars so too fxxking bad.

Yeah, I'll get flamed for my lack of empathy but I just don't feel empathetic. And he talks about delaying contract talks!? I'm even more empathetic now
                        Poor baby.....
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post

He may be paid to eat sh!t, but he does not have to like it.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

He is not just an alcoholic but a recovering drug addict so a relapse needs to be weighed a little different with Josh. Maybe it's just me but he is just a guy an organization cannot trust witha long term contract without some kind of large hometown discount (which he might well give them). Josh is 31 years old with consistent health problems on top of everything else. I root for Josh and truly wish him the best but I would not as a GM give him more than a 3 year deal at this point.

Comment

I ditto those sentiments Tymer. This is a guy with a serious addiction problem who was down and out, not just out of baseball. i think he will be ok, would not surprise me to see him top 3 in mvp voting next couple of years, but there is added risk here.

Comment

Working...
                              X