K-Rod traded to Milwaukee per Jon Heyman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    In spite of the fact that this is breaking news and there are many unanswered questions, I am almost certain that the Brewers will not pick up his option. The buy out is like $3.5 million. This is a classic all in move.
    Its not a team option. It automatically vests at 55 games finished this season. Thats why its unlikely krod gets many saves the rest of the way. Its possible they intend to share the role but that never seems to work out very well and considering Ax is the better pitcher this year, its an easy choice.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Brewers blogger Jim Breen, who has sources inside the team, says K-Rod will act as the team's set-up man. I could see Rodriguez vulturing some saves late in the season when his option is no longer a concern, but otherwise, it's pretty clear to me that he's not a closer anymore.

Comment

As a Brewers Fan I'm pretty excited about this, but there is no way no how the brewers are gonna let him close and let that option vest. So with that said I sure hope K-Rod comes ready to pitch and this doesn't get ugly.

Comment

In response to a point made earlier, Axford hasn't been too bad recently in save situations. 2 of the 3 runs he gave up the last couple of appreances were not in a save situation. He seems to have trouble working clean innings but he certainly hasn't been a problem.
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Axford is less the issue than K-Rod recently firing his agent and hiring Boras.

Was that to ensure avoiding the big-bucks vesting year and setting up in a much smaller market after closing in the biggest market?

You tell me what Boras is up to.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

From Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told me tonight he doesn't think he'll have a closer controversy by adding Francisco "K-Rod" Rodriguez to the bullpen with incumbent closer John Axford.

One thing is certain: The Brewers will not let Rodriguez finish 21 more games over the remainder of the season. He already has finished 34 games, and if he gets to 55 games finished for the season, the $17.5 million option for 2012 automatically vests.

Comment

good luck with that.
                K-Rod hired Scott Boras last week:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...rn=mlb-wp12543''

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  good luck with that.
                  K-Rod hired Scott Boras last week:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...rn=mlb-wp12543''
                  Doesn't that suggest that K-Rod will need a new contract next year? Who needs a new agent if you think your option is going to automatically vest?

Comment

Ok some clarification: The Mets would have owed K-Rod the buyout $3.5M if his option didn't vest. The option is $17.5M for finishing 55 games. As an alternative to trading K-Rod they could have held him to under 55 games finished. There was good reason for K-Rod to hire a new agent however because like most players, he didn't want to be a one-year rental (no matter how lucrative the year) he wants a long-term contract and needs someone good to help him get it.

On to the trade. For the Brewers this sounds like a home run. They get K-Rod to shore up the pen, allegedly they're getting cash from the Mets and they're giving up PTNBLs (which could be the way the deal swings). For the Mets I don't really understand it unless the PTBNLs are of some value. If they are indeed sending Milwaukee cash with K-Rod why not finish paying K-Rod, pay the buyout and walk away? I guess what it boils down to is how much cash did they send and are the mystery players actually worth anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                      On to the trade. For the Brewers this sounds like a home run. They get K-Rod to shore up the pen, allegedly they're getting cash from the Mets and they're giving up PTNBLs (which could be the way the deal swings). For the Mets I don't really understand it unless the PTBNLs are of some value. If they are indeed sending Milwaukee cash with K-Rod why not finish paying K-Rod, pay the buyout and walk away? I guess what it boils down to is how much cash did they send and are the mystery players actually worth anything.
                      The Mets save $3.5 million and now they also don't have to deal with the Players' Union headache if/when they were to stop using Rodriguez as a closer in order to stave off the option year kicking in. It seems like a win-win for them here regardless of what players they get back. Any talent they glean off this would seem to be a bonus, in my opinion. I don't think the Players' Union could have won a case as long as the Mets addressed a move of K-Rod to a set-up role by saying they needed to assess their future talent in the role of closer. Still, the MLB Players' Union is one of the most powerful organizations in the history of unions, and avoiding that kind of legal headache is probably a good deal of relief for them.

Comment

Axford and Parnell/Beato owner, so I am sort of happy. As a jaded owner, no way K Rod gets to that option.

Comment

Traded K-Rod for Ichiro on Sunday. Happy guy
                          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Will be interested to see any K-Rod comments.
                            If he gives up a closer gig to a guy with a handlebar moustache with no qualms, count me surprised.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              Will be interested to see any K-Rod comments.
                              If he gives up a closer gig to a guy with a handlebar moustache with no qualms, count me surprised.
                              Isn't it all about money. If he pitches well (like R Soriano could have) he will have no problem finding a longer termish contract. Clearly, he was going to get screwed out of the $17.5 option in either event given the circumstances with the Mets anyway. He has to know that much. This is the same guy who beat up his father in law last year. He does not need to a malcontent as well.

Comment

I wonder if they'll go committee. K-Rod has finished 34 games - several of them meaningless - and has 20 left in the tank before he gets the option. What you won't see is K-Rod finishing losing games, even if he's not the closer, in case Axford gets hurt later.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X