Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your biggest weakness as a fantasy GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually make one to many trades.

I am pretty good at see what stats I need to adjust my roster, but sometimes I over compensate for one category and hurt to much in another.

Comment

I know I trade too much. Sometimes it has worked out well, but I know for sure it cost me a championship a few years ago.

I cant be one of those guys who sits season after season w/out trading, and says, well this trade wont clinch a win for me so I will stand pat. I like to make lots of incremental improvements because otherwise we are just waiting out the clock of the season to see how our auction worked out. But I will definitely dial it back on my trade volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Hornsby is my biggest weakness. I have a soft spot for him because you guys are always picking on him.
        Awwwww, your like a big brother to me.

BTW, Call Ed and tell him to pick for DQ, will ya?
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I give up too much in my trades; my main rival bends over one owner after another and they keep coming back for more.

I manage the auction a bit better than he does, and feel like I'm way ahead sometimes in category analysis and in-season adjustments. But then he makes a great trade for himself and all the edge goes away, lol.

Example: Last year I was going for it and was chasing after Roy Halladay 44 units in mid-May. He asked for Bush 1 (to rebalance the roster) plus farmhands Buster Posey 10 and Mike Stanton 5, neither of whom were in the majors yet.

I figured Halladay easily could determine if I win the pennant (and he indeed got me within a whisker), I was getting him early in the season (a huge boost on my end), Posey at 10 wasn't dirt-cheap for any catching prospect - not even Matt Wieters, lol, and Stanton's power vs strikeouts issues were still being discussed (trust me, everyone may say he was a can't miss now, but not back then).

My rival said he'd have given Posey OR Stanton, but not both. Really? Someone would be kingmaker for just one (admittedly extremely highly-ranked) prospect? Plus I can even keep Halladay in 2011 and 2012 if I like (and I got Bush off my roster, heh).

The good thing is that the other owner is thrilled with how the two panned out, of course (btw I had to clear out farmhand slots if I was to make my 3 June picks, who ultimately included Taillon and Singleton. Also had no place to put Stanton with 6 good OFs).

In spite of all those compelling reasons for me to make that deal, maybe I should squeeze a little harder next time. But I always say that....
          Last edited by Judge Jude; 02-04-2011, 04:39 PM.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by axman View Post
            FA pickups. Usually love my team coming out of drafts but always seem to miss on free agent pickups.
            Ifs a fine line. I believe I've won a few leagues because of free agents pickups, and attribute winning the bid on some of those free agents to other owners not be willing to waive one of their players. This seems to be particularly the case with regard to waiving players in the minors who, while ranked high on prospect lists, are several years away, and not a sure thing once they do arrive. If while carrying these players you pass up the chance to grab a player who will help you win now, that young player is no longer so valuable, once you take the opportunity cost into account. To give an example, what if you passed on waiving Fernando Martinez a couple of years ago, and let someone else have Angel Pagan?

By the same token, I've cut loose too early players such as John Danks and Jose Tabata. I also wouldn't be surprised to see my waiver last July or August of Carlos Carrasco cut back to haunt me. It nearly did already in September.

As for my weakness, I am working on not getting sentimentally attached to players who've helped me win the previous year. Its hard to say its a new year, but you have to, and look at your team objectively, going forward.

Comment

My problems can be summarized in a word--

Too

Too many moves. Too many free agent pickups. Too impatient with the guys I get at the draft or auction.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

LoVE HITTING WHICH TENDS TO HURT MY PITCHING ON DRAFT DAY

Comment

1) I always, always end up leaving $10-$20 on the table at the end of the auction due to not being able to force myself to bid enough for the stars. Last year I had by far the best keepers and had to remind myself over and over to get Halladay and Holliday since those was the best available, and at least I got Roy but I still left about $15 on the table at the end (and had Nate F'ing McLouth in the OF).

2) I undervalue OBP since I figure that "good" players probably have good OBP and don't think about it again.

3) I undervalue Ks for basically the same reason, which is how I end up with Randy Wells and Tim Hudson etc.

But I still win, because I pay more attention to free agent pickups than most other people in my league (which has existed for something like 20 years so you'd think they'd learn), I actually plan for the future, and I am good at trading.

go fig.

- Mike
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Not ponying up the money to get a closer...which leads to lots of speculation with unsettled bullpens.

Comment

I refuse to give up on players who are not producing. McLouth for example.

Comment

Minor League Players. I'm a sucker to not want to trade or want to trade for the next best thing. I've tried to dial this back a bit the past year but I'm definitely an owner who tends to have one eye towards the current year and one to "next year when I can be really good" That never seems to work out...

Comment

Sitting near Hacko at the Pony auction.

Comment

Position scarcity. I'll get in a bidding war for a OF or 1B when the dropoff to the next guy is minimal, then end up with a crappy MI or C because of it.
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                              Sitting near Hacko at the Pony auction.
                              actually I think it is the Barbie doll laptop that u bring to the draft!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                                actually I think it is the Barbie doll laptop that u bring to the draft!!!!
                                Ahhh, so I should upgrade to a hello kitty case? Or perhaps just a big book!

Comment

Working...
                                X