K-Rod traded to Milwaukee per Jon Heyman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    It hasn't been "all 3" since those Reds Nasty Boys 20 yrs ago - Dibble, Myers and Charlton

and these 3 ain't that
    One has nothing to do with the other. But good for you for remembering that 20 years ago the Reds used Dibble, Myers and Charlton to close out games. The Mets are going to use all three until one of them proves to be better than the other. More likely, The Mets really want Parnell to have the job but don't want to put the pressure on him so they will ease him into it. What better way than to watch a veteran like Izzy close out games as his mentor.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by jackmadden View Post

In his weekly interview on WFAN today,he said he would likely lean on Izzy to start; but would like to work in Parnell & Beato at some point. He did say the goal was to name "someone as closer" since he believes having the title is key to the success.
      Last edited by revo; 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Interesting...K-Rod might be valuable yet

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post

http://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/...77472270278657
          that just craps all over my day.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post

http://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/...77472270278657
            Why would they pay him extra money to waive an option that they had control over?

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
              Why would they pay him extra money to waive an option that they had control over?
              I'm curious to know the amount as I'd trust Axford more than K-Rod at this point anyway.
              Might be a way to satisfy KRod/Boras/players union.

Comment

The only answer is that they intend to use him to finish games. Which is strange to me since lots of established closers get traded to new teams and serve in a set up role... why is Krod so different?
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  The only answer is that they intend to use him to finish games. Which is strange to me since lots of established closers get traded to new teams and serve in a set up role... why is Krod so different?
                  They could have had him finish a good number of games without triggering the option and without payng anything extra.

Comment

They could have had him finish a good number of games without triggering the option and without payng anything extra.
                    right so this could mean they would like to have him finish more than 21 games.

It could also mean the Brewers want to avoid an argument with the players union or they want a more motivated krod to pitch for them the next 2.5+ months. That may be wishful thinking on the part of this Axford owner though.

Comment

I guess they are serious about wanting to let him close out games. Otherwise, you're right, what's the point in giving him money to waive the option.

Comment

A couple of points...this gives Milwaukee flexibility to do what's best for the team without having to do a delicate dance regarding who closes the games out. And secondly, I can't see Boras caring much of anything about the current contract, unless I'm mistaken, the percentage goes to his old agent. Boras won't see anything until HE negotiates a deal for K-Rod...and that comes in 2012.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                          I guess they are serious about wanting to let him close out games. Otherwise, you're right, what's the point in giving him money to waive the option.
                          rw: According to David Waldstein of the New York Times, Francisco Rodriguez's vesting option for 2012 is now considered a mutual option.
                          The Brewers will simply buy out the option for $4 million and be done with it. Meanwhile, K-Rod will now get the chance to save some games for a contender before going out in search of a new multi-year contract this winter. While this could be a murky situation for fantasy owners, it's a very smart deal for all

So basically the Brewers told Krod his option was not going to vest and there was no way in hell he'd get his 17.5 mil or whatever next season. So they just bumped up the inevitable a few months and removed any obstacle from doing the right thing to win (i.e. not avoiding krod just because of the option). I dont think this means Krod is the favorite for saves yet but I wouldnt bet on that.

Comment

Sounds no different than kicking in some extra dough to get a guy to waive his no-trade clause.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I have no problem with anyone saying that Axford deserves to keep his job or that K-Rod should have no leverage.
                              But in the real world, it did not make sense to think this the Brewers could expect to get a "take it like a man" attitude out of K-Rod. It just wasn't going to work. Does that weigh against K-Rod's character?

I suppose it does. But he is who he is, and sometime the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
                              Axford, of course, has no leverage, either, really.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                A couple of points...this gives Milwaukee flexibility to do what's best for the team without having to do a delicate dance regarding who closes the games out.
                                Exactly. This gives the Brewers two front-rate closers, so if Axford was hurt, they'd still have K-Rod without a $17.5MM club over their head.

I'm very happy with the job Melvin's done so far. Now if he can just find a half decent replacement for Yuniautoout BetanKKKKourt, I'd be ecstatic.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X