World Series: Rangers vs. Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    And yet if the Rangers win Game 7, Freese is frozen out from history.
    Not necessarily. What's the most memorable moment from the 1975 World Series? Fisk's GW HR in Game 6. Even though the Reds won Game 7.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Nolan Ryan wacky stats

MOST STRIKEOUTS
      1. Nolan Ryan..........5714
      2. Randy Johnson.....4875
      3. Roger Clemens......4672

MOST WALKS
      1. Nolan Ryan...........2795
      2. Steve Carlton.......1833
      3. Phil Niekro............1809
      Is that why his win/loss was not better than it was? (Other than playing for teams who weren't that good, I mean.) Because his HR/9 was outstanding. But wow, that's a lot of walks. Fielders must have secretly hated it when he pitched, since he either struck out or walked so many players.

And we know that throwing ground balls is more democratic.

Comment

The ball that Cruz missed that would have been the clinching out looked very catchable to me. I am not surprised he left with an injury soon after. I think 75% of major league RFs get to that ball relatively easily.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

So what for tonight? Is the pitching matchup the biggest factor? What about the psychological letdown for the Rangers last night? Will it carry over?

The Cardinals don't seem to have nearly the offensive talent (outside of Pujols), but they're playing at home. Plus, here's an interesting stat: of the last thirteen (13) MLB teams that won a postseason Game 6 at home to force a Game 7, twelve (12) went on to win that Game 7.

Comment

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              The ball that Cruz missed that would have been the clinching out looked very catchable to me. I am not surprised he left with an injury soon after. I think 75% of major league RFs get to that ball relatively easily.
              When Freese hit the ball, I thought the game was over. It was hit hard. But, when they showed Cruz, he wasn't moving with much urgency and I assumed he would make the play fairly easily. Then, he leaped 3 feet from the wall and missed the ball by 2 feet. Not much excuse for missing that ball though...playing deep to begin with, he was only a couple of steps from the track. After seeing his face on the replay, it seemed like he wasn't sure where to be when the ball was hit. Any line drive like that is hard to judge, but I still think he should have made the play. Tough way to lose a game.

Let's go Rangers!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by no driver View Post
                I tuned into last night's game in the 8th inning and boy was that a fun end to the game. One thing is for sure, five of us who voted in the poll are going to be right.
                I got home after hockey and watched from the 9th on. I called Rangers in 7 and hope they can pull it off. Can't imagine going to the WS two consecutive years and losing them both. How do you go forward from that?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  Can't imagine going to the WS two consecutive years and losing them both. How do you go forward from that?
                  see: Buffalo Bills, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I got home after hockey and watched from the 9th on. I called Rangers in 7 and hope they can pull it off. Can't imagine going to the WS two consecutive years and losing them both. How do you go forward from that?
                    I'm going to be glib and say..big deal you move on to next year and start all over. I've lost plenty of league championships be it golf, bowling, deck hockey, baseball, softball and i recovered and i bet those losses were as important to me as they are to the professionals.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

well, they lost in 5 last year, so even if they lose tonight, they've progressed!
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        see: Buffalo Bills, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994.
                        Wilson, Oliver, Uehara notable FAs so the same team gets a crack at it next year regardless.

Comment

Interesting question: Two-time (and three-time) World Series losers, back-to-back(-to-back):

The Braves lost the World Series in 1991 (Twins in 7) and 1992 (Blue Jays in 6), then won it all in 1995 (over Indians in 6).

The Dodgers lost the World Series in 1977 (Yankees in 6) and 1978 (ditto), then won it all in 1981 (over Yankees, again, in 6, again).

The Yankees lost the World Series in 1963 (Dodgers in 4) and 1964 (Cardinals in 7), then didn't win it all until 1977.

The (Brooklyn) Dodgers lost the World Series in 1952 (Yankees in 7) and 1953 (Yankees in 6), then won it all in 1955 (over Yankees in 7).

The (New York) Giants lost the World Series in 1936 (Yankees in 6) and 1937 (Yankees in 5), then didn't win it all until 1954.

The (New York) Giants lost the World Series in 1923 (Yankees in 6) and 1924 (Senators in 7), then didn't win it all until 1933.

The Yankees lost the World Series in 1921 (Giants in 8 !) and 1922 (Giants in 4), then won it all in 1923.

The (New York) Giants lost the World Series in 1911 (Philadelphia A's in 6), 1912 (Red Sox in 7), AND 1913 (Philadelphia A's in 5), then didn't win it all until 1921.

The Tigers lost the World Series in 1907 (Cubs in 4), 1908 (Cubs in 5), AND 1909 (Pirates in 7), then didn't win it all until 1935.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Interesting question: Two-time (and three-time) World Series losers, back-to-back(-to-back):.
                            Well done. I hope the Rangers aren't the new Braves.

Comment

4 of the 7 who "only" lost twice in a row then WON a World Series within 3 years of that, including those Braves. Not such a bad vibe there...
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

4 of the 7 who "only" lost twice in a row then WON a World Series within 3 years of that, including those Braves. Not such a bad vibe there...
                                Beltre is the only player with a guaranteed contract beyond 2012. The current roster only has 2 more years to get over the hump.

Comment

Working...
                                X