No announcement yet.

K-Rod traded to Milwaukee per Jon Heyman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect the PsTBNL are not any of the top three or four guys left in the minors and certainly not any 2011 draft picks for obvious reasons. While the Brewers have few prospects left, they do have a few prospects. Probably not the names like those given up in the Greinke or Sabathia trades.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
      Boras was quoted today as saying that Closers don't make good Set-Up men (referencing Rafael Soriano). Still don't think the Brewers will let him finish more than 20 games.
      Did he tell the Yankees that before or after they signed him?

Comment

I can't believe for one minute that the Brewers are replacing Axford as closer. Axford is better (even after his atrocious start). Axford is cheaper. Axford is already part of the team chemistry. Rodriguez may get a save or two or five, here and there, but he's the set-up guy. They need to improve their pen, and he's perfect for that. And there is no way they let that option vest.

Comment

Adam McCalvy
          RRR says both K-Rod and @JohnAxford will close, and both will set-up. I'll have a story with his comments on Brewers.com.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that Scott Boras has made the case to Brewers general manager Doug Melvin that Francisco Rodriguez should close over John Axford.
            He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't. Boras would love to get the $17.5 million option to vest for his new client, but he also stands to benefit if K-Rod pitches well in a set-up role and finds a new multi-year deal to close this winter. For what it's worth, Heyman reports that Melvin has made no commitment on the situation, suggesting only that things "will work out." Jul 13, 12:59 PM
            Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM reports that John Axford has been assured that he will remain the closer in Milwaukee.
            As expected. Try as Scott Boras might, barring serious injury to Axford, there's no way the Brewers will allow Francisco Rodriguez's $17.5 million option to vest for next season. Feel free to drop K-Rod in mixed leagues. Jul 13, 1:24 PM
            Brewers manager Ron Roenicke told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that Francisco Rodriguez and John Axford will share the closer's role.
            Interesting. We assumed that K-Rod would immediately move into a set-up role, but that's apparently not the case. He likely won't finish enough games for his $17.5 million option to vest, but the situation could be a bit of a distraction as the Brewers contend for a playoff spot. We're still guessing Axford closes more games, but both pitchers figure to lose fantasy value if Roenicke sticks with this plan. Jul 13, 2:40 PM
            That clears it right up.
            Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

If by share, RR means not using Axford 3 straight days and not 3 out of 5, then yeah I can see them sharing closing duties. If Ax is effective and Krod gets more than 7 saves the rest of the way, I'll eat my hat.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Per RotoWorld...

Brewers manager Ron Roenicke told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that Francisco Rodriguez and John Axford will share the closer's role.
                Interesting. We assumed that K-Rod would immediately move into a set-up role, but that's apparently not the case. He likely won't finish enough games for his $17.5 million option to vest, but the situation could be a bit of a distraction as the Brewers contend for a playoff spot. We're still guessing Axford closes more games, but both pitchers figure to lose fantasy value if Roenicke sticks with this plan.
                I still find this hard to believe even if he said it. By "share" maybe he means Axford will get 95% of the saves, and K-Rod will get 5%. That's techincally "sharing"!

Comment

Has there been anything yet out of NY about Parnell vs Izzy?

- Mike
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                    Per RotoWorld...

I still find this hard to believe even if he said it. By "share" maybe he means Axford will get 95% of the saves, and K-Rod will get 5%. That's techincally "sharing"!
                    Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the "sharing" bit, like the "sharing" of the 2B job I was in when I was in the fourth grade. The "sharing" consisted of the coach's kid starting and playing until the last inning, when IF the game wasn't close I'd get an inning of defense only. In defense of the coach's kid, though, he was ten times the hitter I was. I'd have been alright with it had the coach been honest about it.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                      Has there been anything yet out of NY about Parnell vs Izzy?

- Mike
                      IMO it will be either Parnell or Beato - they will use the rest of this year to see if either of these youngsters can handle the job.

Izzy is not in their long term plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced View Post
                        IMO it will be either Parnell or Beato - they will use the rest of this year to see if either of these youngsters can handle the job.

Izzy is not in their long term plans.
                        for what it's worth, Karabell thinks it's Izzy, which is why I asked: http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/fa...all&id=6765910

- Mike
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Not sure it's relevant, but Izzy told the Mets the day before the trade that he loved playing in NY, and would love to stay here to CLOSE. The next day K-Rod was gone. Surely just a coincidence in the timing, but there definitely was a discussion where Izzy made it known he'd like to be a closer again for the Mets.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            for what it's worth, Karabell thinks it's Izzy, which is why I asked: http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/fa...all&id=6765910

- Mike
                            I just don't see it.

Making this trade and handing the job to a 39 year old Izzy makes no sense to me. I could actually see the Mets moving Izzy at the trade deadline.

Build towards next year - see what you got with either Parnell or Beato.

Comment

The weird part was Roenicke both would close AND set up.

If you're playing a game, you say both will close - when really Axford will close and K-Rod get the stray save.
                              But I think Roenicke specifically said Axford also would set up - why bother saying that if it's never going to happen? Just say you have "co-closers" and play it the way most of us would expect..
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced View Post
                                I just don't see it.

Making this trade and handing the job to a 39 year old Izzy makes no sense to me. I could actually see the Mets moving Izzy at the trade deadline.

Build towards next year - see what you got with either Parnell or Beato.
                                I think the point is that if you put Izzy in the closers job for the next couple of weeks and he succeeds his trade value will go up. There is no real urgency to turn the keys over to a youngster. They can make that move in September after the deadlines. Not saying i totally agree with that decision, but I definitely see therationale behind it.

Comment

Working...
                                X