Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Pena comes back home

Welcome back to the Rays, C-Pain!

C-Pain = the new Crime Dog? (late career version)

Comment

Do the Rays get green energy credits for the wind power Pena will generate?
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Do the Rays get green energy credits for the wind power Pena will generate?
        we don't care about strikeouts here (see Upton). He gets on base & knocks the power in and stays out of double plays. Kotchman's inability to drive runs in with singles last year really hurt

Comment

Doing a quick comparison of Pena to Kotchman on B-R.com, something really stood out to me, Kotchman's really nice 2011 oWar (3.1).

Comparing his oWar to Carlos Pena's 2009 season(when he hit 39 HR in 135 G):
          Kotchman 2011: 3.1 (146 G, 128 OPS+)
          Pena 2009: 2.8 (135 G, 133 OPS+)
          The B-R oWar uses "Factors developed by Sean Smith of BaseballProjection.com"

Now, given the games played and OPS+, you can see where a simple calculation may end up with Kotchman higher. But doesn't this indicate a flaw in the system? Kotchman's OPS was mostly singles, and combined with his lack of speed the resulting low runs and rbis (44/48) aren't exactly surprising. Pena in 2009 had 39 R, 61 RBIs just from his HRs.

Beyond the HRs, it happens that Kotchman was pretty bad with RiSP (and he's not exactly going to score a runner from first), while Pena was superb in 2009. I assume that data was removed from the equation, in order to make the comparison more objective. It may be fair to call production with RiSP luck when projecting a player's 2012 numbers, but is it fair to remove it when considering how well a player performed in a season?
          Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Kotchman was a terrible run producer because his lack of extra base hits simply couldn't move runners around enough.

Comment

Does anyone think the return to Tampa will result in a bit of a bounce back for Pena?

Comment

Nice! I can finally wear that jersey you picked up for a couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
                X