No announcement yet.

K-Rod traded to Milwaukee per Jon Heyman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure Rodriguez will get a bone thrown his way, Jude -- especially in September once there's virtually no chance of him reaching his option. So he'll pick up a handful of saves. But he's a set-up man now for the most part. It's obviously painful for you to hear (as it would be me if I owned the guy), but it's the truth. I promise you'll be okay, though

Comment

Not to wish anybody ill, but it sure would be interesting to see what happened if Axford had a season ending injury this week.
      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
        Not to wish anybody ill, but it sure would be interesting to see what happened if Axford had a season ending injury this week.
        That would make T. Saito the closer. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          I wonder if they'll go committee. K-Rod has finished 34 games - several of them meaningless - and has 20 left in the tank before he gets the option. What you won't see is K-Rod finishing losing games, even if he's not the closer, in case Axford gets hurt later.
          Clearly you own K-Rod in your league so you are trying to talk yourself off the ledge.

In terms of K-Rod accepting this and if he'd lose money, I think he has enough of a track record that if his isn't getting saves for the second half of one season he won't be losing any money. Teams already know what he can do in terms of closing games and if he got zero saves for the second half teams won't all of a sudden think he's just a set up man and offer him that kind of money. As people have suggested he'll get a handful of saves.

On a side note, one thing that is interesting is what will they do when a game is out of hand, or they are up by just 4 runs and it's not a save situation, they might need to have someone other than K-Rod finish that game. Normally you might have your set up guy finish the non save situation to rest your closer but they will have to be careful not to do that here.

Great move by the Brew Crew.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Rotoworld is reporting that the Mets sent $5 Million to the Brewers to cover Krod's salary for the remainder of the year. Those 2 prospects may be more than just organizational depth.

Comment

Originally posted by mike9289 View Post
              Rotoworld is reporting that the Mets sent $5 Million to the Brewers to cover Krod's salary for the remainder of the year. Those 2 prospects may be more than just organizational depth.
              The thing is the Brewers don't have any prospects, so it is pretty safe to assume it may be organizational depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                We'd sure as heck get some great Boras quotes out of it, lol.

Comment

Why are people acting like KRod has any say in the matter? Milwaukee wasn't on his no-trade list so he either reports to the team or doesn't get a paycheck. Obviously teams know why he won't be closing so it's not like it will change any of their minds about his ability to close. I doubt KRod is happy about the move, but whining will only lessen his trade value.

To anyone who thinks the Brewers will allow KRod's option to kick in...you're crazy. Teams have learned their lesson about playing closers crazy money and while the Brewers aren't poor, they're not like the Yankees who could afford such a luxury. Plus, while we're worrying about KRod's feelings, what about Axford's? The dude's been pretty lights out for a full year and a half now (with better numbers than KRod) so it would be messed up to pull him from the role.

Comment

Good riddance to K-Rod. One more job well done by Alderson and Co. As a Mets fan, I am very pleased. I also liked the Nimmo pick in the draft. Now what about this Beltran deal?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      On a side note, one thing that is interesting is what will they do when a game is out of hand, or they are up by just 4 runs and it's not a save situation, they might need to have someone other than K-Rod finish that game. Normally you might have your set up guy finish the non save situation to rest your closer but they will have to be careful not to do that here.
                      Looking at the numbers briefly Latroy Hawkins has been really good. The downside we all know he can't end games either.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        In terms of K-Rod accepting this and if he'd lose money, I think he has enough of a track record that if his isn't getting saves for the second half of one season he won't be losing any money. Teams already know what he can do in terms of closing games and if he got zero saves for the second half teams won't all of a sudden think he's just a set up man and offer him that kind of money. As people have suggested he'll get a handful of saves.
                        Yep. And in this market, teams are way overpaying for established relievers anyway. He'll get a huge contract from someone regardless of what happens.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                          Looking at the numbers briefly Latroy Hawkins has been really good. The downside we all know he can't end games either.
                          Saito is currently healthy, I think. He's a good option for these kinds of outings.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Boras was quoted today as saying that Closers don't make good Set-Up men (referencing Rafael Soriano). Still don't think the Brewers will let him finish more than 20 games.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                              Boras was quoted today as saying that Closers don't make good Set-Up men (referencing Rafael Soriano). Still don't think the Brewers will let him finish more than 20 games.
                              Did someone tell him that whinny little bitches don't get big contracts?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                                The thing is the Brewers don't have any prospects, so it is pretty safe to assume it may be organizational depth.
                                Rotoworld:
                                During an appearance on SiriusXM on Wednesday morning, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin hinted that none of the team's top prospects will go to the Mets in the Francisco Rodriguez trade.
                                "We’ll find out about the players," said Melvin, who reportedly provided a five-player list to the Mets. "I believe any player that puts a Minor League uniform on has a chance to play in the big leagues. The level they play at is determined by the players. As far as our top top guys, it’s not going to happen but they’re players that could play in the big leagues." The Brewers' farm system was gutted following the offseason trades for Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum, so Mets fans shouldn't be expecting much from the two players to be named later. This deal was more about getting off the hook for K-Rod's $17.5 million vesting option.

Comment

Working...
                                X