No announcement yet.

Quentin to the Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BP has Simon Castro as the Pads 20th ranked prospect. On the Pads. To say he has gone backward is mild.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
      BP has Simon Castro as the Pads 20th ranked prospect. On the Pads. To say he has gone backward is mild.
      From my understanding the Padres have a pretty good minor league system now (after some decent hauls with trades of A Gon and M Adams etc.

That said, Castro has had some problems the last year or so, but a few years back he was K around 10 guys.

Comment

Just a year ago he was padres' 3rd ranked prospect by BA. One bad year creates a 17-slot slide, or did he injure his shoulder or something?

Comment

I dont know anything about Simon Castro except what I just saw when I pulled up his PCL stats from last year, plus what my pet fav site BP says. Over a 10 (ten) era in 6 starts. I am curious now though, will see what the new fangled internetzz has to say.

Comment

S Castro, the stronger of the 2 prospects the Pads gave up for the 30+ hr power of C Quentin, seems to be ranked higher by BP (at 20th) than other sites like minorleagueball , which did not even have him ranked in their top 25 spots for the Padres.

Cool site btw.

Comment

Not only does Quentin's value dive, but I suspect this hurts Konerko almost as much. Is there anyone hitting behind Konerko who doesn't suck now? In a 5x5 league, Konerko might just score only 60 runs or so.

I am surprised the White Sox couldn't do better than this, though Castro looks like he could be s serviceable RP.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I think the Pads got the better end here. If C Quentin is hitting the stuffing out of the ball they can flip him at deadline for more than the handful of Tang and lima beans that he cost.

If he crumbles like a wet sock due to injury or park effects, the Pads still come out ahead as it gave the impression they were trying to put a decent product on field,"hey we got a bonafide cleanup bat but it just did not work out".

Comment

C Quentin shipped off to the park where flyballs go to die. Still his cost out of town was barely a bag of peanuts, 2 very low end prospects who are no more than org depth. For the pale sox, it was just addition by subtraction, room for an up and comer and less payroll, strict dump.

For Pads, well they add some pop in their lineup, better short term product on field for 2012, maybe add a couple wins and help sell some seats and merch.
                  PETCO actually plays neutral for RHB homers and Quentin pulls almost all of his jacks. Granted, he is leaving a plus park, but he is not going to as negative a park as most are suggesting.
                  Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

It is kind of silly for so many people to judge the prospects the White Sox got back purely on their rankings by various sites. Especially so when you consider that the Padres have a very deep collection of good prospects. We should all know better. Do you pay $35 for Luke Hochevar because he's the ace of the Royals?

Comment

Who cares---the goal was to drop the salary. Would they be better off getting a #5 prospect, but being on the hook fir a few Mil? Those are the specifics WE can't value.
                      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

I always thought of Quentin as a guy like Dunn - park factors don't apply because his distance is big enough to hit it out of any park.

Looking at his HR chart from last season it does look like he had a lot in the 350' range, but I think he would have been OK in Petco.

18 of his 24 HRs are listed as being out of 28, 29 or 30 parks.

Comment

Working...
                        X