Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your biggest weakness as a fantasy GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I'm a lot the same way. Inability to trade is definitely my biggest failing. Then again, I'm fairly indecisive in life as well, so it's no big surprise that I'm poor at this.
    And indecision (confusion?!) on Mike Stanton/Saunders.

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
      I like trading too much!!!
      I always think I am getting ripped off which prevents me from trading.

Comment

funniest part of this thread is that with most of the weaknesses, I think, geesh, I never make that mistake.

then I realize that everyone else is thinking, "wow, that Judge guy is the dumbest trader of all time! what is he thinking?"

the guys in real trouble, though, are the guys who don't sense any weaknesses yet they never win!
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

prospect pitchers.

sigh.

Comment

During the draft is getting annoyed with owners who bid up my players at the last possible second. During the season its keeping track of the FA pool. I really didn't follow players in the FA pool that closely and when I did another owner would usually beat me to the punch. I also tend to have mancrushes on certain players which makes them harder to trade or cut bait. Finally, I tended to suffer from paralysis from overanalysis and would be difficult to trade with from time to time. But that also served me well numerous times.
            拖裤子,
            放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Oh my...do I have time to name them all

- Overvaluing guys who have "potential" upside, always thinking it is finally their year
              - Undervaluing moderate, steady hitting performers
              - Falling in roto-love with my own players, especially guys I scouted long before they became contributors
              - Being unwilling to pay market value for most pitchers, preferring to bargain shop (and often getting what I paid for)
              - Not being agressive enough in addressing weaknesses via the trade market
              - Letting my previously stated roto-love cloud my judgement when I am actively involved in trade discussions

Plus, my responsibilities at work have increased during the past few years, limiting the time I have to devote to roto...which means I need to be even sharper in my preparation.

(Why do I play this game, again? :-( )
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

i play in much easier leagues but, i have a soft spot for struggling managers and try to help them without hurting my chances too much. i don't look to make trades but im also really good at it. i can look at an opposing team and always tell what that manager is thinking or wish he had. since 2002 i've done at least 30 trades with 85%-90% being accepted by league and manager(s). im a pretend kingmaker.

Comment

Not knowing when to let go of some players. I have held on to players too long from time to time (Brandon Webb about 2 years ago is my best example and this extends to hockey also). I knew to move him and was going to do so, but I was going to do it during the offseason. Bit me real bad. I also don't seem to trade very well and seem to give up to much in trades I propose. Guess I am losing my edge.
                  Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

spending too much too early in the auction, I'm generally out of the action for the entire midgame
                    not cutting cheap starting pitchers quick enough, taking the WHIP/ERA beating

issues I've tried, and I think succeeded at recently, to resolve were around rarely drafting enough power, and routinely ending up with a crappy middle infield.
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Spending those couple of extra bucks I have left for dollar days too early at the end. Not going the extra buck for a starter I want figuring there will always be another decent starter to come up.

Comment

1 - Closers. I won't spend $30+ on the studs, and end up regretting the $10-$20 2nd tier guys I usually end up with.

2 - Too many $15 players. The problem with a $15ish player is that he often has no trade value, and that your upgrade from a 2nd tier guy to a stud can be minimal, especially if it's only for 2 months or so.

3 - Too many AB/IP. I tend to chase AB/IP, and figure that will give me an edge in counting stats, and the averages will work out. Unfortunately, the BA/ERA/WHIP holes I dig myself into can be tough to overcome.
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I consider people spending money on established closers to be chucking away dollars; as a result I basically take myself out of saves before the season gets going. I do the same thing with speedsters, who I see as two-category most of the time. The net result is that three months after auction, I get reamed in trades because I need saves and SB.

I also have an annoying tendency to forget there's a category in most leagues called AVG. That's not a big deal, right?

Comment

"The net result is that three months after auction, I get reamed in trades because I need saves and SB."

Yeah, I think this is the key to winning 5x5, really. Sucks to spend big on those categories, but you do have to be strong in ONE of them, usually - and definitely if it's a low-trading league. If you have a really good keeper list, feel free to wince and pay the market value for an elite closer or speedster. You can afford it.

Even with a so-so keeper list, at least try to keep getting hitters with 5-10 SB - you can sometimes get those steals for "free," and with a couple of speedy middle INFs, you could be fine.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

My weakness is falling in love with FA pitchers who come up and have a nice first start or two (or promoting similar guys from reserve), thinking I may catch lightning in a bottle a la Zach Duke 2005 or going back to 1999 when I picked up Tim Hudson. Of course usually they end up killing you once they're on the active roster, and quite often I'll find myself looking at my YTD pitching stats and thinking how much better my ERA/WHIP would be if I lopped off those 30 RA in 40 IP from a guy I shouldn't have picked up or activated. And I even find myself doing this when I have an excellent pitching staff otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                "The net result is that three months after auction, I get reamed in trades because I need saves and SB."

Yeah, I think this is the key to winning 5x5, really. Sucks to spend big on those categories, but you do have to be strong in ONE of them, usually - and definitely if it's a low-trading league. If you have a really good keeper list, feel free to wince and pay the market value for an elite closer or speedster. You can afford it.

Even with a so-so keeper list, at least try to keep getting hitters with 5-10 SB - you can sometimes get those steals for "free," and with a couple of speedy middle INFs, you could be fine.
                                Saves and Steals always seem to be the easiest categories to "trade away" because your trading partners need tends to be very clear. I have no problem coming out of the auction with too many of either, especially if the auction dynamics seem to be undervaluing one or the other.
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X