Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's a chance the Astros got a LOT better....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The key thing for the Astros to learn, though, is sample size.
    They'll get improved odds on draft picks and other acquisitions - but if the pieces don't happen to pan out immediately, well, that's how percentages work. It takes time to lock in the real edge, in some cases.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      and remember, if all else fails, candlesticks always make a nice gift.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

What? No demo pics?

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          What? No demo pics?

J
          Of...?
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I've read some posts by Mike/Kevin Seitzer, and have asked a couple questions. Each time, he always has answered them astutely and without condescension.

Comment

Mike, I see you still partaking in fantasy baseball threads, now that you are sort of doing it for real, will you still be playing fantasy baseball? Has it lost some of it's interest? Is it common in MLB front offices and is it accepted or discouraged? Can you discuss what your typical day is like, are you getting up and going to the Astros' offices everyday or do they just contact you for specific consultation? I hope this isn't putting you on the spot, but Paul DePodesta used to have a blog when he was with the Padres and he didn't seem to have any qualms about giving his readers some behind the scenes access.
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                Mike, I see you still partaking in fantasy baseball threads, now that you are sort of doing it for real, will you still be playing fantasy baseball? Has it lost some of it's interest? Is it common in MLB front offices and is it accepted or discouraged? Can you discuss what your typical day is like, are you getting up and going to the Astros' offices everyday or do they just contact you for specific consultation? I hope this isn't putting you on the spot, but Paul DePodesta used to have a blog when he was with the Padres and he didn't seem to have any qualms about giving his readers some behind the scenes access.
                I am not playing fantasy baseball this year. I haven't heard anything officially discouraging me from doing it, but I didn't want to have any conflict of interest, on either side. It wouldn't be fair for me to be trading for Brett Myers, for example, ahead of the news about him. And I wouldn't want to be thinking about how it would affect my fantasy team when I'm asked for input on something. Not that I couldn't theoretically be objective and fair, but I didn't want to have to worry about dealing with that.

Also, I'm just too freaking busy now to be playing fantasy baseball. If I spend my work day thinking about baseball players, I don't want to analyze baseball players in my time off, too. I have to do something to get away and disengage my brain rather than thinking about baseball analysis 24x7.

Right now I'm working from home in Austin. That will change when I move to Houston this summer. I'll go into the office then. But we wanted to stay in Austin so my kids could finish out the school year here.

I am working on a mix of long-term projects and short-term requests from the GM. Our analytical team is four people: Sig Mejdal, two database developers, and me. I'm helping the database folks get our database architecture up and going. I'm helping prepare for the amateur draft in June. I'm talking with various data providers about what data we want to purchase from them. I'm making plans about how we are going to use that data to build models to project future performance and value for players. I've talked some with the scouting and coaching staff already, but hopefully once I get to Houston I'll do a lot more of that, too, in order to meet their needs for information and incorporate their knowledge into our models.
                Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

btw, KS, you still in 19-24?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    btw, KS, you still in 19-24?
                    Yes, I'm flying in on the evening of the 18th and flying out on the afternoon of the 23rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Yes, I'm flying in on the evening of the 18th and flying out on the afternoon of the 23rd.
                      I'll see if I can get the 20th off for the home game vs the Cards. Othewise, an evening would be open as I'm only traveling to NYC Friday that week

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        I'll see if I can get the 20th off for the home game vs the Cards. Othewise, an evening would be open as I'm only traveling to NYC Friday that week
                        It would be great to see you. I have no idea yet what my schedule will be, and may not until I get there, but I will definitely make some time to get together. I assume I'll be there for the home games.

Comment

I am not playing fantasy baseball this year. I haven't heard anything officially discouraging me from doing it, but I didn't want to have any conflict of interest, on either side. It wouldn't be fair for me to be trading for Brett Myers, for example, ahead of the news about him. And I wouldn't want to be thinking about how it would affect my fantasy team when I'm asked for input on something. Not that I couldn't theoretically be objective and fair, but I didn't want to have to worry about dealing with that.

Also, I'm just too freaking busy now to be playing fantasy baseball. If I spend my work day thinking about baseball players, I don't want to analyze baseball players in my time off, too. I have to do something to get away and disengage my brain rather than thinking about baseball analysis 24x7.

Right now I'm working from home in Austin. That will change when I move to Houston this summer. I'll go into the office then. But we wanted to stay in Austin so my kids could finish out the school year here.

I am working on a mix of long-term projects and short-term requests from the GM. Our analytical team is four people: Sig Mejdal, two database developers, and me. I'm helping the database folks get our database architecture up and going. I'm helping prepare for the amateur draft in June. I'm talking with various data providers about what data we want to purchase from them. I'm making plans about how we are going to use that data to build models to project future performance and value for players. I've talked some with the scouting and coaching staff already, but hopefully once I get to Houston I'll do a lot more of that, too, in order to meet their needs for information and incorporate their knowledge into our models.
                          Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I was looking for. Interesting stuff.
                          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Under Mike's influence, Myers will be out and Rodney Quintero will be in as closer by mid-season.
                            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

It would be great to see you. I have no idea yet what my schedule will be, and may not until I get there, but I will definitely make some time to get together. I assume I'll be there for the home games.
                              I know McTaggert wants to meet you and chat with you when you're on site. I caught up with him when I visited workouts on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                                Under Mike's influence, Myers will be out and Rodney Quintero will be in as closer by mid-season.
                                I'm not stopping until Humberto Quintero is the closer.

Comment

Working...
                                X