World Series: Rangers vs. Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    Thoughts on Pujols' big mistakes this series? He had the one historic game, of course, in Game 3, but arguably he's as responsible as anyone for two of the three Cardinals losses. In Game 2, he misplayed the cutoff throw which allowed Andrus to get to second and then score on the second TEX sac fly of the 9th inning.

Then, yesterday, he twice blew the hit-and-run with Craig. In the 7th, Pujols himself put the hit-and-run on, and then failed to offer at the pitch which made it easy for Molina to nail Craig. In the 9th, probably with the 7th inning failure in his mind, he swung at ball four way outside to facilitate the strike 'em out, throw 'em out. If he had taken that pitch, they'd have loaded the bases against Feliz with no one out.

For the best player in MLB - which I have no doubt he is - those are critical mistakes in critical spots.
    Unnecessarily pressing, perhaps? I can't explain the fielding gaffe but pressing would explain what happened last night, twice.

Comment

Thoughts on Pujols' big mistakes this series? He had the one historic game, of course, in Game 3, but arguably he's as responsible as anyone for two of the three Cardinals losses. In Game 2, he misplayed the cutoff throw which allowed Andrus to get to second and then score on the second TEX sac fly of the 9th inning.

Then, yesterday, he twice blew the hit-and-run with Craig. In the 7th, Pujols himself put the hit-and-run on, and then failed to offer at the pitch which made it easy for Molina to nail Craig. In the 9th, probably with the 7th inning failure in his mind, he swung at ball four way outside to facilitate the strike 'em out, throw 'em out. If he had taken that pitch, they'd have loaded the bases against Feliz with no one out.

For the best player in MLB - which I have no doubt he is - those are critical mistakes in critical spots.
      Good analysis.

With The Cards blowing one scoring opportunity after another early on, you could just feel that game slipping to Texas. Very enjoyable series so far - let's play 7!
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

He's about 3 boo-boos away from being a guy that "inexplicable things just happen to" ala A-Rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          To be fair, they didn't trade him to Texas, Toronto did.

The Angels let him go because their manager didn't like his defense and places an extraordinarily high value on such things. Also because they thought they would have Morales back.
          They referred to him as "former Blue Jay, Mike Napoli" on the highlight reel this a.m. Tongue-in-cheek, but it was still silly.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I think that bullpen coach may not be back this year. LaRussa insists that if Motte had started warming when LaRussa called for him to start warming, he would have brought Motte in to pitch to Napoli. I don't doubt LaRussa, since leaving Scrabble in to pitch to Napoli doesn't seem like LaRussa. Even after Scrabble gave up the double, he still needed to buy more time for Motte to warm up, so bringing in Lynn to issue the IBB to Kinsler bought him more time than just asking Scrabble to issue the IBB.
            I thought I heard that LaRussa thought he was bringing in Motte to face Kinsler and when Lynn came in he said, "What are you doing here?" That would explain bringing in Lynn for the IBB instead of leaving Scrabble in the game for the IBB. I wasn't watching the game but now I wish I was. I was out celebrating my first goal in my new street hockey league.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              I thought I heard that LaRussa thought he was bringing in Motte to face Kinsler and when Lynn came in he said, "What are you doing here?" That would explain bringing in Lynn for the IBB instead of leaving Scrabble in the game for the IBB. I wasn't watching the game but now I wish I was. I was out celebrating my first goal in my new street hockey league.
              After a quick bit of research, I think that may also have been the first intentional walk of a Jewish player in World Series history.

Comment

After a quick bit of research, I think that may also have been the first intentional walk of a Jewish player in World Series history.
                Man, I would have guessed that Greenberg would have drawn an IBB in all those World Series ABs. I even checked the guys who converted, and found nobody else. You're the man, B.

Comment

I was thinking maybe Shawn Green but he didn't even get an AB for the Jays back in 93.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    I was thinking maybe Shawn Green but he didn't even get an AB for the Jays back in 93.
                    There was no need for intentional walks in that series, Mitch Williams and the other Phils relievers (Roger Mason excepted) issued plenty of unintentional ones.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      There was no need for intentional walks in that series, Mitch Williams and the other Phils relievers (Roger Mason excepted) issued plenty of unintentional ones.
                      good times.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

A lot of folks blamed Fregosi for sticking with Williams at closer, but what else was he supposed to do? Anderson and West, who had been the set-up guys all year, were just as bad in the Series.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Postponement = Chris Carpenter in a potential Game 7?
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                              Postponement = Chris Carpenter in a potential Game 7?
                              Probably. Wouldn't you rather have him than Lohse? Also means Holland can pitch on normal rest for Texas.
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Either way, Colby Lewis goes in game 6.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X