No announcement yet.

Pineda to the Yankees for Montero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was under the impression that they were trying to get under the luxury tax this year because the penalty going from 20% to 40% if you are over the cap for three consecutive years. I'm assuming signing Kuroda puts them over the cap (or where they already over it)? But that is a really good rotation now.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I think this is a home run for the Yanks. Ballsy deal, but I like it a lot for them.

Comment

I think the Yankees knew they just didn't have the pitching horses to win for 2012, so the two moves are smart.

They gamble that some of the young arms are ready to start 2013; if so, they can save money there and sign a veteran who hits like Montero probably will on the cheap....
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
          But get back Campos who is fairly highly regarded as well (#5 in Seattle system by Sickels)
          No doubt. Just depressed, two of my favorites are gone before we ever got a season out of them.

Comment

I fear that Pineda gets shelled at Yankee Stadium given his FB rate; coupled with my Montero man-crush this is something that will probably take a few days to look better for me.
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

From ScoutingReport.com

An Iron Mike style strike throwing machine from Venezuela, righthander Jose Campos looked awfully polished in his first taste of US ball last year, using his 95-98mph fastball with pinpoint control on the way to a 2.32 ERA and 0.971 WHIP in 82 innings of work with low-A Everett (Northwest League). He struck out a sizzling 85 batters in that time and walked only 13. Did we mention that he really, really throws a lot of strikes?...
              This makes me feel a little better.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Campos is actually a good pitching prospect, by the way. So Pineda may be the main haul for the Yankees, but he's certainly not the only valuable commodity in the deal for them. Campos has as good a chance as any at his age to be at least #3-type starter, with upside as a #2.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan from an M's perspective, but only because we had to give up Campos, too. I think Pineda should have been worth pretty close to Montero all by himself, and tossing in Campos, who is a very good pitching prospect in and of himself, seems like an overpay. Factor in Safeco's dimensions, and I feel like Montero will likely have some difficulty reaching his full potential there. Still, I love Montero, and the M's have jack and squat on the farm in terms of hitters. If they weren't going to sign Prince Fielder (and this pretty obviously puts them out of that race, at least at first glance), then trading pitching for hitting was the only way to make their woeful organizational offense better. And now I don't have to wonder "what if" after the Cliff Lee for Montero deal was quashed at the last minute

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    I was under the impression that they were trying to get under the luxury tax this year because the penalty going from 20% to 40% if you are over the cap for three consecutive years. I'm assuming signing Kuroda puts them over the cap (or where they already over it)? But that is a really good rotation now.
                    According to a link I got from Jay Jaffe, the years with the crazy cap are 2014-2016, so their real goal is to be under 190 for those years.

Comment

so should we assume the Yanks will now go out and get themselves a DH, although a platoon of Nunez & Andruw Jones wouldn't be bad (even if it is un-Yankee like). A Hideki Matsui return, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        so should we assume the Yanks will now go out and get themselves a DH, although a platoon of Nunez & Andruw Jones wouldn't be bad (even if it is un-Yankee like). A Hideki Matsui return, perhaps?
                        Damon, Pena, Matsui...any lefty will do them fine

Comment

I'm crushed to see Montero go, but Pineda is a pretty good young arm, so I guess it's a fair enough deal. I don't know anything about Campos other than what I've read in the last half hour, but he sounds like a decent supplementary piece of the deal for the Yankees. The one thing I don't understand is, the Yankees have several good young arms on the way in Banuelos and Betances. They don't really have any other impact bats in the system that are close to being major league ready. It makes me wonder if Cashman has something else lined up to deal away a package including one of the Killer Bs for another young bat or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            Damon, Pena, Matsui...any lefty will do them fine
                            Pena is the move for me. Sits against lefties, with Nunez playing either 3B/SS and A-Rod/Jeter DH-ing. And gives Tex an occasional day off.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Don't sleep on Noesi, though. The kid has been nothing short of outstanding at every stop so far in his minor league career. He's a big injury risk but has great, great stuff. I'm not sure how exactly he compares to Campos but he's no slouch.
                              This, I agree with. He is going to be awesome in Safeco. Does he go right into the M's rotation? He only threw about 80 innings last year, FIP and xFIP right around 4. Do the Ms really only have Felix, Vargas and a bunch of maybes? (Beaven, Iwakuma, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                                This, I agree with. He is going to be awesome in Safeco. Does he go right into the M's rotation? He only threw about 80 innings last year, FIP and xFIP right around 4. Do the Ms really only have Felix, Vargas and a bunch of maybes? (Beaven, Iwakuma, etc)
                                James Paxton perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X