Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not typically a Verducci fan, but I liked this article. Read it primarily due to Chris Bosio being discussed:

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• On the lighter side .... a birthday to remember for Leonys Martin:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/m...l-celebration/
      "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
      "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
      WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
      PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

• if you ever wondered what being an MLB beat writer was like, and/or why Adam Rubin got out of the business:

https://30letter.wordpress.com/
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• It's a video, not a read, but it is excellent.

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Silly headline for the day -- Motte's Daughter Shaves Beard

Comment

• Pat Neshek -- Hall of Fame baseball card collector:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-jou...35550?mod=e2fb

Comment

• Comment

• Excellent article on the "launch angle revolution":

With increasingly sophisticated data available, major league hitters are focusing on getting the ball in the air.

Comment

• Excellent video about a 17 y/o female pitcher that struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig back to back:

If you happen to like our videos and have a few bucks to spare to support our efforts, check out our Patreon page where we've got a variety of perks for our ...

I never knew that Commissioner Landis, in addition to barring blacks from baseball, also banned women. Also interesting what Ruth had to say about women playing baseball. Also, the info about Dazzy Vance being arguable the greatest strikeout pitcher of all time was interesting.

There are links to 2 other very interesting baseball-related videos in this video's description, 1 about Josh Gibson and the other about Castro's baseball "career" (Fidel, not Starlin).

This youtuber daily makes very good videos generally about many different topics. I am subscribed to him.

Comment

• Video describing the important role baseball played in the Star Spangled Banner becoming the national anthem:

If you happen to like our videos and have a few bucks to spare to support our efforts, check out our Patreon page where we've got a variety of perks for our ...

I never knew this before, even having read a book about the 1918 season, the world events taking place at that time and how they related to baseball and the WS that year.

This guy really must like baseball because quite a few of his videos relate to baseball.

Comment

• related - this is my wife signing the 1886 unofficial national anthem before the championship game of my baseball league.

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          related - this is my wife signing the 1886 unofficial national anthem before the championship game of my baseball league.

Interesting. That song is associated now w the US Navy. Never knew it was called "Columbia, Gem of the Ocean". I assume Columbia is the name of a famous ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            related - this is my wife signing the 1886 unofficial national anthem before the championship game of my baseball league.

I thought by your post that your wife would be signing while someone else was singing. So this took a much different turn as to what I thought I was going to see.

Thank you for posting it. I really enjoyed it. Loved the history lesson, love the singing more. That Girl CAN SING!

Comment

• Delightful article about the only Russian in US pro baseball:

Phillies pitcher Anton Kuznetsov hopes to become the first Russian to reach the majors.

Comment

Working...
                              X