No announcement yet.

Angels get Pujols!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got $59 more dollars to spend in my NL only auction.

With my keepers in my AL, I will not be able to bid him up to that.

Comment

Comment

I think what some people miss is that Pujols is worth MORE to the Angels than to the Cardinals.
        ----Angels are negotiating a new TV deal-Pujols will net them a larger contract
        ----In the competition for the LA market, with the Dodgers in the mess they are, it's time to strike
        ----Even the marketing of jerseys, T-shirts etc, will be a big initial boost (I believe it was mandatory that everyone in StL have a Pujols jersey, so the market was already saturated)
        ----StL just won the WS, LA missed the playoffs, Moreno NEEDED to make a BIG move.
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
          I think what some people miss is that Pujols is worth MORE to the Angels than to the Cardinals.
          ----Angels are negotiating a new TV deal-Pujols will net them a larger contract
          ----In the competition for the LA market, with the Dodgers in the mess they are, it's time to strike
          ----Even the marketing of jerseys, T-shirts etc, will be a big initial boost (I believe it was mandatory that everyone in StL have a Pujols jersey, so the market was already saturated)
          ----StL just won the WS, LA missed the playoffs, Moreno NEEDED to make a BIG move.
          And that is what new Cubs ownership is forgetting.

Comment

Sooo...park experts, how does LAA's home park play relative to StL?
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Sooo...park experts, how does LAA's home park play relative to StL?
              LA is fairly neutral. St. Louis has generally played as a pitcher's park. That's coming from memory, though, and I haven't seen the most recent data.

Comment

Best Pujols quote of the day, from Brian Cashman (via RiverAveBlues.com)

"“[Pujols] is a special player. I don’t know him personally, but I see what he does with that bat. It’s Montero-like.”

:mistert:
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                  Best Pujols quote of the day, from Brian Cashman (via RiverAveBlues.com)

"“[Pujols] is a special player. I don’t know him personally, but I see what he does with that bat. It’s Montero-like.”

:mistert:
                  Please, for the love of God, tell me that this is just a joke. I don't see the requisite smiley, so I'm in a bit of doubt...
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

I hope Cashman was saying that tongue in cheek. That is a mega slap against the strongest hitting resume in the game today. I like Montero, but he has maybe a 1% chance to ever equal Pujols track record, never mind comping the 2 of them today.

Comment

Jesus, lighten up people. The guy was kidding.
                      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Jesus, lighten up people. The guy was kidding.
                        Then maybe you should indicate that...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Then maybe you should indicate that...
                          Yeah, the dancing Mr. T clearly didn't

Comment

I would certainly be willing to buy that Pujols and his agent decided something was, ahem, fishy with the Marlins.

The Reyes deal is heavily backloaded:

Cots: 12:$10M, 13:$10M, 14:$16M, 15:$22M, 16:$22M, 17:$22M, 18:$22M club option ($4M buyout)

Plus they would not give out a no-trade clause.

To me, that screams "we're planning to have a fire sale in 2015."
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I suspect that the Marlins offer to Pujols was backloaded and had him not receiving all of his salary till he was 90 years old. I don't see a problem with the Marlins covering themselves by not giving out no-trade clauses and I do not concede that California is a better place to live than South Florida. Pujols made what he felt was the right decision for himself and his family. I don't know what factors he considered and I don't know if he decided correctly or incorrectly based on what he felt was important. As a Marlin fan I would have liked to have seen him as a Marlin.He certainly seemed like a better fit to the teams needs than Reyes, but the team has improved and might improve more. Ownership seems willing to spend this year and there are further opportunities to do so. Darvish will soon be out there as well as the Cuban outfielder. The team has needs. It has been suggested on this board, by a fellow Marlin fan, that the signing of Bell signifies that the Marlins are trying to win with pitching and defense. They might be but the team has a ways to go before it is a great defensive team (they will have a second baseman in center, a ss at 3rd-possibly, and a 1st baseman in left) and their pitching has never lived up to what they would like it to be. Pujols would help any team but they might be better off spreading their money around. With all of their faults the Marlins have won two world series in their short history. I feel that the team needs to get one more starter ( perhaps trade a 1st baseman for Wade Davis) and an outfielder who can hit and knows how to play the position. They have some talent on the team and could surprise people.

Comment

Yeah, the dancing Mr. T clearly didn't
                                For someone in the business of communicating ideas, you occasionally lack what detectives call a clue. If two different individuals, independent of each other, come to the same, wrong, conclusion, you haven't done a very good job.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X