• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
    there is no joy in mudville, captain intangibles has struck out. :jackson:
    Strike 4
    "Knowledge is good." ---Emil Faber

"It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat." --- Judge Elihue Smails

"Integrity means that you are the same in public as you are in private." --- Joyce Meyer

"..........don't think; it can only hurt the ballclub." --- Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by TyWebb004 View Post
      Strike 4
      I was going to congratulate Valverde on his four pitch strike out. You stated it better.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Jeter striking out in huge 9th inning spots in two consecutive games against a shaky Valverde. I know it's bad when I can think of five or six guys on the team I'd rather have up in that spot than Jeter. He's still a decent enough table setter, I guess, but I have little confidence in him when we need an RBI. It's great to see Jorge looking so locked-in at the plate, but a big part of me would still love to see Girardi give Montero a shot when he needs an XBH.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          Jeter striking out in huge 9th inning spots in two consecutive games against a shaky Valverde. I know it's bad when I can think of five or six guys on the team I'd rather have up in that spot than Jeter. He's still a decent enough table setter, I guess, but I have little confidence in him when we need an RBI. It's great to see Jorge looking so locked-in at the plate, but a big part of me would still love to see Girardi give Montero a shot when he needs an XBH.
          Sometimes they hang them up. Sometimes they hold on too long.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by TyWebb004 View Post
            Strike 4
            Taking Strike 3 for a ball... now that's intangibles!
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              I want to see the strike zone chart for game 3. Though maybe I don't.

The PITCHf/x system in Comerica is reporting locations that are shifted an inch or two too far toward third base, which is why the ump appears to be calling more balls on the right-hand edge of those charts and more strikes on the left-hand edge of the charts.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                Taking Strike 3 for a ball... now that's intangibles!
                That pitch was a ball all night for CC, no reason for it to be a strike for Valverde. Please note, I'm not saying it wasn't a strike.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  That pitch was a ball all night for CC, no reason for it to be a strike for Valverde. Please note, I'm not saying it wasn't a strike.
                  You guys are talking about the 1-2 splitter Valverde threw to Jeter, right?

That pitch was right on the corner, and the call could have legitimately gone either way. (It's the green square at horizontal=-0.85 ft, vertical=1.77 ft in the RHB plot above.) But I don't see that Sabathia had any balls called near that location.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    You guys are talking about the 1-2 splitter Valverde threw to Jeter, right?

That pitch was right on the corner, and the call could have legitimately gone either way. (It's the green square at horizontal=-0.85 ft, vertical=1.77 ft in the RHB plot above.) But I don't see that Sabathia had any balls called near that location.
                    Yeah, that's true. I'm thinking that the TBS strike zone was way off. I felt like CC never got the low strike calls, maybe not in the same spot as the pitch to Jeter, based on their zone. But perhaps it was just a bad zone and I wish they didn't show that for every pitch like they do.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

The Yankees hopes rest on the shoulders of one A.J. Burnett. Kohm must be in utter torment.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        The Yankees hopes rest on the shoulders of one A.J. Burnett. Kohm must be in utter torment.
                        No utter torment would involve Red Sox. This is merely extreme distress.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Don Kelly with possibly the dumbest swing of the entire postseason, bases loaded, two outs, a staggering Burnett on the mound, 1-0 count. Odds of him throwing 3 strikes before 4 balls? less than zero.

collect a couple of walks to force in a couple of runs, get into the Yankees bullpen in the 1st inning, and then take a swing if you like.

not unusual for Burnett to right himself for a stretch once the worst has passed...
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Wow, Granderson with his 2nd amazing catch of the game.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Yeah, although it has to be said that the first great catch was only great looking because he totally misread the ball at first
                              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                                Yeah, although it has to be said that the first great catch was only great looking because he totally misread the ball at first
                                Not the worst sin on a shot to straight away center. The second catch was about as good as they get. I don't think it's possible to lay out any farther than he did, I could watch it on a loop for hours.
                                Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Working...
                                X