Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quentin to the Padres

Per MLBTR:
    The Padres have acquired Carlos Quentin from the White Sox for pitching prospects Simon Castro and Pedro Hernandez, the teams announced. It's the second time Padres GM Josh Byrnes and White Sox GM Kenny Williams have gotten together for a trade involving Quentin; Byrnes was the Diamondbacks GM when the outfielder was traded from Arizona to the ChiSox in 2007.
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Odd. Seems like a horrible haul for a pretty decent corner outfielder.

Chicago baseball is going to be some kind of awful in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post

I don't know...they've been trying to dump Quentin for months now with no takers, I think that they settled for dumping the money and getting what they could. Now Quentin has almost no value in a mixed league, IMO.

On the other hand, it opens up a spot for Viciedo, so that should work out OK.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

An outfield of Venable, Maybin, and Quentin isn't bad for San Diego, but now they have no open LF spot in which to try to put one of their excess 1Bs. Guzman, Blanks, Rizzo, Alonso--at least one and perhaps two have to go now.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Amen brother...

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            An outfield of Venable, Maybin, and Quentin isn't bad for San Diego, but now they have no open LF spot in which to try to put one of their excess 1Bs. Guzman, Blanks, Rizzo, Alonso--at least one and perhaps two have to go now.
            PLEASE get Rizzo out of Petco. I am begging.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Because of Petco or something else?

The guy's average line from 2008-2011 was .257/.352/.505. He'll still have value, although it will obviously be suppressed, in San Diego. If he can stay healthy for five minutes, that is.
              Basically, Petco, injuries, and mediocre BA. I just don't see any reason for a club like the Pads to go after a player like him. He might be a nice piece for a contender, but for a club that should really be in a rebuilding mode, he's surplus they simply don't need. And as DQ pointed out, he's now blocking players that could actually help in the long run.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                Venable's the odd man out as of today: Quentin in RF, Blanks in LF, Maybin in CF.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Basically, Petco, injuries, and mediocre BA. I just don't see any reason for a club like the Pads to go after a player like him. He might be a nice piece for a contender, but for a club that should really be in a rebuilding mode, he's surplus they simply don't need. And as DQ pointed out, he's now blocking players that could actually help in the long run.
                  I like it for the Pads. It's a gamble. They're buying low on Quentin. If he stays healthy for half a year and puts up decent numbers, they can trade him for more than they're giving up right now. It also gives a veteran presence for the outfield and, if they put Quentin behind Maybin in the lineup, it'll give pitchers less incentive to pitch around Maybin.
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Not even sure you can call it a gamble. It would be one thing if they had to give up Wieland or Erlin but those prospects don't even crack their top 10 list.

Comment

Not even sure you can call it a gamble. It would be one thing if they had to give up Wieland or Erlin but those prospects don't even crack their top 10 list.
                      Unless you have the nuts, every hand is a gamble. This is a fairly big one.

It displays poor thinking habits. As several have pointed out, he blocks young players with promise. The team would be better served, in most cases, by buying him a condo and stocking it with booze, women and anything that might keep him out of the lineup. To pay off, he has to stay healthy, look good in a bad park, and bring back more in trade than they gave up. Any wins he manages in the meantime are worth zip or less.

J
                      Last edited by onejayhawk; 12-31-2011, 04:59 PM.
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        Unless you have the nuts, every hand is a gamble. This is a fairly big one.

It displays poor thinking habits. As several have pointed out, he blocks young players with promise. The team would be better served, in most cases, by buying him a condo and stocking it with booze, women and anything that might keep him out of the lineup. To pay off, he has to stay healthy, look good in a bad park, and bring back more in trade than they gave up. Any wins he manages in the meantime are worth zip or less.

J
                        I agree with all of that except the last line. Those wins do matter to many fans and subsequently to attendance numbers. The Padres have been horrible recently, and not all fans are of the mindset that either a team needs to be a legit contender or who cares how bad they are. A lot of fans want to see their team win once in awhile, and some even delude themselves into thinking "who knows?" if their team manages an early season stretch above .500. Quentin clearly improves the Padres team short term and while I agree it is not the smart long term play, I can see why they'd want to throw a bone (a small one given what they gave) to those fans who want to see some more wins, even wins that don't lead to the playoffs. As a fan, rooting for you team to really such for a higher draft pick stops being fun after a few years.

Comment

That sound you hear is his fantasy value going down the drain.

Comment

C Quentin shipped off to the park where flyballs go to die. Still his cost out of town was barely a bag of peanuts, 2 very low end prospects who are no more than org depth. For the pale sox, it was just addition by subtraction, room for an up and comer and less payroll, strict dump.

For Pads, well they add some pop in their lineup, better short term product on field for 2012, maybe add a couple wins and help sell some seats and merch.

Comment

Not that it has shown recently but I though Castro was once a prospect.

Comment

Working...
                              X