Larkin Elected to HOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fvckin' HOF Voters. :mad:

In one of the most disgraceful turns of events in the history of American professional sport, former Phillies pitcher Terry Mulholland was denied rightful entry into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, collecting zero votes from the frauds in the Baseball Writers Association of America. This year's sole inductee is Reds shortstop Barry Larkin, who must have bribed a million writers.

Mulholland was the author of one of the greatest moments in Phillies history, a 1990 no-hitter against the San Francisco Giants. He was just a Charlie Hayes error away from a Perfect Game. I bet Hayes feels badly now, knowing that he probably cost his teammate a chance at glory in Cooperstown.

Mulholland was also a member of the superbly adequate 1993 National League Champion Phillies starting rotation, and possessed probably the greatest pick-off move in the history of the Universe. Try stealing on him, Mr. Larkin. What's that? You can't? HA!
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

LOL. If Mueller and Radke could garner sympathy votes, why couldn't Mulholland?
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Meh, they were essentially the same pitcher, with a few minor differences. Morris was the quintessential big game pitcher, winning 4 WS games including the memorable 10 inning shutout in '91. I don't think that Moose won a WS game, or a title...and that makes a difference. Neither should be a shoo-in, and I wouldn't be surprised if neither gets in.
        No, it doesn't. Both are team accomplishments, not individual ones. This vote is on the individual

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Neither Mussina nor Morris deserve induction. As is repeated ad nauseum around these parts, it ain't the Hall of Pretty Good.
          Well, Mussina has a higher WAR than Pedro, Glavine, and Drysdale........

Comment

No love for Curt Schilling in 2013?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              What is it good for?

Hang around long enough putting up pretty good numbers and that's what happens.
              He did more in 18 than Schilling did in 20 and Glavine did in 22 seasons. I think Schilling is a shoo-in and the establishment will automatically make Glavine a 1st ballot on the 300 wins.

12 seasons of WAR 4.0 or greater isn't just pretty good. He has 7 over 5.0

Comment

So is Schilling your cutoff line?

Moose has more 4+ years than Pedro but less 5+ years.

It is tough to make an argument that Mussina was not one of the 10 best starting pitchers of the last 20 years. Top 10's belong in, IMO

Comment

"Morris was the quintessential big game pitcher, winning 4 WS games including the memorable 10 inning shutout in '91. I don't think that Moose won a WS game, or a title...and that makes a difference."

career postseason stats:

Mussina 7-8, 3.42 ERA in 140 IP, 13 quality starts in 21 tries

Morris 7-4, 3.80 ERA in 92 IP, 7 quality starts in 13 tries

Mussina only got to pitch in 3 WS games, allowing 5 ER in 18 IP
                  he went 1-1, including allowing 2 ER in 8 IP in Game 5 in 2001, and 1 ER in 7 IP in Game 3 in 2003

you don't want to see the run support numbers, or explosion of the "pitched to the score" myth.
                  It isn't pretty....
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    No, it doesn't. Both are team accomplishments, not individual ones. This vote is on the individual
                    You go ahead and tell the voters that they can't use those accomplishments then, see how far you get with that argument. And wins are still individual accomplishments, last time I checked...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

"wins are still individual accomplishments, last time I checked..."

not since the 1910s or so.

If a starting pitcher allows 1 run in 8 IP and leaves with a 4-1 lead, and the bullpen blows the lead, are you really going to ding the starting pitcher for his awful relief?

Morris needed to get in before computers could easily refute the now-proven-false "pitched to the score" claims.
                      It's easy now to chart all the actual data, game by game.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        "wins are still individual accomplishments, last time I checked..."

not since the 1910s or so.

If a starting pitcher allows 1 run in 8 IP and leaves with a 4-1 lead, and the bullpen blows the lead, are you really going to ding the starting pitcher for his awful relief?

Morris needed to get in before computers could easily refute the now-proven-false "pitched to the score" claims.
                        It's easy now to chart all the actual data, game by game.
                        Hmmmm, you'd better tell your paper that they've been publishing incorrect Box scores, because every time I read one, they have a winning and losing pitcher, and their won-lost records...

So are you trying to say that Mussina is at a different level than Morris? Frankly, I don't care, neither one belongs in the hall, IMO, but I'm curious as to what you're trying to get at.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          So no Bonds, Clemens, Sosa? As big an a-hole as Bonds & Clemens are, I have a hard time believing they weren't HOF caliber without roids.

As far as Sosa -- do you think the general consensus is he was a roider too? PLus he had that whole corked bat thing. I get the feeling he won't get too much support.

But if that's the case -- then how can Piazza & Biggio get votes? Piazza was never implicated, but there were heavy rumors that he was a user. And Biggio has the whole Bagwell connection (and neither were implicated either, but many think Bags was a user too).
                          Bonds, Clemens and Sosa are all HOF worthy, but I don't think they'll be elected in by 2017, if ever. Rumors are rumors. Congressional inquiries are an entirely different matter. And despite Bagwell's connection, I don't think Biggio was a juicer by any stretch. Honestly, I think Bagwell wasn't because his career ended so relatively abruptly due to injury - if he had been, he would have healed better and quicker and played a bit longer.
                          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

"So are you trying to say that Mussina is at a different level than Morris? Frankly, I don't care, neither one belongs in the hall, IMO, but I'm curious as to what you're trying to get at."

Well, Mussina was the better postseason pitcher overall, but of course Morris' Game 7 was one for the ages. Let's call it even.

The regular season comparisons - Jack is not happy with that previous call....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              You go ahead and tell the voters that they can't use those accomplishments then, see how far you get with that argument. And wins are still individual accomplishments, last time I checked...
                              They're voting for Jack Morris to prove a point to the SaberNerds, I get that.

As far as wins being an individual accomplishment, that's like saying quarterback completions are an individual accomplishment.

Let's use Game Score from Bill James

Start with 50 points.
                              Add 1 point for each out recorded, so 3 points for every complete inning pitched.
                              Add 2 points for each inning completed after the 4th.
                              Add 1 point for each strikeout.
                              Subtract 2 points for each hit allowed.
                              Subtract 4 points for each earned run allowed.
                              Subtract 2 points for each unearned run allowed.
                              Subtract 1 point for each walk.
                              Since 1991, 623 times, a pitcher has had a Game Score of at least 70 and taken a loss.

In that same time frame, 1924 pitchers had a Game Score of less than 40 and took a win.

Comment

A friend of mine subscribes to Joe Sheehan's newsletter and forwarded his rant on the BBWAA, good stuff. Unfortunately it's subscription-based but if you get a chance to read it...he basically says the voting process has become all about the voters trying to validate their own erroneous story lines than honoring the best players.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X