Larkin Elected to HOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larkin Elected to HOF

86% of the vote. Morris comes up short with 67%, Bagwell finishes 3rd with 56%.

Comment

And you know there's gonna be a push for him like there was for Blyleven.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I know it's not cool these days but I love Morris and would put him in just for his attitude and his top pitcher status in early fantasy leagues.

Larkin totally deserves this and I'm glad to see him get in relatively easily. I want Bagwell in there too, but I know most of you will fight me on that.

Comment

interesting that Juan Gonzalez is now gone from the ballot. I thought he'd manage more than 4% - 5%. Plus the complete lack of support for Bernie Williams is a surprise.

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          It's unbelievable the support that Morris gets. The guy was barely above average.
          Well, this year was his chance. The next few years bring some heavy hitters onto the ballot:

Craig Biggio
          Barry Bonds
          Roger Clemens
          Steve Finley
          Julio Franco
          Kenny Lofton
          Mike Piazza
          Curt Schilling
          Sammy Sosa
          David Wells

2014 - last year for Morris
          Greg Maddux
          Frank Thomas
          Tom Glavine
          Jeff Kent
          Mike Mussina
          Moises Alou
          Luis Gonzalez

Randy Johnson
          Pedro Martinez
          John Smoltz
          Gary Sheffield
          Nomar Garciaparra
          Carlos Delgado

Ken Griffey Jr.
          Trevor Hoffman
          Andy Pettitte
          Billy Wagner
          Jim Edmonds

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            And you know there's gonna be a push for him like there was for Blyleven.
            he's on the same track. Blyleven had 63% of the vote on his 13th try

Comment

Tim Raines seems woefully under appreciated.

Morris' mustache was far above average.

Comment

The 2013 class would have been insane had it not been for all the steroid revelations. Now the only sure-thing first-balloter from that list is Piazza.

Comment

I guess that being the best leadoff hitter in the history of the NL isn't enough to get Tim Raines elected.

Comment

Although Tim Salmon & Vinny Castilla were clearly not HOF worthy, they were perennial All Stars and so I can understand a few votes going for them. But four votes for Bill Mueller??? Two for Brad Radke?

Comment

Radke-Mueller type votes tend to come from beat writers who had a good rapport with the guy during his career.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                        I guess that being the best leadoff hitter in the history of the NL isn't enough to get Tim Raines elected.
                        Obviously a case can be made for him, but I can understand why many aren't voting for him. Frankly, he was HOF-caliber for just five years or so ('82-'87), before settling into becoming a solid if unspectacular player. Plus, there's the whole coke scandal spectre over his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          Radke-Mueller type votes tend to come from beat writers who had a good rapport with the guy during his career.
                          couldn't they send them a Christmas card instead? Votes like that water down the importance of the HOF vote process. If you're a sportswriter and are throwing a few votes to your buddies, that's kind of ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Obviously a case can be made for him, but I can understand why many aren't voting for him. Frankly, he was HOF-caliber for just five years or so ('82-'87), before settling into becoming a solid if unspectacular player. Plus, there's the whole coke scandal spectre over his head.
                            In 1981, his rookie year, he led the league with 71 SBs in just 88 games, to go along with a .391 OBA. His career OBA was .385 and he never finished below .350 from 1981-98. 808 SBs, 5th all-time. Raines is a slam dunk IMO.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              You're forgetting about strike-shortened 1981, when he was on a pace to challenge Henderson's record for stolen bases in a season. He had a mediocre year in '88 but bounced back and remained very productive through 1993. His stolen base success rate is out of this world. We love Tony Gwynn here in San Diego but I have a hard time saying that Gwynn was a significantly better or more valuable player, all things considered.

Comment

Working...
                              X